Majority wants to see Abhisit stand trial: Isaan poll

webfact

"Majority wants to see Abhisit stand trail: Isaan poll"

In related news we have UDD co-leader Kwanchai Praiphana saying that he will lead a group of red-shirts from Udon Thani province to Bangkok on Thursday to attend a gathering at Thephasadin Stadium on Friday in which Pheu Thai MPs plan to give the general public an explanation of the aims of the blanket amnesty bill.

No comment from UDD head Ms. thida, the lady who has kept on telling us that the UDD wants 'justice'

I wonder which uniform Kwancahi will be wearing without permission this time ?

• Like 1

Of course Abhisit and the Dems oppose the amnesty bill. They know they will lose the vote. They will benefit as much as anyone else with it passing, whilst opposing the bill gives them the moral and political high ground.

One thing this whole episode and the reasons behind the inception exposes is that Thailand IS NOT a democracy. It is an oligarchy. Democracy in developed countries has been stealthily usurped by the 'few'. There has been no stealth in the case of Thailand, it has always been thus. Perhaps the 'masses' of Thailand understand already, if not, they should be on a steep learning curve.

• Like 2

Of course Abhisit and the Dems oppose the amnesty bill. They know they will lose the vote. They will benefit as much as anyone else with it passing, whilst opposing the bill gives them the moral and political high ground.

One thing this whole episode and the reasons behind the inception exposes is that Thailand IS NOT a democracy. It is an oligarchy. Democracy in developed countries has been stealthily usurped by the 'few'. There has been no stealth in the case of Thailand, it has always been thus. Perhaps the 'masses' of Thailand understand already, if not, they should be on a steep learning curve.

Do you think the Democrats secretly support the bill? ... riiiggghhht.

But the survey, conducted upon 1,190 subjects by Isaan Poll, indicates that 72.5% of the respondents prefer to see Mr. Abhisit and his former deputy face the court prosecution, whereas only 14.4% wants them to receive amnesty.

Having before lived in Isaan and travelled extensively around the region, I would question the amount of knowledge used when 'responding' to this survey.

• Like 1

But the survey, conducted upon 1,190 subjects by Isaan Poll, indicates that 72.5% of the respondents prefer to see Mr. Abhisit and his former deputy face the court prosecution, whereas only 14.4% wants them to receive amnesty.

Having before lived in Isaan and travelled extensively around the region, I would question the amount of knowledge used when 'responding' to this survey.

A stereotypical slur on Issan people from someone who, I would hazard, is not a Thai citizen and thereby doesn't have a vote. Back to Bangkok you bar stool bore where you can discuss "illiterate red shirt farmers in Issan" with like minded Bangkok Post contributors fulminating about how democracy's ok but the wrong guy always wins. Ignore Issan at your peril. There is a vast difference between "amount of knowledge" and the quality of knowledge. Quality is to the fore in Issaan.

• Like 1

It seems that most Isaanites still believe the propaganda and misinformation fed to them by their "red leaders" (aka known as Thaksin's stooges). It will be a bitter pill to swallow when the judicial system finds those leaders (some are "respected" MPs) guilty and sentences them to long periods of incarceration, at least, and finds Abhisit and Suthep either innocent or more likely, having no charge to face.

Long-held beliefs, even if false, are difficult to relinquish. But they are scarcely a legal defence for committing criminal acts, and none at all for the paid propagandists who, knowing they were false, instigated them.

• Like 1

A stereotypical slur on Issan people from someone who, I would hazard, is not a Thai citizen and thereby doesn't have a vote. Back to Bangkok you bar stool bore where you can discuss "illiterate red shirt farmers in Issan" with like minded Bangkok Post contributors fulminating about how democracy's ok but the wrong guy always wins. Ignore Issan at your peril. There is a vast difference between "amount of knowledge" and the quality of knowledge. Quality is to the fore in Issaan.

I am English and lived mostly in Issan, most say I am Ankrit/ Laos, 50-50. Did you say Quality in Issan, Ha. It is the rural areas that lostmebike is talking about, MOSTLY they do NOT have a clue.

This why we have the problems in Thailand, keep them in the dark if you can then we can manipulate them easy. K Thaksin aimed at this, he knew the population Majority is in Issan his sums did add up and he played on it, the rural areas rallied to the cause.

• Like 1

Countered with your own stereotypical slur!

Could you give us one example, preferably not related to primary production, where the the people of Isaan have a higher quality of knowledge than BP readers/contributors? IMHO many have the same quality of political knowledge as mushrooms, both being kept in the dark and fed crap.

• Like 1

Not a slur, more a comment from my own personal experiences of my time there.

Obviously the old ladies that were being paid to attend the 'rallies' in 2010 from Isaan, the ones that I know and have spoke to about it, still have no real grasp (knowledge) of why they or their families were there. All they and some of their families did know is that they were being paid to attend so obliged. Isaan is a very dry place in the summer with a lot of locals heading out to Bangkok looking for work don't you know?

Ignore Isaan at your peril??? Only you will be ignored my angry, little friend.

As for discussing politics in a bar, like you style dude! Don't frequent bars and don't live in BKK. smile.png

• Like 2

The figures sure do show that the right person, with the right funds and influence, would do good to start a new political party right now .One that it and it's potential senior members are totally distanced from both the Phea Thai and democrat parties. Just who that person/persons is to be is anybody's guess.

A fine idea. I nominate Khun Chuwit.

• Like 1

Funny thing is Abhisit is also on record as saying he doesn't want the amnesty either... so really only leaves Thaksin and certain PTP Mp's that do... strange:)

I respectfully remind you that the whole point of the Amnesty is to protect Thai people from punitive punishments for their part in rallying against the Abhisit government.

Not at any time was the 'Short Amnesty' intended to protect 'Abhisit The Artful Dodger' or 'Thaksin 'The Texas Side Step' entrepreneur' period.

You would think a bill intended to make everyone happy would have just a little bit more supportcheesy.gif

Yes that would be one where FAIR JUSTICE was carried out, corruption was targeted and The Government of Thailand (red yellow pink blue whatever colours!) tried, ever such a tinsy winsy little bit to try to do something for the peope instead of pocketing BILLIONS for themselves.

Thats a bit strong old chap, what are you suggesting put the country before oneself? Thats a new one on me, why would anyone want to do that?

Funny thing is Abhisit is also on record as saying he doesn't want the amnesty either... so really only leaves Thaksin and certain PTP Mp's that do... strange:)

I respectfully remind you that the whole point of the Amnesty is to protect Thai people from punitive punishments for their part in rallying against the Abhisit government.

Not at any time was the 'Short Amnesty' intended to protect 'Abhisit The Artful Dodger' or 'Thaksin 'The Texas Side Step' entrepreneur' period.

Who is the Amnesty for?

Off course it's for Thaksin. He's the only one that needs it.

The Reds that are still in prison are there to ensure that!

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

I'm definitely not a PTP/Thaksin supporter, as some may have guessed, but I'd like to see him put on (a fair) trial as well. The biggest question is, however, would the "majority" who want to see him on trial accept the outcome if they don't agree with it? If it did come out that he actually ordered live rounds to be fired at protestors in a non life threatening (to the army) situation, then let him face the consequences. If he didn't, and it is shown that the army acted beyond their orders, or did indeed face life threatening situations - having seen members of the forces blown and beaten up nobody can say there were none of these at all, then set him free, but I honestly can't see any change in the opinions of the majority of those against him should that happen.

One thing to add, even if he is found guilty of excessive force, that in no way would exonerate those on the other side who also used it or ordered it. And it is the ordering that is the key, as not even his deepest critics are suggesting he personally went out and shot people. One doesn't have to be holding the gun, or even in the country, to be guilty.

Well what you say sounds good but let us look at the facts. the reds started it with a legal rally and carried it on to the point where they had closed down the major business district in Bangkok. They did this in spite of being ordered off the site. They then proceeded to build barricades to keep people out. They then fired on the army live ammunition killing soldiers. So there goes the non threatening to the army theory.

They negotiated in bad faith a truce. Then backed out of it. The choice was theirs to stay and continue with their armed protest or honor the truce that they had made.

What was the Army to do they were using live ammunition and firing rockets at them as well as honest hard working innocent civilians in a transit station. We won't talk about invading hospitals or trying to burn Bangkok down.

Just once it would be nice to here a red shirt admit they were breaking the law killing people and trying to burn Bangkok down. In stead all we get out of them is passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi.

What would you have done at this point? Stand there and tell them to go home they were being bad boys? Or maybe give them a time out? Or perhaps told them to go stand in the corner?giggle.gif

Why is it the red shirts refuse to admit they did any thing wrong. They left enough litter with out even trying to clean up the mess that should have resulted in fines to all of them instead the Government gave them a free ride home.

As in all red shirt posts I see no assigning of blame to Thaksin.sad.png Just what the bad man did to us.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 2

I'm definitely not a PTP/Thaksin supporter, as some may have guessed, but I'd like to see him put on (a fair) trial as well. The biggest question is, however, would the "majority" who want to see him on trial accept the outcome if they don't agree with it? If it did come out that he actually ordered live rounds to be fired at protestors in a non life threatening (to the army) situation, then let him face the consequences. If he didn't, and it is shown that the army acted beyond their orders, or did indeed face life threatening situations - having seen members of the forces blown and beaten up nobody can say there were none of these at all, then set him free, but I honestly can't see any change in the opinions of the majority of those against him should that happen.

One thing to add, even if he is found guilty of excessive force, that in no way would exonerate those on the other side who also used it or ordered it. And it is the ordering that is the key, as not even his deepest critics are suggesting he personally went out and shot people. One doesn't have to be holding the gun, or even in the country, to be guilty.

It`s not any talks about a new trial for Thaksin. He`s a convicted criminal already. Its about mr Abishit. Mr Thaksin is a violator of human rigths, and that suprises me that the Norwegian government don`arrest him and send him to Hague.

• Like 1