US tax preparation living in Chiang Mai

ChiangraiTony

I have heard form Joe Krebs recently with regard to a tax question.

Whether he is here in TH or in the USA is of no concern to me, as my situation can be and has been handled by email. I addition, I am confident he is well acquainted with the nuances of overseas filing.

Nervertheless, my understanding is that he spends the first half of the year here, and the last half in the USA.

If I recall correctly, his email address, and that of his partner or assistant, are available on the website mentioned earlier on this thread.

I am a satisfied customer.

• 10 months later...

To the poster who said that you shouldn't file I hope he does not need to renew his US passport because he is in for a massive shock when they will only give him a temporary one to return to the US to pay his taxes

Since it is IRA money there are no deductions (expenses) to worry about, there is no cost basis to worry about either since it is all pure income since it was not taxed when you made it

So Turbo Tax is the easiest way to go as others have said. My only advice is once you finish doing it, hold off a day or two before hitting the last button since once you file with Turbo Tax you can only change anything via a paper submitted amended return, another words, Turbo Tax will not allow you to file an amended return electronically

If you owe the IRS tax you can always pay them via EFTS (electronic funds transfer system) from your US bank, just make sure you have the correct bank routing and account number

If your taxes are so complicated that you need a CPA to do them, then you are making enough money to pay for it, otherwise most people can easily use Turbo Tax or Tax Act to file electronically

To the poster who said that you shouldn't file I hope he does not need to renew his US passport because he is in for a massive shock when they will only give him a temporary one to return to the US to pay his taxes

I think the way that law works is that there's a $50,000 threshold for unpaid taxes (including fees and interest). If you owe that much or more, AND the IRS has tried unsuccessfully to collect, then there's a chance you will be flagged by the State Department.

I think the way that law works is that there's a $50,000 threshold for unpaid taxes (including fees and interest). If you owe that much or more, AND the IRS has tried unsuccessfully to collect, then there's a chance you will be flagged by the State Department.

Read about it here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/872509-us-expats-pay-your-taxes-or-lose-your-passport/

Read about it here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/872509-us-expats-pay-your-taxes-or-lose-your-passport/

That topic refers to the WSJ article, which I summarized in my post, followed by several pages of of comment, mostly grumbling about taxes in general.