Mother seeks safety advice for sons on motorbikes

Addonvalue

The vast majority of bike accidents result in injury, not death- I'm more worried about being permanently incapacitated than about being killed.

You're right, you can wear what you want, but you are also inviting more serious injuries than what you would otherwise sustain- this thread is about proper protective gear, though. If you were riding a large displacement bike in your Crocs and shorts, I'd say you were a fool, but on a scooter (even a big one) that's being used on a short trip, I can see doing it out of convenience.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was riding my mountain bike yesterday and flipped the bike doing a wheelie at about 15 kph, knees have 2 nice gouges now, and my Addidas got ripped.

Was a friendly reminder to start dressing more properly on the 'real' bike, as ive been getting too relaxed lately.

If you intend doing wheelies on the real bike, good luck!

lol...levers were too far down and couldnt reach the rear brake lever to bring it back down - new mountain bike. ;)

The vast majority of bike accidents result in injury, not death- I'm more worried about being permanently incapacitated than about being killed.

You're right, you can wear what you want, but you are also inviting more serious injuries than what you would otherwise sustain- this thread is about proper protective gear, though. If you were riding a large displacement bike in your Crocs and shorts, I'd say you were a fool, but on a scooter (even a big one) that's being used on a short trip, I can see doing it out of convenience.

I have ridden 1000cc bikes here in shorts etc no problem, driving a 1000cc bike does not mean you have to drive fast and like an idiot, I will be going on a 1400km round trip next week on my Forza, I will be wearing what I always wear unless it rains then I will be using my Taichi rain suit, I have every confidence I will return in one piece, it's all about speed!!

I have seen and dealt with many road accidents involving cars and bikes, speed is more often than not the cause, if you want to wear protective gear you still need to drive at a speed that will allow you to react in plenty of time if something should happen in front of you! if a vehicle or dog etc comes out in front of you at the last second nothing will prevent an accident your speed will determine the outcome!!

I have ridden 1000cc bikes here in shorts etc no problem, driving a 1000cc bike does not mean you have to drive fast and like an idiot, I will be going on a 1400km round trip next week on my Forza, I will be wearing what I always wear unless it rains then I will be using my Taichi rain suit, I have every confidence I will return in one piece, it's all about speed!!

I have seen and dealt with many road accidents involving cars and bikes, speed is more often than not the cause, if you want to wear protective gear you still need to drive at a speed that will allow you to react in plenty of time if something should happen in front of you! if a vehicle or dog etc comes out in front of you at the last second nothing will prevent an accident your speed will determine the outcome!!

We can agree to disagree on this, I think it's right that some people wear protective clothing, I also think it's right for people to wear casual clothing, horses for courses as they say!

I think part of being a good rider is properly gearing up for the ride. Unless you're in a position to control not only yourself but everyone else on the road, your skills aren't adequate protection.

Your gear is as much (if not more) of a determining factor as speed as to how injured you might be in an accident. Of course you always need to drive defensively, but that's hardly the point.

I'm sorry, but I think you're rationalizing a poor choice- I concede it's your choice to make, but I don't agree with it- seeing someone on a large displacement bike in shorts screams 'squid' to me.

We've all seen plenty of road carnage here in Thailand- yes, the most common causes of accidents are from rider error- excessive speed, drunk driving, etc- what you need to do is properly protect yourself from some else's error becoming your problem, and this is one of many areas where proper gear comes into play- just checking your riding speed isn't enough, IMHO.

Saying you've ridden 1000cc bikes in shorts 'no problem' doesn't mean anything- it's never a problem until it suddenly becomes one- my rides have probably gone 5,000-1 (maybe better than that) between accidents- I'm still going to dress for the '1'- if I hadn't, the one big wreck I had might have crippled me- every ride before (and after) that crash was 'no problem'.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

I think part of being a good rider is properly gearing up for the ride. Unless you're in a position to control not only yourself but everyone else on the road, your skills aren't adequate protection.

Your gear is as much (if not more) of a determining factor of how injured you might be in an accident. Of course you always need to drive defensively, but that's hardly the point.

I'm sorry, but I think you're rationalizing a poor choice- I concede it's your choice to make, but I don't agree with it- seeing someone on a large displacement bike in shorts screams 'squid' to me.

We've all seen plenty of road carnage here in Thailand- yes, the most common causes of accidents are from rider error- excessive speed, drunk driving, etc- what you need to do is properly protect yourself from some else's error becoming your problem, and this is one of many areas where proper gear comes into play- just checking your riding speed isn't enough, IMHO.

Saying you've ridden 1000cc bikes in shorts 'no problem' doesn't mean anything- it's never a problem until it suddenly becomes one- my rides have probably gone 5,000-1 (maybe better than that) between accidents- I'm still going to dress for the '1'- if I hadn't, the one big wreck I had might have crippled me- every ride before (and after) it was 'no problem'.

I don't disagree with you, again just because a bike is1000cc or over does not mean there is any greater chance of having an accident, what makes the difference is how you ride it, I am happy with my choice and will not be forced to wear all this gear when it is very uncomfortable in this climate, riding a bike should be enjoyable and to me it is! I did have a padded jacket when I owned my big bike, it was uncomfortable and restrictive that's not enjoyable! anyway to the op, install common sense and speed sense into your sons, protective clothing is a good thing but youngsters may fight against it as not being cool, hope they stay safe!!

Your gear is as much (if not more) of a determining factor of how injured you might be in an accident. Of course you always need to drive defensively, but that's hardly the point.

Saying you've ridden 1000cc bikes in shorts 'no problem' doesn't mean anything- it's never a problem until it suddenly becomes one- my rides have probably gone 5,000-1 (maybe better than that) between accidents- I'm still going to dress for the '1'- if I hadn't, the one big wreck I had might have crippled me- every ride before (and after) it was 'no problem'.

All the gear, all the time, otherwise I'm in my SUV in flip flops, shorts,T-shirt & AC on. To be kind of blunt though, I don't really give a monkeys about what other riders decide to wear or not wear, their choice. I'll take a broken bone over road rash any day of the week. My gear just has to work the once and its paid for itself for the 1, as RSD termed it. :)

Do you wear all the gear all the time on a short trip of say 2 Kms?

All the gear, all the time, otherwise I'm in my SUV in flip flops, shorts,T-shirt & AC on. To be kind of blunt though, I don't really give a monkeys about what other riders decide to wear or not wear, their choice. I'll take a broken bone over road rash any day of the week. My gear just has to work the once and its paid for itself for the 1, as RSD termed it. smile.png

I don't do short bike trips, even for 2 kms, as that is not what I bought my bike for, but definitely what my SUV is for. I only go on long, planned rides or track days on my bike. Hence all my gear, all the time. :)

All the gear, all the time, otherwise I'm in my SUV in flip flops, shorts,T-shirt & AC on. To be kind of blunt though, I don't really give a monkeys about what other riders decide to wear or not wear, their choice. I'll take a broken bone over road rash any day of the week. My gear just has to work the once and its paid for itself for the 1, as RSD termed it. Posted Image

I don't do short bike trips, even for 2 kms, as that is not what I bought my bike for, but definitely what my SUV is for. I only go on long, planned rides or track days on my bike. Hence all my gear, all the time. :)

Okay my question is " if you suddenly decided to go on a small trip of 2 Kms or under( maybe to the shops, would you kit up in all your gear?

All the gear, all the time, otherwise I'm in my SUV in flip flops, shorts,T-shirt & AC on. To be kind of blunt though, I don't really give a monkeys about what other riders decide to wear or not wear, their choice. I'll take a broken bone over road rash any day of the week. My gear just has to work the once and its paid for itself for the 1, as RSD termed it. Posted Image

Okay my question is " if you suddenly decided to go on a small trip of 2 Kms or under( maybe to the shops, would you kit up in all your gear?

Your SUV is broken down!

To the posters who are preaching the wearing of protective gear, if you wear it 100% of the time and I am talking about, full face helmet, jacket with body armor, trousers with armor, boots with armor, gloves with armor then fair enough, but if you go out for a short trip in casual everyday gear then your argument collapses!

^

I wear that every ride on my 14R- I've never ridden it without being properly geared up, even if I'm just taking a short, casual ride.

As I said earlier, I can see taking a short scooter trip in less than optimal gear- the OP is about commuting in BKK traffic- I wouldn't do that unless I was properly protected. Riding a large displacement bike without proper gear is foolish- the point of a bike like that is to be able to ride in the flow of regular traffic, which exposes you to greater risk (unlike a scooter, where you're relegated to the side of the road in most cases as most cars can out-perform it). That said, I would never take a long ride on any two-wheeled vehicle without proper gear- I'm a decent rider, but I'm not immune to making errors, and I've nearly been taken out by the errors of others many times. I agree there are certain situations where you can afford to be more lax on a small scooter.

There's no point to being on a large displacement bike if you're not going to take advantage of its performance advantage.

This is my current gear list (I'll add more stuff as new and interesting products are released or I can take advantage of a big sale)- I can mix and match depending on the riding situation and weather conditions- I take my gear seriously;):

Alpinestars Orbiter suit

Dainese Rebel perforated leather jacket

Dainese G. 3 Air textile jacket

Teknic Violator perforated leather jacket

AGV Sport Topanga perforated leather jacket

Icon Stryker Rig armored mesh jacket

Alpinestars T-GP Plus Air textile jacket (awaiting)

AGV Sport Willow perforated leather pants

Teknic Chicane leather pants

Spidi Race Vent gloves

Knox Handroid gloves

Alpinestars Supertech R boots

Sidi Vortice vented boots

Shoei RF-1100

Shoei GT-Air

Various armor from Knox, Forcefield, and Alpinestars for back, hips, knees, chest

Oxford Bone-Dry rain suit made to go over leathers

Edited by RubberSideDown

This is my current gear list (I'll add more stuff as new and interesting products are released or I can take advantage of a big sale)- I can mix and match depending on the riding situation and weather conditions- I take my gear seriously;):

Alpinestars Orbiter suit

Spidi Race Vent gloves

Knox Handroid gloves

Shoei RF-1100

Shoei GT-Air

Various armor from Knox, Forcefield, and Alpinestars for back, hips, knees, chest

Fair play to you, god you must look like a robot from the future! You mention there is no point in owning a large displacement bike unless you are going to take advantage of the performance, to me it's about the look of the bike and the sound of the bike, I am not interested in how fast it goes, I drive every bike at the same speed! I think the wearing of full protective gear is very sensible but there will be support for it and others will be against it for comfort reasons, yes it could be said I am foolish for not wearing it but it's my choice and as I have already stated over 40 yrs driving bikes of all sizes and I am still here!!

Revzilla is a decent value for the price as well as Joe Rocket I had a beautiful Joe Rocket jacket that offered good protection(of course I am not going to try to compare this $200.00 jacket 5000-6000 baht to an alpinestar or dianeese for $600.00 ) you do get what you pay for. But the Joe rocket I had(unfortunately I draped it over the bike while taking photos & it fried the main zipper sleeve & part of the front Jacket on the scalding hot exhaust of the Vulcan I was using WAH!) I will be replacing it with another Joe Rocket in the states next year. Revzilla is decent as well great reviews although I never owned one.

Dogpoo you think Thailand is the worst Try Jamaica. Although you don't have maniacs going down sidewalks & going the wrong direction in your lane. You hit the throttle along with 8 or so other drivers & accelerate to 80 MPH -130 kilos in 2-3 seconds (or whatever you can do it in) the cars & bikes go as a team 1 -1/2 a car length away from the next. So when one brakes you all brake as a team. One mistake & your jacked between a pack of vehicles. Not any scooters there although 250 enduro's & up are common. It is whacked. Absolutely no rasta pasta while driving & NO RED Stripe beers either if you are a foreigner riding . Just like riding on a track roadcourse.

Speed limit. I do usual 120-140 kilo's If you have BKK plates I always pass due to the Thai Hi So's being the absolute worst drivers in the world. I learned not to be to nice to the drivers & it is smarter in Pattaya area to not get dragged into an accident when the drivers try to box me in or run me over. Easy & works fine.Pattaya is different than BKK - not to many police with big bikes or actual speed limits posted.

Add on stress the importance of never allowing your kids to drive inbetween 2 trucks or buses minivan taxis. When the Buses decide to merge they don't give a rats ass how big your bike car or truck is, Better to either stay behind & maneuver around the death-trap! I chose ahead only because my 650 has lots of power & in front (for me) is my best position. Most likely a world different in BKK. But they never want to put themselves in between 2 huge vehicles it just increases the chances of getting squished. If it is bigger they always win.

And last one thing no one (I think ) has touched on is the absolute importance of having your bike perfect when you hit the streets. A daily quick inspection of the running gear can save you from a catastrophy. I still do it every time If I am on my 650 or a scooter or in the U.S. My 1000,1100 or the 1800. Cause you never know something as stupid as a bad cable or brake hose...clogged line in the brakes or altered parts can fail. It only take 2-3 minutes & is so worth it. I did a stupid move on a ride with the boys in Rayong. Decided to pop a quick wheelie & show off with the stock crapolla tires & the bike went sideways & all over the place while it was semi controlled it still was scary . Make sure the tires are very good quality especially on 250 cc. & up. Scooter not as critical. But believe me boys will be boys so the small amount for good tires over the stock tires are well worth saving your parts if it slides out or does not grip & the stock tires here in Los are famous for being garbage.

Add on Glad to have a woman in the biking forum as it is a rarity but nice to break up the testosterone level.

KRS I know what it feels like being down on a mountain bike. Same as a motor cycle. I used to get banged up on Lava in Maui Hawaii even with protective gear. I hope your rashes heal quickly!

Edited by Beardog

What jackets specifically? You may see the word 'technical' used to describe the jacket- this means it's designed like the top half of a race suit and will fit very tight ( especially if you have large arms), and will be something you'd probably never wear off the bike in a casual situation. What's your jacket size?

What jackets specifically? You may see the word 'technical' used to describe the jacket- this means it's designed like the top half of a race suit and will fit very tight ( especially if you have large arms), and will be something you'd probably never wear off the bike in a casual situation. What's your jacket size?

I have no idea what size I am, I have long arms though which is usually a problem, liking the steel air black and white jacket!

Measuring your chest is a good way to tell your jacket size- take a deep breath to take a back protector into account (it helps to have assistance)- the size in inches is your US size- add ten for Euro sizes (ie I'm US44 and Euro54). Arm length usually isn't a problem on bike-specific jackets as they take the reach to the bars into consideration and are cut long.

Barring that, a local tailor shop can help you out- I've heard there are a couple in LOS.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

Measuring your chest is a good way to tell your jacket size- take a deep breath to take a back protector into account (it helps to have assistance)- the size in inches is your US size- add ten for Euro sizes (ie I'm US44 and Euro54). Arm length usually isn't a problem on bike-specific jackets as they take the reach to the bars into consideration and are cut long.

Barring that, a local tailor shop can help you out- I've heard there are a couple in LOS.;)

I am a 44 chest, best to call them and find out!!

28"? Is that to the tips of your fingers or the nub of your wrist? If it's to your wrist you're going to have a hard time finding anything- even an XXL jacket will have an arm length under 25".

That is from my shoulder to the middle of the back of my hand.

28"? Is that to the tips of your fingers or the nub of your wrist? If it's to your wrist you're going to have a hard time finding anything- even an XXL jacket will have an arm length under 25".

That is from my shoulder to the middle of the back of my hand.

Re-measure and it's 25" to the wrist!

Alpinestars Orbiter suit

Spidi Race Vent gloves

Knox Handroid gloves

Shoei RF-1100

Shoei GT-Air

Fair play to you, god you must look like a robot from the future! You mention there is no point in owning a large displacement bike unless you are going to take advantage of the performance, to me it's about the look of the bike and the sound of the bike, I am not interested in how fast it goes, I drive every bike at the same speed! I think the wearing of full protective gear is very sensible but there will be support for it and others will be against it for comfort reasons, yes it could be said I am foolish for not wearing it but it's my choice and as I have already stated over 40 yrs driving bikes of all sizes and I am still here!!

facepalm.gif

Alpinestars Orbiter suit

Spidi Race Vent gloves

Knox Handroid gloves

Shoei RF-1100

Shoei GT-Air

Posted Image

I am now considering a jacket, I will find out tomorrow about sizes!

You should be fine in a 44/54- I'd make sure they'll refund/exchange. Note that bike jackets usually assume you'll be wearing gloves, so it's possible the sleeves might come up a bit short.

Here's a good video on measuring yourself for a motorcycle jacket- note I've dealt with Revzilla customer service people over the phone- they all ride, and they like their jackets super-tight- you might want to go a size larger than they suggest depending on how you're built- most of my jackets are tight at the shoulders and loose at the waist (though they come with adjustable straps to cinch them in a bit, which helps) as I'm not a good off-the-rack size:

Edited by RubberSideDown