Motorcyclists!

bobl

<rant>

So Mrs Bobl forgets her photos for a document she needs to pick up. We head off in search of a shop where we can get some printed and in she pops. I'm outside - engine running, checking my email on the phone.

Mrs Bobl hops back in and I go to reverse to get out of the space - crunch. Someone's come and parked their bike 6 inches off my rear bumper (had to reverse to get out, because someone else had come and parked 6 inches off my front bumper...). No damage done, no issues apart from the rider getting a telling off from Mrs Bobl. Point is - bike at the rear was parked such that it couldn't be seen in either side mirror, or the rearview. How stupid do you need to be to park like that?! Really effed up my mood.

<end rant>

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif That's better...

• Like 2

Happens all the time. I have a habit of a visual look at the back of my car if I have to reverse back on any busy high street. People have no concept of leaving space, only interested in a parking spot even centimeters from a car.

I am pretty sure that is the responsibility of the driver of any vehicle. I also think it is not smart on the part of anyone driving a motorcycle or a car to park that way. That does not take the onus off the driver checking. I have had this happen to me (me being the car driver) so I can understand the rant. Still, it was my responsibility to check before I moved the car.

There are some motorcycle drivers that park that way on purpose, then try to get an exorbitant amount for little or no damage. Insurance in Thailand works much different than what I remember in the USA.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Wow, a fellow who damages someone's motorcycle because he backs up without getting out of his car to check his blind spot rants as if he was the one hard done by! Thai Visa is an amazing place! smile.png

Wow, a fellow who twists posts to fit his own agenda. I guess you're one of the nimrods who think it's okay to park like this because if anything happens it's "the other guy's fault"? Thai Visa is indeed an amazing place!

Did I stutter when I said

no damage done, no issues

? I didn't say it wasn't my fault, were there any damages it would have been taken care of.
  • Like 1

Wow. I remember way back in Drivers Ed Class, they always taught us to make sure nothing behind us before backing up. Imagine if it was a small child walking/ standing back there. You should have your license revoked immediately!

Also, you were sitting in the damn car with the engine! Surely you saw someone drive up and park immediately behind you.

• Like 1

Wow. I remember way back in Drivers Ed Class, they always taught us to make sure nothing behind us before backing up. Imagine if it was a small child walking/ standing back there. You should have your license revoked immediately!

Also, you were sitting in the damn car with the engine! Surely you saw someone drive up and park immediately behind you.

Pretty dumb parking m/c so close behind a truck with engine running. Driver might've already checked behind his truck & seen the "all clear".

Happens all the time. I have a habit of a visual look at the back of my car if I have to reverse back on any busy high street. People have no concept of leaving space, only interested in a parking spot even centimeters from a car.

Yep, took me a while to learn to get out the motor and double check, pain in the ass but saves hassle. smile.png

at the time, was parking limited? It would seem it was tight even to park a motorbike if there was one front and back so close to your car. Maybe you should have parked it where there was more room.

Nope. It wasn't even that busy, there were several empty spaces. In fact I was parked immediately after where a no parking zone ended, so technically the bike was in a no parking zone.

I have been on the recieving end of this, came out of a supermarket and my bikes on the floor with the stupid car driver just standing there looking at my bike,gave the driver some verbal and put my foot straight through his rear lights,got on the bike and drove off.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

at the time, was parking limited? It would seem it was tight even to park a motorbike if there was one front and back so close to your car. Maybe you should have parked it where there was more room.

Nope. It wasn't even that busy, there were several empty spaces. In fact I was parked immediately after where a no parking zone ended, so technically the bike was in a no parking zone.

This is Thailand, m/c has first choice of parking space.

If it blocks you in, you move the m/c out, move yourself out, then (if a polite person) move the m/c back in.

Some places even employ m/c handlers, who will re-arrange the m/c parking as the day progresses.

It's not brain surgery.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

I have sat in my ride waiting for her ladyship, engine running, yards in front, yards behind, to have folk park their bikes on the front and rear bumper. sad.png Daft or what, yes//no. The mrs has had to see me out of the ridiculous situation. There is NO thought for others, period. sad.png

• Like 2

So many times I have parked car with ample space front and back.Come back a short time later. Bikes jammed in tight front and back. Just have to move them out of the way to even stand a chance of getting out. Just part of the charms of living in Thailand biggrin.png Just routine for me, no problem.

• Like 1

Somewhere in this forum I read a recommendation that one should buy a used car, then spend an hour or two with a sledge-hammer banging it up; with this accomplished Thai drivers will keep a very respectable distance away. Perhaps this would solve the m/c parking problem.