Turkish Man Arrested For Running Illegal Kebab Stand

hiso1956

Prohibited types of work.

http://www.thaivisa.com/330-0.html

I find it both hilarious and sad that there is a list of jobs foreigners can not work, even with a work permit. Talk about being xenophobic.

Perhaps if they actually excelled at their jobs they wouldn't have to fear others doing them better.

I can not WAIT for ASEAN to kick off. Thailand is about to get a rude awaking.

• Like 2

Yes, street food vendor isnt actually on the list, amazing.

Street vending is on that list.

Yes, it was a joke, as if a farang can legally work at a thai food stall.

I'm not so sure there may be some exceptions. Off the top of my head I can think of about 6 different farang street vendors just in C.M. The one older lady that sells clothes (and speaks perfect fluent Thai) has been at the Sunday walking street market for 6 years now that I know of. There is the blonde-haired guy that sells tofu? desserts at 3 different night markets, the guy who sells snacks and drinks near the flower market, the guy who sold burgers from a cart near Carrefour on Thursday and Fridays (haven't seen him lately), and a couple of others. Most of these people don't look like the kind of people who would be working illegally. I also saw a farang running a tropical fish store near Kamthieng the other day. When I was at the beach near Prachuap Khiri Khan this year there was a guy selling burgers by the beach... There has to be some exceptions...

^ Ask them to produce their WP specifiying their legal occupation and location next time you're with them.

Actually don't, there's enough tossers in this World already. smile.png

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 1

Move back half a metre and up on to the sidewalk, then you are not breaking the law as a street vendor.

No, but you'll still need a WP for working.

Remember about a year ago when all the guys playing some music in bars here in CM for free were all arrested for 'working without a WP' even though they weren't even being paid. cheesy.gif

Welcome to Thailand and Thais. (they were all reported by other Thai business owners upset that farangs dare play live music in other venues :rolleyes: ) Never forget the nature of the people here. smile.png

Edited by Salapoo

Yes, it was a joke, as if a farang can legally work at a thai food stall.

I'm not so sure there may be some exceptions. Off the top of my head I can think of about 6 different farang street vendors just in C.M. The one older lady that sells clothes (and speaks perfect fluent Thai) has been at the Sunday walking street market for 6 years now that I know of. There is the blonde-haired guy that sells tofu? desserts at 3 different night markets, the guy who sells snacks and drinks near the flower market, the guy who sold burgers from a cart near Carrefour on Thursday and Fridays (haven't seen him lately), and a couple of others. Most of these people don't look like the kind of people who would be working illegally. I also saw a farang running a tropical fish store near Kamthieng the other day. When I was at the beach near Prachuap Khiri Khan this year there was a guy selling burgers by the beach... There has to be some exceptions...

I'm in Bangkok at the moment and there are plenty middle eastern kebab vendors in Sukumvit Soi 3 and 5

Pity they don't arrest some of the Thais selling disgusting kebabs around Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza.

I spend a lot of time transitting thru BKK repeatedly and stay in Soi 2, Suk. The only Thai I've ever seen working around Soi Nana is almost directly outside Nana Plaza... All the rest are Arabic-types! Some of the best are over in Soi 7, near Foodland. An Authentic Arabic kebab after a few beer Lao. That's living! (with a disclaimer from my cardiologist of course...).

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance that the arrest was a mistake and the reason the kebab guy is back on the streets hawking his wares is that somehow his paperwork is actually in order?

Saw this guy out selling last night. Anybody know whats going on? WP for street vending??

Any chance that the arrest was a mistake and the reason the kebab guy is back on the streets hawking his wares is that somehow his paperwork is actually in order?

Saw this guy out selling last night. Anybody know whats going on? WP for street vending??

i saw him too-he probably needs money for the fines he has to pay.