Photographers who inspire, fascinate, educate me.

watutsi

Related to much of my jabbering on that other thread, i thought i would try and introduce a new thread that might move at a slower pace and create some interaction, both in the way of members introducing their own personal genres and explaining why that particular photographer impresses them.It has nothing directly to do with Thailand so the mods must use their own judgement, but it is a way of introduction to all the different ways people enjoy photography.I know little or nothing about bird photography, i would enjoy being educated in what makes a great bird photograph, who is "the man" in bird photography and so on.It is also not necessary about obvious names, could just be your mate.

So on a wing and a prayer [mods ?] i will start -

It may be a surprise to most [all] of you but my photographic background is in Beauty and Advertising. I shot campaigns and editorial for many of the major cosmetic companies also major campaigns for cigarettes , airlines , sports shoes ,etc. My cameras of choice were 10 x 8 Sinars and Linhofs. I only took up Street photography a little over 2 years ago as a retirement hobby , an exercise for the body and the brain and the antithesis of the "total control" i was comfortable with. When i started my street thread on this forum i had only been taking pictures for 2 months and shown them to nobody so when i posted the first pictures my apprehensions

were exactly the same as all the other first time posters, and i was very grateful for the encouragement and support.

Getting to the point, when i was working in London i was continually being told how good i was, which is always nice to hear , but i knew that this guy was so much better than me. It is so important to know that other people are doing it better than you , it means you are never truly satisfied with your own work and are always trying to improve it.

Nick Knight http://reelfoto.blogspot.com/2011/10/nick-knight-different-kind-of-fashion.html

• Like 1

Of today's photographers, I could say Marco Grob. Or Nick Veasey. Or Morgan Norman. Or Nick Brandt. They create visually stunning imagery.

But I won't.

James Nachtwey. 100% James Nachtwey.

It's not just his photography, it's the way the man's bravery and deep love for humanity shine through the images, many of which are of terrible pain and suffering.

The war photographers have always been heroes to me, even before I ever thought about picking up a camera. Their reason for risking their lives in these harsh and deadly situations is to raise awareness of the futility of war and the cruel consequences for those caught up in conflict.

Also Lynsey Addario. She tells it how it is, however difficult it may be to bear witness to such horrors.

Edited by MJP

There is something of the Robert Johnson story in James Nachtway, as if he has been down to the crossroads and made some pact. He is always there when no one else is his pictures are extraordinary and despite most of his pictures being in remote ravaged places , many of the iconic pictures of 9/11 in NY were taken by him. He is "otherwordly"

Don't like imposing conditions but i think it will work better if it is one name at a time with a link.Lists of names are just going to remain lists of names unless people take the time to search them all out. In the end it is still about the images more than the names.

I know little or nothing about bird photography, i would enjoy being educated in what makes a great bird photograph, who is "the man" in bird photography

Well, among the world birding community, there's really no single "the man" as you describe. For most birders, it's largely about the image and not really about who captured it. However.....there is one name that many within the community will be very familiar with - Romy Ocon. This Filipino has achieved great admiration over the past few years. He was one of the first to bring attention to the mighty 'Sigmonster'.

Personally, in Thailand (i.e. birds of) i've been a fan of Somchai Kanchanasut from Bangkok for a few years now......and more recently, my friend in Chiang Mai, Apisit Wilaijit.

What makes a great bird photograph? as 'capturers' most of us would probably look you in the eye, and with a big smile say, "focal length & burst rate...." ..rolleyes.gif .(as 'viewers', well that's up to you..) .wink.png

I know little or nothing about bird photography, i would enjoy being educated in what makes a great bird photograph, who is "the man" in bird photography

Well, among the world birding community, there's really no single "the man" as you describe. For most birders, it's largely about the image and not really about who captured it. However.....there is one name that many within the community will be very familiar with - Romy Ocon. This Filipino has achieved great admiration over the past few years. He was one of the first to bring attention to the mighty 'Sigmonster'.

Personally, in Thailand (i.e. birds of) i've been a fan of Somchai Kanchanasut from Bangkok for a few years now......and more recently, my friend in Chiang Mai, Apisit Wilaijit.

What makes a great bird photograph? as 'capturers' most of us would probably look you in the eye, and with a big smile say, "focal length & burst rate...." ..rolleyes.gif .(as 'viewers', well that's up to you..) .wink.png

Feathers!!!

• Like 1

I certainly don't keep up with the "who's who of Photography" ....

There are many of us in this forum who have provided some great images... there are others here who have greatly improved their images... with some encouragement... from other members...

As someone stated yesterday, they were afraid to post their images for fear of criticism.... well to me, it's a case of reminding me of places I have seen or where I might like to go sometime... (in Thailand!) ... Chang Rai area for instance! So good or poor images are OK, it's nice to see those who have improved... no names.... we know who they are ! wink.pngthumbsup.gif

Rather silly to have images, just sitting on the computer... never to be seen by anyone, but oneself or family ! ..... It's been good to see new posters coming aboard this forum .... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

There are many of us in this forum who have provided some great images... there are others here who have greatly improved their images... with some encouragement... from other members...

As someone stated yesterday, they were afraid to post their images for fear of criticism.... well to me, it's a case of reminding me of places I have seen or where I might like to go sometime... (in Thailand!) ... Chang Rai area for instance! So good or poor images are OK, it's nice to see those who have improved... no names.... we know who they are ! wink.pngthumbsup.gif

Rather silly to have images, just sitting on the computer... never to be seen by anyone, but oneself or family ! ..... It's been good to see new posters coming aboard this forum .... thumbsup.gif

I don't consider it criticism. I consider it free consulting that would otherwise cost upwards of £350 per day.

Always very grateful. Always consider it help.

Fiddlesticks has been helping me loads with post-processing. Stuff I thought I knew, but as it turned out . . . . didn't. But now thanks to Fiddlesticks . . . I do!

• Like 2

I don't consider it criticism. I consider it free consulting that would otherwise cost upwards of £350 per day.

Fiddlesticks has been helping me loads with post-processing. Stuff I thought I knew, but as it turned out . . . . didn't. But now thanks to Fiddlesticks . . . I do!

I know that there are others on this site who can lend constructive 'suggestions' if we all are willing to 'receive' in the spirit that the advice was given. What is the old saying iron sharpens iron. Let's have fun and be willing to sharpen each other.

• Like 2

I know that there are others on this site who can lend constructive 'suggestions' if we all are willing to 'receive' in the spirit that the advice was given. What is the old saying iron sharpens iron. Let's have fun and be willing to sharpen each other.

It's painless accelerated learning. Top banana!!!

^ yep agree... thumbsup.gif (outta Likes!) sad.png

I think a number of members have helped other members behind the scenes... thumbsup.gif

It's a case sometimes of doing things frequently that helps the "old grey matter"....(in my case anyway! tongue.png ) to remember best settings, either while taking a photograph or post editing...

That is why I think many of us here have improved!... by doing things more frequently ... thumbsup.gif

What makes a great bird photograph? as 'capturers' most of us would probably look you in the eye, and with a big smile say, "focal length & burst rate...." ..rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif .(as 'viewers', well that's up to you..) .xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Hi Goshawk

I would have to add to that 'gear and how to get the best out of it'

I see photos of wildlife and bird photographers and the gear they are carrying and using, stuff that is way out of the reach of me and probably most others who post on this forum.

There is also the ability to go where there is the greatest likelihood of finding the birds, something else that isn't available to all.

Then of course there is that little 4 letter word 'luck'.

What makes a great bird photograph? as 'capturers' most of us would probably look you in the eye, and with a big smile say, "focal length & burst rate...." ..rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif .(as 'viewers', well that's up to you..) .xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Hi Goshawk

I would have to add to that 'gear and how to get the best out of it'

I see photos of wildlife and bird photographers and the gear they are carrying and using, stuff that is way out of the reach of me and probably most others who post on this forum.

There is also the ability to go where there is the greatest likelihood of finding the birds, something else that isn't available to all.

Then of course there is that little 4 letter word 'luck'.

Thomas Jefferson: "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

• Like 1

The photographers that inspire, fascinate & who have educated me

(in some cases 1 on 1 face to face over a bevvie kinda thing) are

now all dead & that fact, to me, is very sad. They don't have websites,

although there are tribute websites easily found by using Google and

these two tips....Time Magazine Photographers and Magnum

Photographers. The photographers are...

Ansel Adams

Henri Cartier Bresson

Larry Burrows

Robert Capa

Bill Eppridge

Hu Van Es

Horst Faas

Philip Jones Griffiths

Henri Huet

Man Ray

Hey Watutsi...this isn't just a list of photographers. Their work & links to

it are easy to get by using my two tips above...hope you don't mind.

This is a list of some of the worlds finest photographers...imo. I was

extremely lucky to know four of them.

I have to give recognition to Steve McCurry as being a photographer who I aspire to. His images are amazing. For those who are not familiar with him, his famous image of the Afghan Girl is, for me, one of the most inspiring images I have ever seen.

I have to give recognition to Steve McCurry as being a photographer who I aspire to. His images are amazing. For those who are not familiar with him, his famous image of the Afghan Girl is, for me, one of the most inspiring images I have ever seen.

I agree with you FS...McCurry's very good and the Afghani Girl pic is very haunting.

Here's a 2shot of her by him when he returned to look for her...

post-146250-0-15380400-1383283326_thumb.

• Like 2

I agree with you FS...McCurry's very good and the Afghani Girl pic is very haunting.

Here's a 2shot of her by him when he returned to look for her...

attachicon.gifMcCurry2Shot.jpg

Yup, saw the revisit shot also. Quite a story behind it as well. Highly recommend his website and the amazing gallery of images. If you love rich color and portraits that convey great depth of emotion then you need to see his work.

• Like 1

I have always felt Steve got the life i was meant to live :-)

for me

Robert Franks,

Wegee

Diane Arbus

Alfred Stieglitz

Gary Winogrand

Lee Friendlander

Eugene Smith

Irving Penn

James Nachtwey

Tim Page

Annie Leibovitz

I love so many

I was lucky to have had courses from Ansel Adams and Cole Weston as well in Yosemite as well while i was at the art Institute in SF