British tourists attracted to 'carnival-like' Bangkok protests

webfact

Come on armchair generals. I've been here for over 10 years and went to see all major protests. I was in front of Dusit Zoo in 2006 when coup happen, In 2008 i was near Don Mueang when taken over by PAD, in 2010 I was at Khaosarn road during the battle of Democracy monument, I was also guiding ABC and AFP journalists through sois around Asoke and Lumpini and was 100m from the spot where Sah Daeng was shot... and yes, I went to see these demonstrations too because I simply have to pass through their sites. Sometimes I stop for souvenir shopping, food or even some good music, but of course as a common sense I'm not joining any marches or doing any other stupid things.

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep idiots. They could find themselves being arrested and charged short stint in the Hilton and deported.

I passed there close to the MBK....with a good 10 % tourists, also some with small children and babies........walking there, stopping to watch, walking...looking the open air market.....

No way the government will arrest and deport hundreds of tourists.....

It's a happy peaceful demonstration, full of lovely people who truly represent a decent Thailand. Have visited the Asoke stage area many times, as you have to travel through anyway; it never fails to surprise me how generous everyone is, giving out free food etc.

"idiots!" the red shirt farangs on here are seething about this as they know the 2010 trouble doesn't compare favorably. What can you say.

I too have passed through the Asoke protest area many times & even been invited to join in once.

These tourists are in more danger renting a motorbike or from a yaa-baa influenced bus driver on a trip up country or even mistakenly thinking a zebra-crossing gives a pedestrian right of way.

Unsurprising that it's mainly the anti-protestor brigade who are uptight about this.

After the bombings and the shootings, go on purpose there as tourist it's really stupid. If you go there because your choice, it's your own responsibility, but if you fall victim of a bomb or a bullet then don't complain about it. You just searched for it then.

There's a lot of advices from embassies of many countries, why have to put the thing on anti-protest?

It's a happy peaceful demonstration, full of lovely people who truly represent a decent Thailand. Have visited the Asoke stage area many times, as you have to travel through anyway; it never fails to surprise me how generous everyone is, giving out free food etc.

"idiots!" the red shirt farangs on here are seething about this as they know the 2010 trouble doesn't compare favorably. What can you say.

Unsurprising that it's mainly the anti-protestor brigade who are uptight about this.

Very uptight! I guess violence is the only thing these types can relate to

Lucky you, you weren't at Victory monument, or near the grenade explosion... And if you would just call to call red shirts whoever tries to give advice with common sense, that would be appreciate.

The danger is not possibly to be deported, but it could be dangerous for some sudden attack as happened at day and night to protest sites...

I too have passed through the Asoke protest area many times & even been invited to join in once.

These tourists are in more danger renting a motorbike or from a yaa-baa influenced bus driver on a trip up country or even mistakenly thinking a zebra-crossing gives a pedestrian right of way.

After the bombings and the shootings, go on purpose there as tourist it's really stupid. If you go there because your choice, it's your own responsibility, but if you fall victim of a bomb or a bullet then don't complain about it. You just searched for it then.

There's a lot of advices from embassies of many countries, why have to put the thing on anti-protest?

The Op was about Siam Square and my post was about Asoke. Neither area has had any bombs or shootings and in areas where the violence occurred it was mainly at night or in the early hours of the morning.

It seems that you think that these tourists are searching for violence - not a very clever assumption. As Siam Square is one of the major shopping areas in the city, adding a visit to the protests is hardly a stretch and just adds to the 'been there, done that' sort of tourists. The danger is highly exaggerated.

The Op was about Siam Square and my post was about Asoke. Neither area has had any bombs or shootings and in areas where the violence occurred it was mainly at night or in the early hours of the morning.

It seems that you think that these tourists are searching for violence - not a very clever assumption. As Siam Square is one of the major shopping areas in the city, adding a visit to the protests is hardly a stretch and just adds to the 'been there, done that' sort of tourists. The danger is highly exaggerated.

I'd be cautious to say that Siam Square and Asoke are safe because it never happened anything, things can change sharply. And I remember to everyone reading the forum that Embassies suggest to avoid ALL protest sites. Then, it's all up to you guys.

I have to go to work everyday at Silom too, not really happy but I MUST do that. But who's a tourist and could avoid danger, they'd better do.

I'd be cautious to say that Siam Square and Asoke are safe because it never happened anything, things can change sharply. And I remember to everyone reading the forum that Embassies suggest to avoid ALL protest sites. Then, it's all up to you guys.

I have to go to work everyday at Silom too, not really happy but I MUST do that. But who's a tourist and could avoid danger, they'd better do.

As Fish Fingers pointed out all you're doing is scaremongering. Following your 'logic' there would be no areas in Bangkok safe if a group of protestors walked by earlier.

Don't you think that tourists face dangers from crossing the road, driving a motorbike - as I mentioned earlier? To repeat - the danger faced by the tourists in the Op is highly exaggerated.

As Fish Fingers pointed out all you're doing is scaremongering. Following your 'logic' there would be no areas in Bangkok safe if a group of protestors walked by earlier.

Don't you think that tourists face dangers from crossing the road, driving a motorbike - as I mentioned earlier? To repeat - the danger faced by the tourists in the Op is highly exaggerated.

Khunken, so you are implying that Embassies are scaremongering? Oh well, I give up.

After all it's your idea, but I just can't see how you can tell it's all just about anti-protest.

Of course you and tourist are well free to do what you prefer to do, I have no problem with that. Happy walk at protest site you all then ;)

Khunken, so you are implying that Embassies are scaremongering? Oh well, I give up.

After all it's your idea, but I just can't see how you can tell it's all just about anti-protest.

Of course you and tourist are well free to do what you prefer to do, I have no problem with that. Happy walk at protest site you all then wink.png

No, I said that you are scaremongering - don't twist what I said. The Embassies are only protecting their <deleted> by issuing travel advisories that often make no sense. Western tourists tend to ignore them whereas Asian tourists tend to follow them. You should know better if you are a resident in Bangkok.

Odd that you have made no attempt to answer the possibility that other tourist activities may be dangerous - maybe even more so.

• Like 2

Of course you and tourist are well free to do what you prefer to do, I have no problem with that. Happy walk at protest site you all then wink.png

No, I said that you are scaremongering - don't twist what I said. The Embassies are only protecting their <deleted> by issuing travel advisories that often make no sense. Western tourists tend to ignore them whereas Asian tourists tend to follow them. You should know better if you are a resident in Bangkok.

Odd that you have made no attempt to answer the possibility that other tourist activities may be dangerous - maybe even more so.

Let me clarify: I did not twist anything. What I am saying is the same that embassies do: AVOID PROTEST SITES! Or not? Or did I say something different? I only expanded the concept saying WHY it should be like that. So you are telling I am a scaremonger, but embassies that say the same are not. Good, I don't understand your reasoning but I will live with it.

And yes I have been a resident for many years, and I well avoided possible problems in 2006, 2008, 2010 and today.

If you think Embassies advice are bullshit, then it's ok. Good luck with that. I won't sure agree with you.

Other activities are all dangerous of course, but just use common sense as it is in your country, and get some information before to travel and your ass will be safe. What I have to comment on that? blink.png I would stick on the topic and not derailing speaking of scams, jetski, and buffaloes in countrysides.

I hope I made my idea clear enough, and I don't have anything more to prove or comment. You have your idea, I have a different one.

Peace.

i see many farang enjoying themselves at the protests in Youtube videos so I wonder many peple say good fun and many say no and then is it a good carnival to enjoy or not? many music and dancing I see in videos and peple smile . Thai idea for enjoy is good in life and because they love to enjoy so much maybe sometimes peple misunderstand

Let me clarify: I did not twist anything. What I am saying is the same that embassies do: AVOID PROTEST SITES! Or not? Or did I say something different? I only expanded the concept saying WHY it should be like that. So you are telling I am a scaremonger, but embassies that say the same are not. Good, I don't understand your reasoning but I will live with it.

And yes I have been a resident for many years, and I well avoided possible problems in 2006, 2008, 2010 and today.

If you think Embassies advice are bullshit, then it's ok. Good luck with that. I won't sure agree with you.

Other activities are all dangerous of course, but just use common sense as it is in your country, and get some information before to travel and your ass will be safe. What I have to comment on that? blink.png I would stick on the topic and not derailing speaking of scams, jetski, and buffaloes in countrysides.

I hope I made my idea clear enough, and I don't have anything more to prove or comment. You have your idea, I have a different one.

Peace.

The Embassies are not posting on TV - I am arguing with you. Yes I disagree with you but you are of course entitled to your view. But I don't like it when a poster twists what I said

'Khunken, so you are implying that Embassies are scaremongering'. I neither said or implied that.

Peace to you too.

• Like 1

"Its really interesting to see how political dissagrement is in a different culture than us"

Why dont go to Somalia then ? Or Monrovia ? What a fool. Tipical backpaker thats feels like a worldwide nomad , but always with 50 euros notes drom daddy in their pockets

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Wavnarok

What's wrong with wandering around Siam? Its hardly a war zone. More like a street market.

Sounds like there are a few bed wetters who are afraid of their own shadows.

totally agree.

the protest zones are not dangerous for tourists who behave normally.

its not about behaving properly, rather someone else behaving improperly! But what the heck if some don't mind a bit of Heavy Metal who am I to say.... Bloody Drongos!

Looking at the statistics, there are more injured in traffic than by violent actions related to protests.

What's wrong with wandering around Siam? Its hardly a war zone. More like a street market.

Sounds like there are a few bed wetters who are afraid of their own shadows.

totally agree.

the protest zones are not dangerous for tourists who behave normally.

its not about behaving properly, rather someone else behaving improperly! But what the heck if some don't mind a bit of Heavy Metal who am I to say.... Bloody Drongos!

Looking at the statistics, there are more injured in traffic than by violent actions related to protests.

Tis not a stat when it could happen to a persons loved ones nor the person.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tis not a stat when it could happen to a persons loved ones nor the person.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

everything is a stat / a risk / a probability

Sounๆds like there are a few bed wetters who are afraid of their own shadows.

Yes,some posters do seem to be rather miserable, mustn't have fun must we?, perhaps that's why so many UK residents prefer to live in Thailand, they enjoy the sanuk which may be lacking back home.

Regarding safety, walking around the protest site is considerably safer than outside-no buses or motorbikes to run you over.

It is quite obvious from your other comment Siripon that you support Suthep and his protestors. You want to downplay the risks to people.

Unfortunately, people have been killed at the protest sites. One need not to be a participant, on either side to suffer collateral damage.

These people think its carnival. It is not. Present at these sites are large numbers of people with guns. Wherever untrained and unsupervised weapons are found, there are injuries.

Bullets can miss their intended targets or ricochet. Explosives detonated do not discriminate.

These are foolish people who run the risk of serious injury. When it happens, they will expect the embassy to come running to take care of them. Some do not have health insurance that will pay for their medical care let alone medevac flight home.

coffee1.gif zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz