Authorities investigate luggage fire at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

The three most asked questions at airports, around 3 billion times in a year:

"Has anyone else packed your bags for you?"

"Has anyone asked you to carry an item on this flight?"

"Have any of the items you are traveling with been out of your immediate control since the time you packed them?"

And this person obviously lied, lied and lied. So, sue him for damages.

You must have read my post on page 1, ?? if you did why not like ? or it's a coincidence.thumbsup.gif

Just coincident

Takes me always ages to research, write and spell check what I have to say giggle.gif

(Just so the grammar brigade has nothing to moan about) giggle.gif

So most likely, I did write this before you posted yours, maybe not smile.png

Sorry wai.gif

When you've both stopped bickering about who was first with the post, and how good the contents of the post is; who exactly did this person 'lie' to?

As I've iterated, there is no baggage check before check-in at Suva. Who did he lie to, before the fire that is?

He lied after the event, if the report is correct. I agree. However, prior to the event... pls... with respect, who did he lie to?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a despicable breach of security at the Thai airport. At the very least, this fertilizer luggage should have been sniffed out by a security dog. International transportation and air safety folks should take notice of the Thai airport's lack of security. If they haven't already noticed breaches in Thai security, now is the time to be forewarned.

Typical dodging of responsibility as this was all down to a passengers ignorance and nothing said about the screening process, or lack of, and general security.

"...nothing said about the screening process, or lack of, and general security."

Apart from a statement that the airport had many security steps that would have prevented the luggage getting on to the plane. I think that is commenting on security measures although you choose to ignore it.

"Have any of the items you are traveling with been out of your immediate control since the time you packed them?"

You must have read my post on page 1, ?? if you did why not like ? or it's a coincidence.thumbsup.gif

Just coincident

Takes me always ages to research, write and spell check what I have to say giggle.gif

Sorry wai.gif

When you've both stopped bickering about who was first with the post, and how good the contents of the post is; who exactly did this person 'lie' to?

As I've iterated, there is no baggage check before check-in at Suva. Who did he lie to, before the fire that is?

He lied after the event, if the report is correct. I agree. However, prior to the event... pls... with respect, who did he lie to?

Ohh nothing to do with bickering. A reasonable question with a reasonable answer, that's all.

Now as I saw on the picture, the luggage is on a conveyor belt.

Sorry, I haven't seen any luggage conveyor belts BEFORE check-in in Suvarnabumi.

Means to me, he already checked in and at check-in, more or less anywhere in the world,

those three questions are asked and displayed at the counter.

• Like 1

Just coincident

Sorry wai.gif

EXCUSE ME, Mr. clever, Who is "bickering" not your business anyway, Please answer did I lie ??? with my post ???

I said what happened when the normal questions were asked, was the baggage beamed up ?? it must have been checked in surely.

Who also was asking "how good the contents were" ???

Are you a wanna be Mod ??

Did I respond to your post ??.... WHY ASK.

Got to find an airport where my bag is taken from me and by-passed the check in counter.

Enjoy your post without poking your nose into a chat I had with a poster.

This is a despicable breach of security at the Thai airport. At the very least, this fertilizer luggage should have been sniffed out by a security dog. International transportation and air safety folks should take notice of the Thai airport's lack of security. If they haven't already noticed breaches in Thai security, now is the time to be forewarned.

Typical dodging of responsibility as this was all down to a passengers ignorance and nothing said about the screening process, or lack of, and general security.

"...nothing said about the screening process, or lack of, and general security."

Apart from a statement that the airport had many security steps that would have prevented the luggage getting on to the plane. I think that is commenting on security measures although you choose to ignore it.

The passenger had checked in which means passing through the initial screening before reaching the check-in desk and it wasn't picked up. It doesn't matter how much security there is if it doesn't work No reason offered as to how the material reached check-in other than passenger ignorance.

passengers are usually asked if they packed their luggage themselves. if she was asked she must have lied. prosecute her.

Not at check-in they're not, if at all. Doesn't that only happen if an individual is targetted by the authorities and the luggage is about to be examined? I've never been asked that question in more than 40 years of travelling.

• Like 1

EXCUSE ME, Mr. clever, Who is "bickering" not your business anyway, Please answer did I lie ??? with my post ???

I said what happened when the normal questions were asked, was the baggage beamed up ?? it must have been checked in surely.

Got to find an airport where my bag is taken from me and by-passed the check in counter.

With due respect, I see no conveyor belt that luggage is on. I see a ramp, up from this side of check-in, to the main runner... which takes it to intial x-ray.

On the other side is no conveyor, if you look. It is walked in luggage. Tell me where in Suva, to the point it is not on a conveyor belt, exactly where it has been previously checked, or questioned. Said person did not by-pass check-in. Q.E.D.

Enjoy you assumptions, and your derogatory insinuations.

With due respect, I see no conveyor belt that luggage is on. I see a ramp, up from this side of check-in, to the main runner... which takes it to intial x-ray.

On the other side is no conveyor, if you look. It is walked in luggage. Tell me where in Suva, to the point it is not on a conveyor belt, exactly where it has been previously checked, or questioned. Said person did not by-pass check-in. Q.E.D.

Understand much of what you post, a bag has got to be checked in, it was not confirmed weather it had or had not. where it was when it caught fire I was not really concerned, it was again, why was this substance in the airport, and the passenger has to be in airport police custody for carrying on someones bag, and not knowing it's contents---blinding suspicious.

'Derogatory insinuations" you got up OUR noses by your comments re bickering-----stop the tripe. then no problems.

• Like 1

passengers are usually asked if they packed their luggage themselves. if she was asked she must have lied. prosecute her.

Not at check-in they're not, if at all. Doesn't that only happen if an individual is targetted by the authorities and the luggage is about to be examined? I've never been asked that question in more than 40 years of travelling.

It is mandatory from few years now for the check in to ask that....but....probably not every airline company's employee follow the rules..and probably not every passenger listen carefully or answers the questions properly...

• Like 2

Maybe people will say i'm talking rubbish, but if this happened in the airport, maybe it could of happened on the plane itself. To me this incident was far better off happening in the airport than 36,000 feet up in the air ! Even though it should of never of happened in the first place.

I just cannot believe you were never asked that at check in. unless you flew Tarom--Aeroflot-Sudanese for 40 years.

I use EVA-Thai-Emirates-Etihad-and a host more and have USUALLY been asked prior to the hold baggage is ticketed when weighed.

Hows your battery in your hearing aid. cheesy.gif .. this smiley is not being nasty by the way.

Each dog is trained to sniff out whatever specific singular item they are trained for.

I know this because I was standing next to one once with a pocket full of weed.....the dog laid down and went to sleep.

Bet he was ravenous when he woke up though.

• Like 2

Understand much of what you post, a bag has got to be checked in, it was not confirmed weather it had or had not. where it was when it caught fire I was not really concerned, it was again, why was this substance in the airport, and the passenger has to be in airport police custody for carrying on someones bag, and not knowing it's contents---blinding suspicious.

'Derogatory insinuations" you got up OUR noses by your comments re bickering-----stop the tripe. then no problems.

Fine... all's well at the camp. I questioned only who did he/she lie to. I agree, thoroughly, that the contents of the bag should not have even entered the building. Maybe that is a new check airports need. ;)

• Like 1

This was breach of security! To let that passenger to board that plane was also a big mistake...People on that plane just got very lucky.....

<deleted>? Are you finishing off the dog's breath? Umbanda?

Fine... all's well at the camp. I questioned only who did he/she lie to. I agree, thoroughly, that the contents of the bag should not have even entered the building. Maybe that is a new check airports need. wink.png

At Udon Airport before check in all baggage goes through a machine, then you carry it to the check in desk to be ticketed and recorded and weighed and are asked the normal--did you pack the case--Is it yours--are there electrical items inside ?? similar questions. then it goes off to wherever and you hand luggage it vetted-x rayed- before the gate. Then checked for weight.

I question security -as you say- and PG-Bangkok Airways re -this incident.thumbsup.gif

Most airports will now not accept lithium batteries in checked luggage...and BKK allows phosphorous / fertiliser? Unbelievable

Like Ho Chi Minh City airport, you suitcase(s) are checkin in and go directly through scanners with staff. If anything wrong, immediately they put you and your luggage aside. I am pretty convinced Suvarnabhumi does not have time / machinery / staff to have proper checks on bigger luggage pieces. Big Lithium Ion Packs are easy to check in at Suvarnabhumi. And it is a major risk......

Maybe you've never been to an airport then. The entries to the check in counters are gated off and there are huge x-ray machines that you have to put your bags on before you get in line to check in.

When was the last time you were at an airport?

Today, even at Suvarnabhumi, you waddle up to checkin unhindered, checkin, and you and your luggage go on your separate ways.

The X-Ray machines and excessive screenings at airport departures have been done away with at most airports. Has been that way for some time now. Never was that way at Suvarnabhumi.

Although, incidents like this may make them implement it.

• Like 2

Maybe you've never been to an airport then. The entries to the check in counters are gated off and there are huge x-ray machines that you have to put your bags on before you get in line to check in.

Today, even at Suvarnabhumi, you waddle up to checkin unhindered, checkin, and you and your luggage go on your separate ways.

The X-Ray machines and excessive screenings at airport departures have been done away with at most airports. Has been that way for some time now. Never was that way at Suvarnabhumi.

at Don Muang they always did. And still do. First scanner, security sticker and check-in counter......

• Like 1

Also, the checkin questions everyone is going on about would seem to no longer be universally asked.

I just flew (Delta) from the USA (Orlando and Atlanta [long story, cancelled flight etc etc etc]) to Bangkok a couple of weeks ago and a) no baggage screening prior to checkin and B) no questions at checkin regarding my checked bags.

at Don Muang they always did. And still do. First scanner, security sticker and check-in counter......

Have not used Don Muang since Suvarnabhumi opened, but I do remember the procedure. I always thought it was extremely superficial anyway.

But this incident happened at Suvarnabhumi , not Don Muang.

Edited by WhizBang

Maybe people will say i'm talking rubbish, but if this happened in the airport, maybe it could of happened on the plane itself. To me this incident was far better off happening in the airport than 36,000 feet up in the air ! Even though it should of never of happened in the first place.

No shit sherlock..

Bags go through an x-ray machine before you check in right? I guess the machine wouldn't pick up the fertilizer, but isn't there a guy looking at a screen? Wouldn't a bag full of fertilizer look strange and warrant having a look? Its not the shape of usual stuff you take on a trip. Maybe the security is in place but it just wasn't effectively executed.

It should have shown up as "organic" material and then raised, by a "competent" operator, for investigation.

Melbourne Airport.

Interesting, in my fairly extensive travels around Europe, Asia and the Indian sub-continent I've never seen dogs operating in the public areas of airports.

Are the dogs at Melbourne sniffing for explosives, cash, drugs or whatever? I'm not sure there's such a thing as a 'universal' sniffer dog (could be wrong there of course).

Montreal airport, had a dog sniffing my luggage twice on arrival.

At Suwanaphumi (and most other airports) security check of luggage is done AFTER check in, you lot of smart guys on this forum facepalm.gif(unlike Udon Thani and Don Mueang)

Edited by tartempion

You mean check-in and then security sticker, and then scanner? Or do you drive a car blue (rott si fah)? Your kids are teaching you the wrong order! 55 :(

just the thing to have some passenger not knowing what he was carrying, and attempting to check this in.

For this reason, white phosphorus that is aged or otherwise impure (e.g. weapons-grade not lab-grade WP) is also called yellow phosphorus. White phosphorus glows in the dark (when exposed to oxygen) with a very faint tinge of green and blue, is highly flammable and pyrophoric (self-igniting) upon contact with air and is toxic (causing severe liver damage on ingestion). Owing to its pyrophoricity, white phosphorus is used as an additive in napalm.

wikipedia