Free Uk Visas For Thais !

Just last week, my Thai wife & I entered Heathrow T4 immigration, and the official seeing a Thai passport jumped on us. The strange thing was, he kept on asking me why my missus applied for a 6 month tourist visa (!) I was tempted to say that she was there to shoplift, bomb, claim benefit and then stay illegally, but thought better of it. I was a wee bit puzzled by this question until he told me that, as a UK citizen travelling on an Irish passport, she was entitled to a FREE permit of some kind (it sounded along the lines of a residence permit) and why had she not applied at the Brit Embassy in BKK for a freebie instead of the 70 quid one. Well, I told him that the embassy staff in good ole Bangers wasn't exactly qualified to open a charm and etiquette college and manners weren't high on their priority list!! :o He then viewed her as suspicious and kept on asking about the tourist visa in her passport. Eventually we got thru and on our way, after his reminding us that next time, she should apply for this so-called (free) permit.

In my books, that's 1 up for the immigration in Blighty, and a(nother) entrance in the book of shame for the trollops in the Br Emb in Bangers :D

See:-

Uk Immigration - The European Angle., Are you a dual national?

Guidance - EEA & Swiss nationals (INF 18)

However, I am 99% sure that this only applies to the spouses of EEA nationals who are coming to the UK to live with their EEA national spouse, not just for a visit, especially if you are not resident in the UK yourself.

In my books, that's 1 up for the immigration in Blighty, and a(nother) entrance in the book of shame for the trollops in the Br Emb in Bangers
I think that it is the IO in the UK who has got it wrong. But even if s/he were correct, the embassy will only issue the visa that the applicant asks for! If you didn't tell them that you have dual British/Irish nationality, how are they expected to know?

BTW, a UK 6 month visit visa costs £50, not £70.

Edited by GU22

A dependant of any person holding an EU/EEA passport can apply for a family permit for either a visit or settlement. British citizens who become "European nationals" under the Surinder Singh judgement can't bring dependants in as visitors on a family permit.

Scouse.

Hmmmm. Point taken about the staff not knowing about my dual citizenship.

But surely, a notice in the waiting area informing Joe Public would be a nice gesture. Then again, it's less moolah in their coffers (and they'll need it after selling part of the embassy for £50 million!!!).

A dependant of any person holding an EU/EEA passport can apply for a family permit for either a visit or settlement.
Thanks for that, Scouse.

However, am I right to assume that this is only if the EEA national is resident in the UK? Otherwise, why would my wife have needed a Schengen visa to visit France before she got her British passport?

Cos the French are awkward sods who don't play by the agreed rules unless it suits them.

The dependant doesn't need to be resident in the UK to benefit from the free visa/family permit. For example, when we visit friends in Krautland, Mrs Scouse is issued with a free family permit-type Schengen visa and she doesn't have, as yet, her ILR.

Scouse.

Cos the French are awkward sods who don't play by the agreed rules unless it suits them.
Agreed!
The dependant doesn't need to be resident in the UK to benefit from the free visa/family permit.
I assume you mean the EEA national doesn't have to be resident in the UK for the nonEEA national dependant to benefit.......

Thanks again for the clarification.

So, to correct my first reply to BigA.

You could have had a free EEA Family Permit, but unless you ask for one the embassy wont give you one.

K.Wifies (and me I suppose) have got 4 nieces who depend on us...well they run the business over there.....and we will be bringing them over on a family pass when they finish University (only for Holi-Jolli) and all free...checked already.

She ..KW..of course has the full wee red Book so makes life easier.....

I keep telling all her mates (over "ere) to get one but ....not yet...Jesu Crist...... dont wait it will only get harder.... :o hard tae get through to them sometimes.....

I assume you mean the EEA national doesn't have to be resident in the UK for the nonEEA national dependant to benefit.......

That's correct. Technically the EU principal needs to be exercising a treaty right in the UK in order for a dependant to qualify for a family permit and visiting doesn't fulfil this description. However, as the EU principal could elect to exercise a treaty right at any time whilst in the UK, it would disadvantage the dependant not to give them a family permit and insist upon a visit visa being sought.

With regard to BigA, it does actually say in the DSPs that the dependants of dual nationals may apply either under the immigration rules or the EU provisions. However, it goes on to say that the ECO is under no obligation to inform the applicant of this and that, basically, it's up to the applicant to find out for his/herself that such a provision exists.

Scouse.