How Old Were You When You Retired To Thailand?

tc101

How were you when you retired to Thailand?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am 50 years old and plan to retire with my wife in thailand in 5 years.

After almost 30 years of working in the coporate world and the relentless headaches and pressure I can't wait.

If it was up to my wife we'd leave for Thailand tomorrow but hopefully 5 more years of work will provide us a very comfortable retirement.

I'm 44, I've lived in Thailand for 1 year previously & I'll be returning in July with no intention of returning to the western world. I will not be retiring in Thailand as it is something I don't want to do...I anticipate working until I die.

I just want to get away from all the stifling rules, regs, clockwatching etc etc etc of the west & have the better quality of a less constricted lifestyle. I think Thailand can give me this.

Ditto, except a bit younger. I'd almost forgotten all those things that I came here to get away from.

QUOTE(udon @ 2006-05-29 00:26:01) *

I'll ask if we can have a Senior's section, but I doubt it, as there are over 50 sections now. smile.gif

Please, please please..........no "Senior's Section". What's the point and how will you define 'seniority'? It will be an open forum unless a subscriber needs to prove that he/she is a 'senior'!

Don't all the oldies hang out in a bar in Surin?

I came to Thailand January 2002 and worked halftime for almost 2 years.

Now I am retired and I have my best years in life!!

Life is getting better and better and I am 57 now and will hopefully hang in another couple of decades!

After 4 years here in Thailand I feel at least 5 years younger than when I came here. Both in body and in my head!

:o:D:D:D:D

Why not have a SENIOR topic?

We oldies can share our experiences and have a laugh about the "stupid" things the youngsters are doing and saying :D

Btw I am 63 and retired (in Thailand) since december 2004.

All well prepaired and taken care off.

Wondering many times how people can retire with 40-50 years?And I not mean mentally but financially. :D

I retired at 46 and never looked back.Party time!!!!!!!!!! :o:D:D

Retired from a professional career at age 56, with a pension, and lived in Latin America three years, doing some volunteer work. Came to Thailand as tourist in early 2003, and went home, sold it all, and moved here on 30 May 2003. Worked full time two years, had motorcycle accident, and hope to return to half-time work after the next surgery.

I do not for one nanosecond regret retiring at 56, even with the reduced pension. Don't regret coming to Thailand. Other than a bad shoulder, I'm in the best health you can be on, drinking diet cola and chocolate milk, and having frequent carnal pleasures. :o

Maybe we should have a Seniors forum with special rules and moderators.

Anyone who refers to us older citizens as : old farts, fat gits, sexpats, drunks, bloated disgusting old men, or any similar disparaging description would be given their marching orders.

It would be recognised that because of our seniority and experience we are always right on any subject including those of special interest to only us, such as incontinence, farting, etc. Anybody who flames us, argues, or comes into the forum to push their own agendas will be set upon and banned! :D

:D

Nominated for Thaivisa Post of The Month for May

:o

I'm in the best health you can be on, drinking diet cola and chocolate milk, and having frequent carnal pleasures.

All of them simultaneously??? :D:D:D

Btw, go easy on the Pepsi Max… it’s getting difficult for the rest of us to find….

Btw, congrats on enjoying your early retirement...

:o

QUOTE(udon @ 2006-05-29 00:26:01) *

I'll ask if we can have a Senior's section, but I doubt it, as there are over 50 sections now. smile.gif

Please, please please..........no "Senior's Section". What's the point and how will you define 'seniority'? It will be an open forum unless a subscriber needs to prove that he/she is a 'senior'!

Don't all the oldies hang out in a bar in Surin?

Is that "Country Road" in Surin? I was there in about '94 sitting around talking with retired expats and decided it was worth considering. One told me to start a bank account and transfer money from time to time, and it would eventually happen.

I never drank with those old guys and was told 'not drinking' would insult the village men. I'll need to live outside of Sukhumvit if I retire early -too expensive. So village life may be the main option. Anyway, it's been my goal for over 20 years. I'd go tomorrow if there was a way.

Meanwhile, it's good to feed off the stories of the guys living the life... :o

I never drank with those old guys and was told 'not drinking' would insult the village men.

Nonsense!

It might annoy the alkies who don't want to work but love getting free drinks off the gullible farang(it's a big joke among Thai men).

I've lived two lives in this country, one as a drunk and one as a tea-totaller. Guess which one gets the most respect from the locals?

When I tell them I'm a recovered alkie they usually give a big wai as they've never heard of an alkie sobering up for more than a year.

I think Chang beer is the best way to avoid becoming an alcoholic. :o

A Chang hangover lasts me about three days and the first two days I can't stand the sight of another beer. :D

I retired at 50, after restructuring my business interests, coming to Thailand never entered my head.

About 10 months after giving it away a friend persuaded me to go into the Gulf of Thailand to look at a problem on an oil/gas platform -- 2 weeks maximum he said and agreed to pay the ridiculous fee I put on the job. Well, I finished up working for Chevron for 2 ½ years and it looked like it would go on forever. I quit but by then I had met and married TW and now 3 years later definitely retired – no more work for me and very happy here!

I only have few more years to go and I can't wait. I got cursed(or blessed) by going to Thailand 13 years ago on a holiday trip and it changed my life forever. I'll be retiring at 48 with OK income but if I stayed till 60, I would have gotten a very generous pension but I can't wait that long so I'll opt to retire at 48 and live with less means but MUCH happier which is very important to me versus working longer for better pension.

Life is too short and I want to enjoy it as much as possible before turning into ashes.

By the time I'm 60 I'll probably be so grumpy that I'd be banned from TV... maybe that's why so few oldies post here? :o They tend to be less diplomatic, more likely to call a spade a spade...

If you tell it like it is, call a Thai a Thai, or call a ho a ho, you will surely be banned on any Thailand website. Most farangs in Thailand would not know a spade if they saw one.

QUOTE(OlRedEyes @ 2006-05-28 10:25:06) *

By the time I'm 60 I'll probably be so grumpy that I'd be banned from TV... maybe that's why so few oldies post here? dry.gif They tend to be less diplomatic, more likely to call a spade a spade...

If you tell it like it is, call a Thai a Thai, or call a ho a ho, you will surely be banned on any Thailand website. Most farangs in Thailand would not know a spade if they saw one.

:o:D:D

The Dude is 44 and retired in Thailand for now. He will maintain his residence in the states though just in case he wants to go back someday. The Dude does not like to burn bridges; He digs keeping them open and maintained. He digs the quality of life and wide arrange of goods and services offered in the USA. He has a palacial pad on the beach there. He knows if he sold out and torched the bridge that he could never return. He wishes to have that option. Now who can dig that with a shovel?

Oh and The Dude wanted to add that he does not want Thailand to be his end all because he is not convinced that it is special enough to be that. Hope you can dig what The Dude is saying on this very important matter

TW and I plan the "big move" the summer of 2009. We enjoy our jobs here and really (TW move then me" enjoy our life in Southren California, but I plan to enjoy not working and living in Thailand.

Our daughter is working in Thailand (nurse) so with her ( come on grandchildren) there gives us one more reason to move and retire.

Work gets in the way of golf, hiking, mountain biking, yoga and meditation. So come on 2009. i'll be 56 and wife in her 40s.

Edited by sendbaht

The Dude is 44 and retired in Thailand for now. He will maintain his residence in the states though just in case he wants to go back someday. The Dude does not like to burn bridges; He digs keeping them open and maintained. He digs the quality of life and wide arrange of goods and services offered in the USA. He has a palacial pad on the beach there. He knows if he sold out and torched the bridge that he could never return. He wishes to have that option. Now who can dig that with a shovel?

Khun The dude chawp kian third person maak maak

i'm 37 and working my butt off as an expat in thailand so that i can eventually retire in...thailand.

actually i intend to maintain homes in australia, thailand, singapore and shanghai so retired life wont be so boring.