Monthly rental studio/1 bdr for 15k close enough to BTS/Mrt, is it possible?

diseq1

Could you recommend a serviced apartment studio or hotel for month-by-month rental?

Either a decent size studio (25+sq m) or smaller 1 bdr would do.

So far the search has been really frustrating, everything decent seems to be full when I go to visit and I keep extending my hotel stay.
My budget is between 10k to 15k. I can stretch it to 20k including extras if needed, but so far the issue has been availability rather than budget...

I need reliable wi-fi, a proper bathroom(separate shower from toilet) and not too noisy. A gym would be nice, but I can do without.

Prefered areas - within 1km from BTS Saphan Kwai, Phaya Thai, On Nut or MRT Huai Khwang, Sutthisan.

I've tried online already (soiDB, thaiapartment, 9apartment etc), so I'd prefer a personal recommendation rather than general advice.
Thank you for your help!

I am curious about this also. I have heard that the On Nut area has some in the 15-18K range, from reading here on TV. Phaya Thai is a upscale area it seems because of the proximity. I took a 2 hour walk from the Asia Hotel a few years ago, looks like any other neighborhood. Saphan Kwai I cannot remember where it is. Anyway I'll be watching this one to see what folks are saying.

Plenty of 1 bedroom places in on nut for that price. 30-40 sq feet would be my expectation for 15k.

Plus all the extras you mention.

Also at least 2 in Saphan Kwai for 15k. Phayathai I doubt it, not a condo anyway. Maybe an old place down a soi.

For 20k you could get a 2 bedroom place in saphan kwai/on nut. I recommend asking an estate agent to help you, or just go for a walk in either location.

Thank you for your input, Moradave and Celso.

Baan Saranuch seems to ask for 12 month contract, according to their website.

I will pass by to ask anyway, but so far none of the places around On-Nut accept anything less than a 6 month contract.And I can't commit to that since I might not be in Bangkok for more than 2 months.

That's the main problem, the contract period. I have found plenty of good places for 10k around Saphan Khwai and On-Nut, but not a single one so far accepts 1-2month contracts.

I'm seeing today 2 places around Huai Khwang which seem to allow 1 month rentals, for a higher price.. ( 14k-16k)...

Sorry I didn't see you want it on a month-by-month rental plan. I think that will be a lot harder to find. When I was apartment hunting I had very similar requirements as you, and interest in the same areas, but almost everywhere wanted a 1 year contract and 3 months up front.

There are so many empty condos in bangkok, you would think owners would be happy to offer a short term contract. But no, it seems they would rather have it empty... or charge you 20-40% extra.

Good luck, hope you find somewhere :)

Edited by celso

The Next condo 2 min from tesco lotus and BTS in On Nut has 15k 1 bedrooms on a 1 year term with washers.

Im sure you can get studios in the building for 15k month to month or on 3 month terms.

Edited by jamilv

This place isn't exactly in the area you want but it is in the price range and only a about 300 m down Sukhumvit Soi 22. They advertise a 30 sqm place for B7500 a month. Check out their website for details: www.libplace.com Liberty Place Serviced Apartments

Just a conclusion to this topic, since so many threads that appear useful on this forum turn out to have incomplete/ misleading/ outdated info, which makes the Search tool worth just about f***-all of your time.

To answer the question of this thread:

It's possible to find a studio/1 bdr for 15k on a monthly basis (without a 6 month contract) close to MRT/BTS in December -January- February, but you'd have to get very lucky and have a lot of patience and time on your hands. I'll explain why further down.

As for myself, I've rented a decent studio near Sutthisan MRT for 12k per month, on a monthly basis. I've done so not because it's particularly worth it, but because I didn't have to deal with the widespread Bs that I've encountered at other places.

1. Internet is included in the price; not as reliable as I would want but ok 75% of the time, with daily router resets. This is not common, wifi is usually 400-600 baht on top at most other places.

2. Bedsheets and towels are included. Other places charge 700 baht.

3. TV+fridge+chair+couch are included. Most other places charge for some or all these even on a monthly contract where you pay 50%-75% pm extra compared to the yearly contract.

4. There is a small gym, but not much equipment there. I've seen other places in my price range of 10-20k with better gyms and a small crappy pool. Or a decent pool but no gym.

5. Reception personnel speaks reasonable English and they are generally reliable. You'd think this is common sense, but I've seen places asking 15k-25k with a very unavailable and '<deleted> do you want' attitude.

Further remarks on general advice/myths that I've seen posted on other threads:

1. Walk does the soi/alleys and you'll find the good deal - this is a waste of time unless you have a thai friend with you, lots of patience and tolerance to bs and you are looking for a 'thai-style' place: noisy, thai toilet and blank faces at reception when you ask about the internet connection. True, the price might be less than half, e-g- 5k baht for a studio and 9k for 1bdr.

2. The price range for which you can get a decent place (not luxurious) is 25k for a studio and 30-35 for 1 bdr, in the areas I've mentioned ( between Saphan Kwai and Phaya Thai BTS, between Ekkamai and On-Nut BTS, Huai Khwang - Sutthisan MRT). The same places will be 12k-20k on a 6 month contract, consistent with the 50-75% extra for monthly rental.

3. Plenty of apartments available - this is only true for a min 6 month contract. They tend to be very inflexible at the reception about a lower term . 3 months might be doable at higher rate, but not that common and you'd have to speak to the boss somehow, not the employees.

4. Of the remaining suitable places, after the whole search & visit process is done, about 75% are full. Even where I'm staying now I got the last room of about 25 total. There were supposed to be 2 available but another guy took one of them as I was arriving.

5. I suspect this whole situation might be different once the rainy season kicks in, from May. You should have enough remaining choices if you're coming during those months.

• Like 1

If you want the price to go down simply move down suk a little to Udom Suk area. There are 2 condos there at the BTS station that will fit your price range. Nice area too, free shuttle to Mega, decent market.... I hate On nut, I hate it so much. It reminds me of that scene in that terrible "The Beach" movie with decraprio where he gets to his hotel in thailand and sees a bunch of backpackers sitting on a couch and watching a movie. forgive the unsolicited opinion smile.png

Edited by isawasnake