Another Black Day In Burma's History...

LaoPo

Aung San Suu Kyi

now already spent 10 out of the last 16 years under 'house arrest' by the Military regime in Burma/Myanmar; a NOBEL PRIZE Awarded Lady..... :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5022626.stm

Aung San Suu Kyi, 60 years of age.

It surprises me (read: I'm shocked) that there is so little news about her in the region :D

LaoPo

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UN head calls for Suu Kyi release

This was the news YESTERDAY....Friday May 27th... :o:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/5019024.stm

You can read the 'answer' in the first post :D

By the:

""Burma's hardline generals""

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3755684.stm

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

yes the international community has let down Aung San Suu Kyi along with most of the Burmese people, now if only they had some oil .........

LOL!

Yep. George W (W stands for 'war monger') would be there in a flash, if there was a 'key' energy resource involved. He would 'save' the Burmese from the tyrannical dictator.

All this aside, since there is no chance of George W Jnr getting involved (thank god), the only immediate way out is a revolt by the Burmese. As usual, another war is at hand...sooner or later. At least the yanks may not be involved with & therefore not add to this debacle.

Edited by elkangorito

yes the international community has let down Aung San Suu Kyi along with most of the Burmese people, now if only they had some oil .........

They have important offshore oil and gas deposits* (*see below), but unfortunately they also have something else..... :D which brings billions into the hands of a few (on an estimated population of 47 million+)....guess who... :o

"(Burma) remains world's second largest producer of illicit opium (estimated production in 2004 - 292 metric tons, down 40% from 2003 due to eradication efforts and drought; cultivation in 2004 - 30,900 hectares, a 34% decline from 2003); lack of government will to take on major narcotrafficking groups and lack of serious commitment against money laundering continues to hinder the overall antidrug effort; major source of methamphetamine and heroin for regional consumption; currently under Financial Action Task Force countermeasures due to continued failure to address its inadequate money-laundering controls (2005)"

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbo...m.html#Military

And also:

"Military-run enterprises control key industries, and corruption and severe mismanagement are the hallmarks of a black-market-riven economy.

The armed forces - and former rebels co-opted by the government - have been accused of large-scale trafficking in heroin, of which Burma is a major exporter. Prostitution and HIV/Aids are major problems"

source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-paci...les/1300003.stm

*A largely rural, densely forested country, Burma is the world's largest exporter of teak and is a principal source of jade, pearls, rubies and sapphires. It is endowed with extremely fertile soil and has important offshore oil and gas deposits. However, its people remain very poor and are getting poorer.

source:

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

They have important offshore oil and gas deposits* (*see below), but unfortunately they also have something else..... :D which brings billions into the hands of a few (on an estimated population of 47 million+)....guess who... :o

"(Burma) remains world's second largest producer of illicit opium (estimated production in 2004 - 292 metric tons, down 40% from 2003 due to eradication efforts and drought; cultivation in 2004 - 30,900 hectares, a 34% decline from 2003); lack of government will to take on major narcotrafficking groups and lack of serious commitment against money laundering continues to hinder the overall antidrug effort; major source of methamphetamine and heroin for regional consumption; currently under Financial Action Task Force countermeasures due to continued failure to address its inadequate money-laundering controls (2005)"

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbo...m.html#Military

And also:

"Military-run enterprises control key industries, and corruption and severe mismanagement are the hallmarks of a black-market-riven economy.

The armed forces - and former rebels co-opted by the government - have been accused of large-scale trafficking in heroin, of which Burma is a major exporter. Prostitution and HIV/Aids are major problems"

source:

*A largely rural, densely forested country, Burma is the world's largest exporter of teak and is a principal source of jade, pearls, rubies and sapphires. It is endowed with extremely fertile soil and has important offshore oil and gas deposits. However, its people remain very poor and are getting poorer.

source:

LaoPo

I'm in deep shock!!! I don't believe it!!! I WON'T BELIEVE it!!! You mean, the CIA is involved in drugs? You mean that the USA's intelligence agency is actually corrupt? Did they actually fund themselves by drug money? Was Haiti really a CIA endorsed campaign to distract the populous from the real goings on of the big corporations so that the big corporations could continue to rob the people of their hard earned cash & continue to make billions out of slave labour?

Anyway, how much did they rake in last financial year? If it's a good profit & if they're on the stock market, I might invest in some 'blood money'...NOT!!!

Maybe the worlds biggest terrorist (the US Administration) is too busy trying to patch up Iraq. When this is done & the sheep believe the US, the worlds self elected policeman (George) will start on Myanmar.

I'm in deep shock!!! I don't believe it!!! I WON'T BELIEVE it!!! You mean, the CIA is involved in drugs? You mean that the USA's intelligence agency is actually corrupt? Did they actually fund themselves by drug money? Was Haiti really a CIA endorsed campaign to distract the populous from the real goings on of the big corporations so that the big corporations could continue to rob the people of their hard earned cash & continue to make billions out of slave labour?

Anyway, how much did they rake in last financial year? If it's a good profit & if they're on the stock market, I might invest in some 'blood money'...NOT!!!

Maybe the worlds biggest terrorist (the US Administration) is too busy trying to patch up Iraq. When this is done & the sheep believe the US, the worlds self elected policeman (George) will start on Myanmar.

See above:

I'm not sure what you mean here....? Please clarify. :o

LaoPo

I'm in deep shock!!! I don't believe it!!! I WON'T BELIEVE it!!! You mean, the CIA is involved in drugs? You mean that the USA's intelligence agency is actually corrupt? Did they actually fund themselves by drug money?

.................etc., ant-american rant, blah................

I think you'll find that Burma is in the Chinese sphere of influence.

Lots of oil & resources - biggest oil operator is I think French company Total / Fina.

If you opened your eyes, and say, read the post, you'd see it links to CIA factbook, which is a good source of geographical info.

Aung San Suu Kyi

now already spent 10 out of the last 16 years under 'house arrest' by the Military regime in Burma/Myanmar; a NOBEL PRIZE Awarded Lady..... :o

It surprises me (read: I'm shocked) that there is so little news about her in the region :D

LaoPo

Probably because the lady , as the symbol of the democratic wishes of the majority of

people in her country , is an embarassment to the policy of "constructive engagement"

operated by Thailand and the whole of AESEAN.

That Thailand needs another "war on drugs" with , presumably the associated body-count ,

because of the very harmful epidemic of amphetamine use in it's population yet conducts

business almost as normal with a neighbour who produces most of the product just doesn't

make sense.

I see other people have taken the subject as an opportunity to do some GW knocking.

I am not a GW fan , but I fail to see how he can be blamed for this one. GW , indeed

the US is not responsible for the situation. It must be up to the people of the region to

try and do something.

I believe , correct me if I am wrong , that the US has an investment embargo on Myanmar.

The only outside influence which might be valid is for people in , say , France to boycott

French oil companies if they do business there.

I was surprised to read of a telecoms deal a while ago involving a Thai government loan

and a prominent Thai corporation providing the hardware. I saw little debate about this.

The only heartening thing is that years on she still has support all over the world.

May she turn out to be Myanmar's Mandela.

Aung San Suu Kyi

LaoPo

Probably because the lady , as the symbol of the democratic wishes of the majority of

people in her country , is an embarassment to the policy of "constructive engagement"

That Thailand needs another "war on drugs" with , presumably the associated body-count ,

because of the very harmful epidemic of amphetamine use in it's population yet conducts

business almost as normal with a neighbour who produces most of the product just doesn't

make sense.

I see other people have taken the subject as an opportunity to do some GW knocking.

I am not a GW fan , but I fail to see how he can be blamed for this one. GW , indeed

the US is not responsible for the situation. It must be up to the people of the region to

try and do something.

I believe , correct me if I am wrong , that the US has an investment embargo on Myanmar.

The only outside influence which might be valid is for people in , say ,

France to boycott French oil companies if they do business there.

I was surprised to read of a telecoms deal a while ago involving a Thai government loan

and a prominent Thai corporation providing the hardware. I saw little debate about this.

The only heartening thing is that years on she still has support all over the world.

Thanks 'farangsay' for your comments.

We can actually do something by signing a petition, here:

I call upon everybody who reads this to sign and send the petition!

http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/total.html

Thank you.

LaoPo

Unfortunately the above link (to Total Oil/France) is not the only company on the so called 'dirty list' of companies doing business with the regime in Burma:

http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/dirty_list...st_details.html

So: the United Nations should act...right?

But:

"The regime has consistently defied the United Nations, ignoring over a dozen calls for Aung San Suu Kyi’s release by the Secretary General, and 28 resolutions by the UN General Assembly and Human Rights Commission."

http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/pm/weblog.php?id=P211

:o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Thank you.

LaoPo[/color]

Signed, sent and delivered!

This is truly a sad situation, a shame. If you can, check out the movie, 'Beyond Rangoon', very touching.... 'Burma's Mandela', indeed! I've always wondered why her situation has been allowed to continue and hasn't been 'retified' by the powers-to-be......(China's sphere of influence here?). Here on the ground, it's been looking as though there has been some sort of deal where there's 'relative' peace for the citizens (and under-the-table-deals) in exchange for a non-harsh detention of Ms Aung San Suu Kyi. I even felt conflicted doing a visa run and paying the border crosing fee to the Burmese Military govt.

Here's something Thaksin said about Aung Saan Suu Yi on his radio show in 2004...

Meanwhile, as the rest of Southeast Asia has increasingly distanced itself from Burma, Thaksin has sought an ever closer embrace.

Speaking on his weekly radio broadcast after a visit to Rangoon, Thaksin said Burma's military leaders had said political instability caused by Suu Kyi's release could split the country along ethnic lines.

Burma, also known as Myanmar, "will be torn apart into many different countries," Thaksin quoted the senior military leader, Gen. Than Shwe, as saying. "The country will be a mess -- nothing will be left."

"These are the reasons they gave [for holding Suu Kyi], which are reasonable enough and convincing," Thaksin told the radio program.

His comments have prompted concern among administration officials and lawmakers who think his policy of engagement with Burma has failed. "The regime has stiffed him," said a senior U.S. official.

David I. Steinberg, head of Asian studies at Georgetown University, called Thaksin's comments on Suu Kyi "really bad" and said his voicing them "endears him to no one."

The State Department official said the administration has raised questions with Thai officials about Thaksin's remarks. The problem, the official said, is that "our normal interlocutors in the foreign ministry are scratching their heads like we are, so it's kind of difficult to get what he had in mind when he says things like that." :D

--Washington Post 2004-12-25

I can't wait to read where he stands today with her detention extended. :o Probably depends if he's still doing business over in Myan-marred.

Here's something Thaksin said about Aung Saan Suu Yi on his radio show in 2004...

Burma, also known as Myanmar, "will be torn apart into many different countries," Thaksin quoted the senior military leader, Gen. Than Shwe, as saying. "The country will be a mess -- nothing will be left."

Thaksin was certainly not speaking for the people of Burma back than....because:

"1990, May 27: Despite her continuing detention (Aung San Suu Kyi), the National League for Democracy wins a landslide victory in the general elections by securing 82 percent of the seats; the military junta refuses to recognise the results of the election"

General Than Shwe: "The country will be a mess...--nothing will be left" he meant: for us! :o

LaoPo

It's really disappointing that the protests against Thaksin never really concentrated on his totally unethical policy towards the military Junta in Myanmar - as well as the tyrannical so called 'war (massacre) on drugs'.

Thailand has a big role to play if Myanmar is ever to become a free country again - one could perhaps be suspicious that the status-quo suits Thailand just fine!!

I'm in deep shock!!! I don't believe it!!! I WON'T BELIEVE it!!! You mean, the CIA is involved in drugs? You mean that the USA's intelligence agency is actually corrupt? Did they actually fund themselves by drug money?

Lots of oil & resources - biggest oil operator is I think French company Total / Fina.

If you opened your eyes, and say, read the post, you'd see it links to CIA factbook, which is a good source of geographical info.

My apologees...I couldn't resist a bit of a rant :o

My apologees...I couldn't resist a bit of a rant :o

No apologies needed.....especially when you're speaking truth to power!!

Aung San Suu Kyi

LaoPo

Petition completed and sent

make sense.

try and do something.

The only outside influence which might be valid is for people in , say ,

France to boycott French oil companies if they do business there.

Thank you.

LaoPo

Thank you.

LaoPo

Also signed and sent...... :D

Just a shame that some of the most respected businesses in the world have portrayed themselves as nothing more than venomous bloodsuckers and parasites and I dont refer to the most obvious players (like seedy backwater Chinese government control freeks...although included)

Total Oil and Alcatel are probably the most prolific and they yet take out big adverts in the like of respectable newspapers :D like the Times trying to show their principaled and responsible natures.... :D ...OK being French thats bad enough but what about the likes of....

Rolls Royce. :D

Swiss Re,

Swift financial Services,

Suzuki,

Siemens,

Schlumberger,

PTTEP,

Petronas,

NYK Shipping,

Nippon Oil,

Mitsui,

Maersk...a right bunch of rogues.....

as well as a host of nasty spineless (mostly) British Travel companies who are out for that last drop of blood......would they have operated in Nazi Germany ...one wonders....

No doubt things will change ...one day but lets hope that the "dirty list" isnt forgotten :o

Send a birthday card to Aung San Suu Kyi!

Do you care for the people and freedom in Myanmar?

Than support her and:

Send a card to Aung San Suu Kyi and show your support on her birthday on 19th June.

Please send cards to Aung San Suu Kyi's home address in Burma:

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

54 University Avenue

Bahan 11201

Yangon

Myanmar

She will be 61 on June 19th and still under housearrest*, ordered by the Military Regime of the Generals.

Now already more than 10 years (of the past 16...) :o

http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/aungsansuukyi.php

LaoPo

Would it make any difference... it's a nice thought but protests from the world have gotten nowhere with the Burmese Military.... the only thing that will bring change IMHO is to do the exact opposite of every "free burma" campaign so far, and go to Burma, and show them that it is worth changing to have a tourist industry.

sorry but I couldn't agree less!!!!

It's not worth a single thing.... all these really useless but obviously well intentioned campaigns have achieved a sum total of nothing. Sorry but that's the truth. Did any amount of protests over the 30-40 years of Chinese communism have any effect.... no!! How many Aung Saan Suu Yi's where there in China... hundreds if not thousands!!

There is only one way to change Burma.... and that is to go there. Spend money there, the only thing that will change Burma is the temptation of the influx of huge amounts of tourist dollars. You may think I'm heartless and stupid ( I'm sure some do here anyway!) but being anything less than totally frank about the situation is tantamount to sticking your head in the sand and hoping it will all be OK. I'm sure Nelson Mandela would have preferred to not have had to go through what he did, Aung Saan Suu Yi should not be held up as a martyr, she should be given the chance to live a normal life, just like most? of us. And protests like this do more damage than they do good in my opinion, we should be whole heartedly pushing towards opening up Myanmar, not shutting it off!! How amny times do we need to be shown to see it does not work!!!

redface.gif I will translate this message/post/topic in Dutch and place in the Netherlands on some 'fora'. The Dutch are well know for individual actions and hopefully she will get lot's of cards from the Netherlands [also]. :D

:o Done ...

Edited by FlyingDutchman