Computers and football..recommended places in Ubon

Towzak

Having smashed the glass screen on my iPad mini I'm now looking for a place that can replace said screen. I have only recently moved to the area and live about 1 hours north of Ubon. There's nobody out here who can repair it so Ubon seems to be the place to go. One of my colleagues muttered something about 'King Kong' so I am assuming that is a computer place ?

And while I'm here, could anyone recommend places in Ubon where I could watch football on a weekend. Best places to go etc..

Thanks! in advance wink.png

Top floor of Sunee Plaza has many different IT shops including repairers. Last time I went browsing (2-3 weeks ago) I remember noting a place that had broken screens of all types, including those of tablets, on display, from which I assumed it repaired them. It's one of the shops in a back row of a tier of three rows of shops. Find the toilets in the centre of the top floor. Face the short passageway that leads to the toilets and to the left of that passageway is a throughway that leads between open sided shops in the middle row on your left and closed sided/closed backed shops on your right. If I recall correctly the (assumed by me) screen repairer was one of the businesses on the right towards the end.

Football. Wrong Way cafe (farang bar in Phadaeng Road) is probably your best (and maybe only) bet for English Premier League with English commentary but they are likely to show only one or two of the most popular games on a Saturday and Sunday and they officially close at 12 midnight (too early for the latest of the games on a Saturday). If you had more specific requirements for particular English Premier League games then I would have advised checking into one of the cheaper hotels for the night. I say "would have advised", rather than "can advise" because EPL is now shown by CTH and I do not know of a hotel in Ubon that has CTH football channels on it (and I have looked at 4 of my favourite locations amogst the cheaper end hotels since CTH took over the broadcasting rights).

Ubon hotels IMO have not yet caught up with the change of football broadcast rights holders over the Summer and many still have packages that have a sprinkling of True Visions sports channels (generally not the ones that show premium football matches) and maybe a GMM Sports channel or two (you might catch a German or Italian league game or an English Championship league game on one of the GMM sports channels). If you wanted to watch a specific European Champions League game or UEFA Cup game or Dutch or Spanish league games then you need a hotel with a good range of True Visions channels (or take pot luck with either Wrong Way - or the Thai public broadcasters Channels 3,7 or 9 in the case of the European Champions League games).

"OutsideInn Hotel" at the far end of Thanon Suriyat has a good range of True Visions sports channels in its premium rooms at 850 baht a night - it might even be the full True Visions Platinum package. I know of nowhere cheaper than this that shows such a full range of True Sports channels amongst the 6 hotels I have stayed in over the last year and I doubt that even top of the pile "Sunnee Grand" hotel has such a good coverage of sports as OutsideInn. You can write off the mansion hotels now (based on my knowledge of 3 of them). They all fall into the old outdated package mode and none of them show sports in English language mode anyway.

Pity you don't live one hour east of Ubon - you could have come and watched games at my place. As you might have spotted I know a fair bit about football on TV (and rugby and US NFL football) in Thailand. Others may be able to add venues in Ubon as I am a bi-monthly visitor only.

Thanks ! for the reply and information SantiSuk..much appreciated. Thanks! also for the offer thumbsup.gif

I live up in Yasothon so I imagine like yourself I will probably visit every other weekend providing I'm not busy or elsewhere. I prefer to watch football in company with a beer rather than cooped up in an hotel. I don't mind so much if the commentary isn't in English (nice if can get it though).....I've grown used to that :-). Unlike your team, who I'm sure you'll be pleased with at the moment, my team are wallowing away in the nether regions of League 1 so I'm happy watching any EPL game really.

Thanks ! for the reply and information SantiSuk..much appreciated. Thanks! also for the offer thumbsup.gif

I live up in Yasothon so I imagine like yourself I will probably visit every other weekend providing I'm not busy or elsewhere. I prefer to watch football in company with a beer rather than cooped up in an hotel. I don't mind so much if the commentary isn't in English (nice if can get it though).....I've grown used to that :-). Unlike your team, who I'm sure you'll be pleased with at the moment, my team are wallowing away in the nether regions of League 1 so I'm happy watching any EPL game really.

Wrongway "Cafe" - Padaeng rd is the place for football and beer!

Cheers! smile.png