Former FM Surin: "Democracy in Thailand has different definition

webfact

Surin is not a fool. He may not be implying that Thai democracy is different, but that it is defined differently, i.e misunderstood by Thais. And when he says:

"The problem is not a conflict between the government and the opposition as it is in many other countries but also comes from outsiders who have fuelled misunderstanding and mistrust"

he may well be referring to Mr. T.

What many miss here thai democracy is very young, It was only established in what 1939 or there abouts. In the time line they are like 10 year olds wanting, wanting but unable to figure out how to get. It will take many years before they can grow up. The US is whatt about 250 years old and still acts like a kid now and again. The Europeans and English have had a few more years at the game and are a bit more mature in there dealings

This is not an argument. Spanish Democracy is very young, too and yet it is a Democracy. The difference between Spain and Thailand is that the change toward Democracy came from Top to bottom!

• Like 1

To my opinion Surin is one of the few real politicians in Thailand. He has a huge international experience and for sure knows exactly what democracy really means.

This is how I understand the article:

- "Democracy in Thailand has different definition,"

Read Most Thai people don't understand what democracy is really about.

- "Currently, the opposition could not work effectively in the parliament, independent organizations are not truly independent and the mass media cannot access information freely"

Means that the ruling party monopolizes the parliament, that the so-called independent organizations are influenced by the majority. And we know that the press is always mostly government controlled

- The problem is not a conflict between the government and the opposition as it is in many other countries but also comes from outsiders who have fuelled misunderstanding and mistrust, he said.

Means that the division in Thailand is mainly the result of "the man in Dubai"

+1

Surin is not a fool. He may not be implying that Thai democracy is different, but that it is defined differently, i.e misunderstood by Thais. And when he says:

"The problem is not a conflict between the government and the opposition as it is in many other countries but also comes from outsiders who have fuelled misunderstanding and mistrust" 

he may well be referring to Mr. T. 

In the context of his sentence I think he is talking about people outside the government and opposition. Reds and Yellows perhaps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app