Security Law Should Be Used To Control Red-Shirt Rally: Senator

webfact

Security law should be used to control red-shirt rally: senator
Olan Lertrudtanadumrongkul
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Appointed Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn yesterday called on the government to impose a security law to deal with a planned mass rally of Thaksin Shinawatra supporters outside Constitution Court Wednesday, saying the same standard should be used when the police forcefully dispersed an anti-Thaksin rally late last year.

"If the government does nothing to deal with the red shirts using the 2008 Security Act, it could be deemed as practising double standards," he said.

Somchai also offered a way out to the Pheu Thai-led government. "It could announce that the number of protesters will not be large and hence, a special law and control measures were not needed," he added.

The red shirts, led by a group of DJs hosting pro-Thaksin radio programmes, are vowing to bring 100,000 people from 37 provinces to converge outside the court at the government complex on Bangkok's Chaeng Wattana Road, to protest against the court's role in what they consider is against this government.

A source said Pheu Thai executives had tried to talk the red-shirt leaders out of the rally, but have failed to convince them. Both sides later reached an agreement that the rally would not be held if fewer than 100,000 people turned up on Wednesday.

A number of red-shirt protesters have been camping outside the compound for 15 days running.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-07

So, if 99,000 people turn up and the rally is cancelled all 99,000 people will peacefully return home? That's nice.

I'm a bit puzzled about the red-shirts protesting the Constitutional Court with Pheu Thai executives urging them not to. What have Pheu Thai executives to do with red-shirts? I'd expect some of the PT party list MPs and UDD leaders to do the urging.

BTW interesting to have all Pheu Thai MPs disobeying the Constitutional Court and their party executives to urge red-shirts not to protest. It must be difficult at times to remember where one stands and why.

It doesn't matter how many laws are in existence and are applicable as the key issue is implementation and this government has no will to control the reds which only emboldens them and it's reached the point where the government and PTP are losing control anyway so it's only a matter of time before elements of the reds turn on PTP and the administration. If Mr. T sees this as being to his benefit there's no way he will reel the reds in.

So, if 99,000 people turn up and the rally is cancelled all 99,000 people will peacefully return home? That's nice.

I'm a bit puzzled about the red-shirts protesting the Constitutional Court with Pheu Thai executives urging them not to. What have Pheu Thai executives to do with red-shirts? I'd expect some of the PT party list MPs and UDD leaders to do the urging.

BTW interesting to have all Pheu Thai MPs disobeying the Constitutional Court and their party executives to urge red-shirts not to protest. It must be difficult at times to remember where one stands and why.

I'm sure Khun Yingluck would be the first to agree with you. smile.png

I don't know about a security law but the riot act should be introduced, there by giving security forces unlimited power, including live rounds , any one over stepping the mark , full force to be used, red shirts need to understand that they are not above the law, if the police let them become this way, then the police and DSI have to answer, why.bah.gif

• Like 1

As soon as last year's rally was announced, Chalerm was all over the news saying how he would mobilise 50,000 police. Come the date of the rally, those police, and rolls of barbed wire, were used to prevent, or at least hinder, people from attending, and the tear gas came out almost instantaneously. No doubt, given the publically made intentions of the reds, the Constitution Court building is already getting a secure area placed around it and the police have their plans drawn up? I suspect I already know the answer to that one. The government would actually benefit from a prolonged siege of the courthouse.

PTP won't do anything. The actions taken to hinder the anti-government rally last year, including blocking people travelling into Bangkok to support it, will not be repeated. The judges will have to face the intimidation from the red storm troopers with little if any help from the police. All part of the plan to undermine the CC and push through the whitewash. How much trouble, cost and suffering can one person cause a country? Guess we shall see.

Look to history - the night of the long knives. Maybe the same fate awaits the red shirts once they've served their purpose?

The poor senator needs to understand that laws are used only to protect the government, not those who oppose.

"If the government does nothing to deal with the red shirts using the 2008 Security Act, it could be deemed as practising double standards," he said.

Red shirts are some of the most frequent abusers of the term they think is reserved for their description of others.

Double standards, indeed.

Red mob rule - thumbing their noses at any form of law and order. Then we have the police who are lame, the PTP who don't give a toss - the coup must be getting closer - in which case the police will simply not be present as with the 2010 riots.

Can't see it going any other way.