Squat Toilets To Be Scrapped In A Bid To End Knee-Arthritis, Boost Tourism: Thailand

webfact

Arthritis from the practice of squatting over the toilet???!!!............Give me a break.....It takes alot more joint abuse than toilet squating to develope arthritis....Now I can see already having arthritis already and agravating the issue from squatting...who comes up with this ridiculous stuff?

The article does not claim it is only squat toilets that cause arthritis in the knees. It assumes that most people realize that and it was not worth mentioning.

I have had to install a western style toilet for my 86 year old mother in law as she could not use the squat toilet any more.

The number of times I have seen Thais using there knees makes me wonder why the problem is not more wide spread. As for squatting on sit down toilets well hire trainable girls.

hellodolly I took your advice and just mentioned hiring a couple of trainable girls to my old gf and she threatened me again with her straight razor. Got any more suggestions?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do I detect some of the use of the evil concept "adaptation"? Can we be entering the 21st century? Is it possible Thailand is ready to posit itself as a developed country? Are they ready for western style? Wow. Major progress. I think with this move, we could see major strides, as this country attempts to adapt itself to a new century.

A little bit early for April Fools, isn't it? They can change to western style toilets but 50 years from now Thais will still be squatting on standard toilet seats.

Edited by metisdead
: Over size font reset to normal.
  • Like 1

Makes no difference,the locals still squat on the western toilets,that's evident from the colour of the seats in places such as Tesco and Big C.

Thanks for the info. Most of us don't stay in Tesco and Big C toilets long enough to notice.

Edited by aguy30
  • Like 1

This is so stupid! Why is everyone so eager to believe the government?

The westernization of Thailand... too bad. welcome the modern world diseases!

For the knowledge, the squat toilet provides so many health benefits. It does not cause arthritis at all.

It's the best position for defecating, it leaves the rectus in the position for best bowel movement.

It does provides so many benefits, such such as prevention of Hemorrhoids, Hernia, prostate disorders, colon disorders, constipation, color cancer, and even some say it prevents prostate cancer.

if you dont believe, just google for "Squat toilet prevents hemorrhoid and benefits" http://www.naturesplatform.com/health_benefits.html

I'm a Farang and I only use squat toilets for the sake of my health. it's the natural position of human to do it... if you care about your health, install a squat toilet in your house.

so, Now this stupid government which does not understand sh*t about anything, believes it will generate more money from tourism and sacrifice the health of Thais if there is not squat toilets. how stupid can people be...

PS: what is causing arthritis to Thais are the excess of Calcium in the new unhealthy diet.
  • Like 1

yes knee arthritis is due to squat toilets rather than due to a lifetime of toil and poor nutirtion

who comes up with this shit?

And how will a squat in every home boost tourism? I personally cannot remember the last time i knocked on a peasant's door and politely asked them if it was ok to quickly smap one off

Edited by candypants

cwdavi1, on 19 Mar 2013 - 16:20, said:

"Deputy Public Health Minister Cholanan Srikaew said that squat toilets are a major contributor to osteoarthritis in the knee."

And what evidence does he have for this? Did this perhaps come out of his rear end?

Since I've lived in Thailand for several years I'm wondering if someone has cornered the market on sit down toilets and is ready to cash in.

Wayne

I can guarantee you that if i ever got myself into a squat position and did #2,

i would not be able to extricate myself from it!

But then again, I'm not a Thai Native

<deleted>???clap2.gif yep...that will boost tourist numbers! Never mind the scams and the riots, the flood and the rapes- taking a good, calm and SEATED dump, is exactly what the tourists need!

...seriously...you couldn't make this sh1t up, even if you tried very, very hard!

<deleted>??? clap2.gif

Yes....finally something sensible to boost tourism!

Never mind the scams and the riots, the flood or the rapes!

having a quiet and seated dump, is what the tourists want!

...seriously (pun intended): you couldn't make this sh1t up, even if you tried very , very hard!

• Like 1

i am back in the UK at the moment, i squat on our throne, then jump into the bath to hose down with the shower head. just thought you would like to know....

While we are on the subject of relieving ourselves, for all you squatter and sitting guys both let me give you a little hint from personal experience if you don't already know. Never offer an Arab a cigaratte with your left hand.

Well, squat toilets sound more hygienic to me though, when you see all the stuff we have to deal with to make those sit-on toilet hygienic in Europe, ... and when it's not, well you have to clean them yourself, or just go to the next one hoping it'll be cleaner, what is usually not the case.

IMO, sit-on toilets are good for home, and the public ones should be squats, but again, for that arthritis problem, are we sure it's because of squatting, most animals take their dump in the same position, so seems a bit weird it would not be more natural to do so for us.

The Only animal that has knees on rear legs is an Elephant so to compare humans to animals taking a dump is a bit silly

i am back in the UK at the moment, i squat on our throne, then jump into the bath to hose down with the shower head. just thought you would like to know....

While we are on the subject of relieving ourselves, for all you squatter and sitting guys both let me give you a little hint from personal experience if you don't already know. Never offer an Arab a cigaratte with your left hand.

Before this post I wouldn't have offered anything to an Arab. I might reconsider. Thanks!

• Like 1

I see Thais squatting all the time to eat, are they going to ban that as well?

You don't see Thais in the squatting position when they are driving vehicles (although some might ). They certainly adapted quickly.

Makes no difference,the locals still squat on the western toilets,that's evident from the colour of the seats in places such as Tesco and Big C.

And you have to ask yourself why they do. Full squatting improves bowel evacuation by at least 100% because it speeds up and improves elimination by increasing the strength of the bowel contractions. It's no wonder Westerners have reading material in toilets. Full squatting is nature's intended way to evacuate the bowels, not while sitting on a high toilet seats.

It could be a tossup between a possible increased risk of knee arthritis or bowel cancer. Choose your poison.

I don't believe the osteoarthritis is caused by toilet squatting. Thai people often spend hours a day in the full squat position - I don't see a daily 15 second bowel evacuation as being the cause.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

This is so stupid! Why is everyone so eager to believe the government?

The westernization of Thailand... too bad. welcome the modern world diseases!

For the knowledge, the squat toilet provides so many health benefits. It does not cause arthritis at all.

It's the best position for defecating, it leaves the rectus in the position for best bowel movement.

It does provides so many benefits, such such as prevention of Hemorrhoids, Hernia, prostate disorders, colon disorders, constipation, color cancer, and even some say it prevents prostate cancer.

if you dont believe, just google for "Squat toilet prevents hemorrhoid and benefits" http://www.naturesplatform.com/health_benefits.html

I'm a Farang and I only use squat toilets for the sake of my health. it's the natural position of human to do it... if you care about your health, install a squat toilet in your house.

so, Now this stupid government which does not understand sh*t about anything, believes it will generate more money from tourism and sacrifice the health of Thais if there is not squat toilets. how stupid can people be...

PS: what is causing arthritis to Thais are the excess of Calcium in the new unhealthy diet.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head.

I first learned the difference from going on camping trips where I would have to full squat in the forest. The increased pressure generated from a full squat is incredible.

Yes, that's true Tropo - apparently squatting is the best way, there was even a book published on the subject (can't remember the title) - I'm surprised that it's linked to arthritis - like 'wwex' wrote, Thais squat for lots of reasons; commonly I've seen eating and washing dishes - I'd say it long-term squatting that does the knees in, not using the toilet.

• Like 1

actually as funny as this all is...physiologically speaking, the proper way that the body should be positioned when doing your business is ....from a standing position, squat, but not all the way down....kind of in a position between standing straight up and your quads being completely horizontal...the reason is because you want to keep the intestinal tract in a more elongated place in order to allow things to move freely down...and let gravity take over ...having to do less pushing and possibly straining yourself (hemmorroids etc)....sitting on a toilet or squatting too far down, can crunch up the intestinal tract in a way to make things alittle more difficult to come out as easy.....

I disagree. A full squat position does it best. You should try it.

Yes, that's true Tropo - apparently squatting is the best way, there was even a book published on the subject (can't remember the title) - I'm surprised that it's linked to arthritis - like 'wwex' wrote, Thais squat for lots of reasons; commonly I've seen eating and washing dishes - I'd say it long-term squatting that does the knees in, not using the toilet.

That's right. Unfortunately once you have arthritis in the knee the full squat becomes problematic. I can't easily full squat anymore because of arthritis, but I keep the height of the toilet as low as possible by not using the toilet seat. Even those few inches makes a big difference. Standing on blocks is another way to bring the height down for people with bad knees.

I can't understand why anyone would want to sit in a smelly bathroom reading a book. The job should be done within 15 - 20 seconds at most.

1st. I wash thoroughly, and then sit on a squat toilet... giggle.gif

2nd. The article closed with, quote "The ministry also hopes that the campaign will also make it easier for tourists to conduct their personal business in Thailand's countryside.", unquote.

Somebody, get me a few large leaves, please.... whistling.gif

-mel.

• Like 1

I will just shit on the floor and squirt it with the hose.Mrs said I couldnt in the kitchen,I said it will be good it will keep the flies off my dinner while I am eating.She just went out I have got an idea she will not be back

Thais are born to squat. Their knee junctions differ from the farang ones.

They can sit/squat on their 'flat' feet for hours and it's okay.

Seems evolution comes to Thai bobo's minds earlier for some reason.

'Listen to me, I make a statement and I know what I am talking about as I have no clue whatsoever. Mind you I am a bobo.'

Still worries me that at least quite some people will take this serious.