UN calls for an end to violence, offers to mediate: Thailand

webfact

POLITICAL VIOLENCE
UN calls for an end to violence, offers to mediate

BANGKOK: -- UN Secretary General Ban Kimoon is ready to assist in any way he can to end the political violence in Thailand.

He called for an immediate end to escalating political violence and urged authorities to bring those responsible to justice.

In a statement issued by his spokesperson in New York, Ban condemned the aggression, which included armed attacks this weekend against antigovernment protests and led to the deaths of three children.

"The Secretary General strongly believes strongly that there is no place for violence by any side in resolving political differences and disputes," his spokesperson said, "Ban is ready to assist in any way possible."

The top UN official has called on all sides to respect human rights and the rule of law, prevent any new attacks and "engage in meaningful dialogue" towards ending the crisis and advancing reform.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-24

UN's Ban Ki Moon condemns the escalation of violence in Thailand

PNPOL570224001000401_24022014_122202.jpg

New York, 24 Feb 2014 - (NNT) Mr. Ban Ki Moon, Secretary General of the United Nation, has condemned the escalation of violence in Thailand over the past week.

He was particularly referring to the recent bomb blast in front of Big-C Department Store on Ratchaprasong Road, resulting in the deaths of 2 young children.

Mr. Ban called for violence from all sides to cease immediately, and for the Government to bring those responsible to justice.

According to the Secretary General, there is no excuse for any side to resort to the use of violence as a means to solve the ongoing political differences and disputes, urging all parties involved to respect human rights and the rule of law, and to prevent further attacks.

He said both sides of the conflict should engage in meaningful dialogue toward ending the crisis and advancing reform.

The Secretary-General also expressed his readiness to assist in any way possible.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-24 footer_n.gif

The UN should not get involved.

If your offer to mediate is accepted by the PTP you may be seen as a tool of the DEM's or the PDRC. That is if you suggest anything the PTP don't agree with. You may be demonized and you may be added to the long list of agencies, organizations and individuals that the PTP want to sue, belittle, intimidate or plain ignore.

Mediate sounds like a first step to reconciliation which in itself raises some rather awkward truths the PTP like to "brush under the carpet" predictable just before projecting blame for the current lack of reconciliation onto the PDRC.

"Uniting for the future" in September, 2013 in which yingluck invited thaksin's old business buddy Tony Blair to be a key note speaker was a step in the right direction. I must say I was dubious to begin with. To my delight though Tony was very benevolent in his approach to the Thai situation and his speech suggested much advice that would build bridges and assist yingluck to no end.

Not one word of his speech was adhered too or built on by the PTP and in fact not long after that they pushed the amnesty bill through which went against everything that Tony Blair suggested was a way to reconciliation.

So the UN can suggest it mediate because that is what the UN have to do. In reality the PTP will not listen and will ignore you. Why? Because they know better.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

Let's see how Surapong responds to this...

1. There is no rule of law in Thailand.

2. When there is no rule of law, there is no democracy.

3. There was no rule of law whatsoever under the PTP administration.

4. The UN is not my father.

The UN should not exist at all, as it is just a money wasting organization which has never resulted in any solution anywhere .

My knowledge of the UN isn't extensive enough to say there has never been a solution anywhere. But I am willing to say that the UN is toothless and a waste of time and money. Just as the League of Nations was before it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

The UN has caused more problems, and has not resolved anything. Korea, has not been resolved for the last 60 years. The UN was the cause of the problems in the middle east, when it gave land, it did not own, to a European religious group and created a state. What has it resolved in Africa, nothing. Than you have Kashmir, Lebanon, Syria, Sudan and many others which have UN security forces, which can not protect themselves let alone the people they are to protest.

Edited by tomross46
  • Like 1

All sounds quite innocuous and well meaning,... but for..

1) Thai's don't respond well to outside "help" or mediation (case in point: Preah Vihear Temple dispute took 50 years to resolve after the initial UN ruling)

2) The UN is gearing up to become the fiercest sabre rattler in history when they become the military strong-arm for the NWO (a matter of "when" and not "if",.. just wait!)

It is to Yingluk's benefit to invite the UN into the picture.

Suthep will more and more be marginalized if the UN proposes a reform committee mediated by the UN AND the UN pushes for quick completion of the elections.

The more Suthep says no, the more he is marginalized.

I actually think the Dems may push Suthep to the side and marginalize him to avoid being totally marginalized to the country/world looking on.

Yingluk, invite the UN in to mediate. It can be beneficial.

• Like 1

I can't recall where the UN has mediated any political disagreements with nations successfully without bringing in UN armed forces to bring all parties to the negotiating table like it did in Bosnia. It sat passively during the Ukraine protests without the same offer that would have seemed more relevant than with Thailand; the Ukraine Parliament came up with its own solutions.

PTP should jump at the offer for "mediation" is reaching a resolution satisfactory to both sides; it's not arbitration. Since Suthep will continue to insist on non-negotiable terms such as immediate abdication of the PM and interim cabinet followed by placement of the interim government into his people's council for an unspecified term before elections are held again, he will immediately refuse or quickly kill negotiations. I think you'll not hear from Suthep on the UN's suggestion; he's too involved in the protests to find time.

The high road response from the caretaker government would be to accept the UNs offer. I can't imagine Suthep taking that offer tough.

Yingluk is pleading with Suthep for talks but he doesn't want them and is happy to see every follow the current path of violence and death

• Like 1

The high road response from the caretaker government would be to accept the UNs offer. I can't imagine Suthep taking that offer tough.

Yingluk is pleading with Suthep for talks but he doesn't want them and is happy to see every follow the current path of violence and death

Yeap, there's the hyperbolic, exaggerated, surreal, bizarro-world argument of the reds against free speech and opposition protest in a nutshell. "Their current path of violence and death." 5555555 You can't make this stuff up.

I think that the UN could possibly create a split between the Dem's position and Suthep. Already, the Dems have shown some sense of openness but Suthep continues to be the anarchist without negotiation. So I encourage the UN to come aboard. 3 day weekend, the parties could literally create the list of potential reforms and put them in front of the nation for review/consideration. You don't need Suthe's "OK" if the Dems can meet somewhere in the middle.

I also think that there is a possibility that Yingluk could agree to step aside from re-election once the Senate/House Elections are completed. Let another PT member take on the PM post. Ultimately, everyone would become a winner in the deal.