German doctor diagnoses man with help from 'House'

webfact

Doctor diagnoses man with help from House
Maria Cheng

FRANKFURT: -- If you're unlucky enough to be stricken with a rare medical condition, you'd better hope your doctor watches the right television show.

That was the lesson for one German man with severe heart failure and a puzzling mix of symptoms including fever, blindness, deafness and enlarged lymph nodes, which stumped doctors for months.

The 55-year-old man was diagnosed only when he was referred to Dr Juergen Schaefer, a fan of the US television medical drama, House.

"After five minutes, I knew what was wrong," said Schaefer, who works at the Centre for Undiagnosed Diseases in Marburg, north of Frankfurt.

He said the man's symptoms matched up almost perfectly with a patient on an episode in which the fictional Dr Gregory House, played by British actor Hugh Laurie, identified cobalt poisoning as the cause. [read more...]

Full story: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/doctor-diagnoses-man-with-help-from-house-20140207-325ph.html

smh.jpg
-- Sydney Morning Herald 2014-2-7

Great to see that a doctor paid attention and was open minded enough to follow his intuition that this real case could in fact be similar to the fictitious case already solved by Dr House!

Quite, although I hope that this doesn't inspire other doctors with perhaps less intuitive prowess to make a rash copycat diagnosis!

The writers of House admit that while they base the in-story illnesses on medical practice, they quite often make the illnesses and cures up!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1