HR jobs in off-shore?

cgphuket

Hi, just a basic question. Do the energy compnaies that operate around here use any real HR people? The reason I ask is that I have seen 2-3 companies positng on Thai based job boards for experienced HR / Trainers /ETC. I have applied to these jobs several times (I have experience in HR and a Masters degree, as well as living in Thailand several years). I have never gotten so much as a reply, even when they send my an e-mail asking me to apply, they never follow through. These jobs are often marked "urgent" and the same jobs are posted every 2-3 weeks for the last several years. I guess I am asking, are these real jobs or some kind of scam? Sorry for the ignorance, just find it strange.

Typically, oil companies in Thailand try to fill as many positions as possible with locals. Part of that is economic, part of it is political.

The oil companies have a different relationship with the government than most multi-nationals because of the nature of oil exploration and production (and mining)- where the government is effectively a partner- entitled to a share of the production (royalty) as well as taxes, etc. I know that, for my position, my company had to show that there are no locals available who have the experience for my particular specialized niche. Otherwise, I'd be working someplace else and a Thai guy would be sitting at my desk.

Since the majority of their employees are Thai, it would make sense that any HR and training positions could be filled by Thai people- and that may be why you're not getting a response. They may want desperately to hire someone with western experience, but they have to pick their battles with the government. Or they may want to pay a Thai salary with no expat expenses like travel, kid's schools, etc. Or they may have gone through several expats who end up getting lost in Bangkok's bars and show up hungover and late, if at all.

Another thing to keep in mind is that HR here is heavily focused on employment issues with the government, and they really need a Thai person to schmooze properly.

I'd say don't give up, but you'll have much better luck finding an oilfield job if you hang out socially with management level oilfield people. It's a pretty small fraternity here in Thailand (And I'm a worker bee, not management)

Edited by impulse

jobs for farangs in O&G Thailand are getting less by the year, due to nationalisation and the maturity of the industry and unless you have something special on offer skills wise that they need, you will not get a look in, your about 20 years too late, the days of getting a job in Thai O&G just because your a foreigner are long gone.

As stated by "impulse" as someone needs to deal with the goverment, unions in some cases, DOL etc...persons in HR are Thai

I'm currently on a rig in the gulf of thailand and there's not many westerners here at all.

The westerners days are numbered, the thai guys are exceptional workers.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk