Thai, Malaysian Leaders Say Thaksin Involved In Peace Process

webfact

The man whom allmost started a civil war is now involwed in peace talks?blink.png

The peace "deal" is a sham. 3 days before the BKK Governer election suddenly Yingluck announces a peace deal and she also claims that Thaksin helped to broker it.

They are a bunch of crooks. This whole peace deal is a lie and it was created to get more votes. Just unbelievable how low the Shins can go.. A decent person doesn't use the terrible situation in the south to mislead and cheat people.

Perhaps not. I'm no great lover of the Reds and have been a proud member of the "Thaksin's an idiot" club since he first popped up politically in the late 1990's, but I think the reds are going to romp it in today in BKK regardless of any of this.

All that people have said about Tak Bai is true, but Thaksin is nothing if not full of Hubris. Sure he has an agenda of some sort, but if a step towards peace in the south is a bi-product of that, then perhaps this will be one of the times that I will conceed something to Dear Leader.

• Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The man whom allmost started a civil war is now involwed in peace talks?blink.png

The peace "deal" is a sham. 3 days before the BKK Governer election suddenly Yingluck announces a peace deal and she also claims that Thaksin helped to broker it.

They are a bunch of crooks. This whole peace deal is a lie and it was created to get more votes. Just unbelievable how low the Shins can go.. A decent person doesn't use the terrible situation in the south to mislead and cheat people.

Perhaps not. I'm no great lover of the Reds and have been a proud member of the "Thaksin's an idiot" club since he first popped up politically in the late 1990's, but I think the reds are going to romp it in today in BKK regardless of any of this.

All that people have said about Tak Bai is true, but Thaksin is nothing if not full of Hubris. Sure he has an agenda of some sort, but if a step towards peace in the south is a bi-product of that, then perhaps this will be one of the times that I will conceed something to Dear Leader.

The sudden departure of Yingluck to Malaysia, the sudden announcement of a peace deal, the sudden announcement that Thaksin was involved....all politically motivated in order to get more votes.

Whether or not they would have won/ will win in Bangkok without this game nobody knows. All we know is that that the "announcement" had a purpose.

And announcing a peace deal when there is no real peace deal only creates more violence in the South. Think about it.

The sudden departure of Yingluck to Malaysia, the sudden announcement of a peace deal, the sudden announcement that Thaksin was involved....all politically motivated in order to get more votes.

Whether or not they would have won/ will win in Bangkok without this game nobody knows. All we know is that that the "announcement" had a purpose.

And announcing a peace deal when there is no real peace deal only creates more violence in the South. Think about it.

You know what, sure, all that is true which you say in the first 3 lines. But you know what, it is also just politics. All done not at the point of a gun. Shenannigans for sure. All that is needed now is for an effective opposition to call them out on it. Unfortunately, and it pains me to say it, but the Dems have their heads so far up their own <deleted> that that is an impossibilty at the moment.

As for a peace deal. There is no peace deal. Only the agreement to start talks. There was never any agreement for a ceasefire.

Any yes, I have thought about it.

Quotes got me.

You know what, sure, all that is true which you say in the first 3 lines. But you know what, it is also just politics. All done not at the point of a gun. Shenannigans for sure. All that is needed now is for an effective opposition to call them out on it. Unfortunately, and it pains me to say it, but the Dems have their heads so far up their own <deleted> that that is an impossibilty at the moment.

As for a peace deal. There is no peace deal. Only the agreement to start talks. There was never any agreement for a ceasefire.

This reminds me of October 31, 1968 when President Johnson announced the halt to the bombing of North Vietnam. It was just five days before the presidential election. Fortunately it did him no good. His party lost the election. Politicians have the same genes the world over.

Edited by Pimay1

Quotes got me.

This reminds me of October 31, 1968 when President Johnson announced the halt to the bombing of North Vietnam. It was just five days before the presidential election. Fortunately it did him no good. His party lost the election. Politicians have the same genes the world over.

put some quotes in there for ya ;)

Politicians playing politics. Who would of thought?

People have to get beyond the faux suprise that people would actually do things like this and try and focus onto the issues.

• Like 2

Sure the insurgents in the deep south have targetted the military ,even more so the teachers and they'd have probably have liked to have a pop at the key politicians too....... only they never go anywhere near there.

Sure the insurgents in the deep south have targetted the military ,even more so the teachers and they'd have probably have liked to have a pop at the key politicians too....... only they never go anywhere near there.

Never give up hope they say.Chalerm is supposed to go there.

Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

What a bizarre story. After Tak Bai, I would have thought there would be a contract out on Thaksin, rather than a position at some sort of south Thailand peace brokering...... This has to be some sort of feel good bullshit cooked up as part of the whitewashing of Thaksin.

If fatwa can be issued against Salman Rushdie I'm very surprised that there isn't one out on Thaksin.

Maybe Muslim religious leaders are less radical than many TV posters.

The very fact that you concentrate on Thaksin and some face book comments and rather appear to have missed the point that many military have been assassinated in the south, and many of the insurgent attacks are aimed specifically at the military, would suggest you require a more comprehensive reading list to increase your awareness and understanding......................

Perhaps if you stopped misusing the term "assassination" for the murder of RTA personnel, the discussion would be more co-ordinated. Unless of course you are referring to the murder of some prominent public figure of which only you are informed.

Oh dear Mick next time you double check the meaning of a word on wiki try to get past the first sentence, in this case as far down as the paragraph "as a tool of insurgents"...in my book any premeditated attack which is designed to shoot and kill a specific military person in a situation where that person is not given the option of being captured, imprisioned, and has no route of escape,.... is assassination........you are entitled to call it as you see it 'officers only' if you think that makes some difference

Sorry, i don't use wiki as a dictionary. I prefer something recognised as a source, rather than where any idiot can change the definition.

But I'll play your silly game. Please prove to me that the insurgents are targeting specific members of the RTA with their roadside bombs rather than anybody in a uniform who gets close. Have any senior officers been targeted, sucessfully or not?

Having just read the wiki definition, the section on insurgency does NOTHING to change the original definition which includes "Assassination is the murder of a prominent person or political figure........"

I always refer to Chris Rock's erudite illustration of how to use the word 'assassinated' whenever I come across people arguing over its proper use:

What a bizarre story. After Tak Bai, I would have thought there would be a contract out on Thaksin, rather than a position at some sort of south Thailand peace brokering...... This has to be some sort of feel good bullshit cooked up as part of the whitewashing of Thaksin.

If fatwa can be issued against Salman Rushdie I'm very surprised that there isn't one out on Thaksin.

Maybe Muslim religious leaders are less radical than many TV posters.

Otherwise it could be keep your friends close but enemies closer...

What a bizarre story. After Tak Bai, I would have thought there would be a contractout on Thaksin, rather than a position at some sort of south Thailand peace brokering...... This has to be some sort of feel good bullshit cooked up as part of the whitewashing of Thaksin.

Tony Blair is a peace missionary now. His track record of starting many wars has won him this role. Thaksin is following the same trail. If this sort of thing can happen in farang countries, why can it not be so in Thailand??

You missed the part on Thaksin being a convicted criminal who also is a fugitive, did you? No way can any farang more than just try to clear the path for St. Thaksin the Just bah.gif

That just goes to show that Thailand has a better justice system that UK. I am sure that I am not the only foolhearted person that believes Tony Blair should be tried for war crimes.

Edited by justathought

Another killing in the South today as a member of a village security team was shot in Narathiwat as he was riding his motorcycle this morning.

Assailants hiding in a rubber field shot him as he passed by. After he fell off the bike, they walked up to him and shot him again in the head.

The bitterness is in full flow here. It must be hard being a Thaksin hater these days as he, his sister and his party go from strength to strength. Come Monday he'll be in control of Bangkok as well.

Instead of being abused by his spiteful, jealous enemies he must be highly commended for playing a major role in a significant step towards a more peaceful South.

... strength to ... something ...

• Like 2

Another killing in the South today as a member of a village security team was shot in Narathiwat as he was riding his motorcycle this morning.

Assailants hiding in a rubber field shot him as he passed by. After he fell off the bike, they walked up to him and shot him again in the head.

Probably an extrajudicial execution by army hit squads.

• Like 2

Intelligence warns against 8 bombs in downtown Pattani and car bomb in Songkhla

YALA, 6 March 2013 (NNT) – A state employee in Yala has been arrested for involvement with several bombing incidents in the province.

Masaophi Domae, an employee of the Department of Highways's Yala office, was found with 10 mobile phones, electrical repair equipment and more than a hundred electronic circuit boards in his possession. Forensics officials were testing his DNA and will continue his interrogation at the base of Yala Task Force 11. Mr. Masaophi denies involvement with the bombings.

Meanwhile, the commander of the Pattani Task Forces has told the troops in 12 districts of Pattani to tighten inspections at checkpoints and increase route patrols, after intelligence warned of RKK militants preparing to plant 8 bombs in downtown Pattani. According to Major General Thawat Sukplang, the 8 bombs were moved out of Yarang district and are being kept on the outskirts of Mueang district.

Furthermore, intelligence has indicated that a 40-kilogram bomb was being kept inside a white Mitsubishi sedan that had two black stripes on its hood.

The car bomb is allegedly meant to be detonated in Songkhla province.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-03-06 footer_n.gif

With the continuing 'accidents' down South even with, despite or just because of Thaksin being involved in a peace process I'm wondering about that old saying

with friends like this who needs enemies

What a bizarre story. After Tak Bai, I would have thought there would be a contractout on Thaksin, rather than a position at some sort of south Thailand peace brokering...... This has to be some sort of feel good bullshit cooked up as part of the whitewashing of Thaksin.

I was thinking the same thing with your former president, but to no avail.

30201690-01_big_zps8ce23730.jpg

Yala bomb attack kills one, injures two

A volunteer ranger was killed and two were wounded Monday when a M26 grenade hidden under the driver's seat exploded while their pickup truck was travelling on a road in Yala's Raman district. Manat Satsue, 27, Vichit Chomwichian, 28, and Chatmongkol Thongthammachart, 27, were sent to Yala Hospital, where Manat died.

The three men were returning from a garage where the vehicle had been repaired.

In Bangkok, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohammad had allowed a delegation of 15 officials led by Chalerm to meet him in Langkawi on March 28.

The BRN group that had held peace talks with Pol Lt General Paradorn Pattanathabut, Secretary-General of the National Security Council, was the "real" force behind the insurgency in the South, he said.

"The Malaysian prime minister also insists that they are the real one. If not, why would he want to host the meeting and why would the Malaysian supreme commander and other Malaysian top security officials want to take part in the meeting? If Malaysia refuses to harbour insurgents, we'll benefit,'' he said.

Seeking reconciliation in the troubled South was not a pipe dream, he said.

"We dream of establishing peace through negotiations and reducing conflicts but critics are envious of us and do nothing.

The government has treaded on the right path,'' he said.

It was proper for the military to represent the Thai side in negotiating with the rebels since they have been working in the area and know it the best. The government has to listen to them, he said.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has given him a clear order to inspect the restive region following the escalation in violence and he has no choice but obey.

"If I don't go to the South, I will definitely be sacked,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-11

30201748-01_big_zps044bbd7d.jpg

Chalerm to meet Mahathir over South

In Bangkok, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said former Malaysian leader Mahathir Mohammad had agreed to meet a delegation of 15 officials led by Chalerm on Langkawi Island on March 28.

The BRN group that held peace talks with Pol Lt General Paradorn Pattanathabut, secretary-general of the National Security Council, was the "real" force behind the insurgency in the South, he said.

"The Malaysian prime minister also insists that they are the real ones. If not, why would he want to host the meeting and why would the Malaysian supreme commander and other Malaysian top security officials want to take part in the meeting? If Malaysia refuses to harbour insurgents, we'll benefit," he said.

Seeking reconciliation in the troubled South was not a pipe dream, he said.

"We dream of establishing peace through negotiations and reducing conflicts but critics are envious of us and do nothing. The government has taken the right path."

It was proper for the military to represent the Thai side in talks with the rebels since they had been working in the area and knew it the best. The government had to listen to them, he said.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had given him a clear order to inspect the restive region following an escalation in violence and he had no choice but to obey.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichakchaikul said the meeting between the NSC's Paradorn and the BRN on February 28 was only about agreeing to hold peace talks in the future.

"If it were a negotiation, we'd have to upgrade the status of the group. According to our Constitution, separatism is not allowed. We don't want anyone to politicise this issue and create public misunderstanding. The agreement to hold peace talks does not guarantee that there will be no violence in the South,'' he said.

Although the government had been ridiculed for dealing with a faction that had no real power in the separatist movement, it was at least getting the ball rolling and that would help encourage other groups to initiate dialogue.

"If we don't make a start, we won't be able to do anything. We're ready to talk with other groups,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-12

Now the real PM has stated her big brother is not involved in the peace process. Any guess who is lying through their teeth?

Now the real PM has stated her big brother is not involved in the peace process. Any guess who is lying through their teeth?

It's a delicate situation, the negotiations need to be based on trust and fine diplomacy... that's why we have the official and unofficial PMs lying and a lout like Chalerm taking care of the diplomatic stuff.

It's a sick joke.

Seems what we have here is a failure to communicate, it a sympton of a disfunctional system. More cracks in the Thaksin machines, no wonder he has taken over the complete control of the PTP.

• Like 1

In Bangkok, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said former Malaysian leader Mahathir Mohammad had agreed to meet a delegation of 15 officials led by Chalerm on Langkawi Island on March 28.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had given him a clear order to inspect the restive region following an escalation in violence and he had no choice but to obey.

Major insurgent movement expected ahead of March 28 talks with BRN

BANGKOK, 14 March 2013 (NNT) - Intelligence reports suggest that core leaders of rebel groups operating in the Deep South of Thailand are set to hold a secret meeting ahead of the government’s scheduled talks with the BRN on March 28th.

According to intelligence, the meeting of insurgent groups is expected to take place on March 18th in Kelantan state of Malaysia.

At least 400 youth members of the Permudan Baru rebel group are also expected to receive training in unspecified locations to spread unrest in the southern border provinces. The emerging group comprises newly trained insurgents who will replace captured and slain RKK militants.

Another report stated that a series of major insurgent attacks is due to take place in the middle of April, raising concerns for security personnel in the region.

Heavy security presence is expected to be maintained for the next two months.

The report came after the National Security Council told the press that the BRN was scaling back activities while most separatists were set to call for the establishment of a special administration zone in the Deep South.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2103-03-14 footer_n.gif

Major insurgent movement expected ahead of March 28 talks with BRN

BANGKOK, 14 March 2013 (NNT) - Intelligence reports suggest that core leaders of rebel groups operating in the Deep South of Thailand are set to hold a secret meeting ahead of the government’s scheduled talks with the BRN on March 28th.

According to intelligence, the meeting of insurgent groups is expected to take place on March 18th in Kelantan state of Malaysia.

At least 400 youth members of the Permudan Baru rebel group are also expected to receive training in unspecified locations to spread unrest in the southern border provinces. The emerging group comprises newly trained insurgents who will replace captured and slain RKK militants.

Another report stated that a series of major insurgent attacks is due to take place in the middle of April, raising concerns for security personnel in the region.

Heavy security presence is expected to be maintained for the next two months.

The report came after the National Security Council told the press that the BRN was scaling back activities while most separatists were set to call for the establishment of a special administration zone in the Deep South.

A rebel group known as Warriors of Fatoni that is opposed to the proposed talks has ordered hundreds of its members to be on standby to begin various attacks across the South beginning today.