Trick to avoid paying Thai Airways fee to change departure date

hermespan

Cambodia iffice of Thai Air is very helpful but in this experience at least not as competent as BKK staff. I had resigned myself to paying a substantial fee (I forget if it was THB1000 or 2000 on the second level up economy ticket) to be able to change my departure date. BKK phone operator pointed out that as long as you change FORWARD instead of back, and as BKK-PNH is rarely fully booked to just book on the first date I think I might travel and then call 6 hours or more in advance to change. Brilliant - she saved me some money! That level of ticket (costs about THB1000 more) is good fir six months, so plenty if wiggle room for my ourposes. And changing return date is free. Told even refundable for a $50 fee. Told it takes 30-45 days.

SO, let's change this thread to what's GOOD about Thai Airways? Off the top of my head, excess baggage is more likely to be overlooked fee-wise, multiple departure and arrival times are more convenient sometimes. In fact, I welcome someone with more free time on his hands to draw up a list of the pros and cons of various airlines in Thailand. One has prettier stewardesses. Another has cheaper last minute fares. Yet another more legroom. Whatever.

• Like 1

Every fare bucket, in this case BKK-PNH-BKK, there are three Economy fare buckets: Flexi, Flexi Saver, Flexi Saver Plus, have different rules re: validity (30/90/180/360 days) changes, changes before travel begins and change after travel has begun, and any potential re-routing.

The trick is to buy the fare/bucket which best suits your requirements.

Flexi Saver Plus, the lowest priced fare bucket has the most restrictive terms, including a 3,000 baht change fee, and a possible requirement to "buy up" to the enxt available fare bucket.

Flexi Saver appears to allow changes before travel, on the outbound sector if pushing out rather than in, but for a fee of 1,000 baht plus a potential add./collect on a buy up. After travel has begun the return can be changed without a fee.

Flexi's change rules are the same as Flexi Saver.

Based on my understanding of your situation, the fare rules call for a 1,000 baht fee to push your departure date out on BKK-PNH-BKK with a TG/Flexi Saver. Not sure what it is, exactly, that you are saying, but the implication is that TG might waive this 1,000 baht fee?