Nose looked down at Lao people

Smurkster

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also know that this post is going to elicit responses like "well if you feel this way, why don't you go to Laos" that isn't the point and yes if it was more feasible I would do it in a heartbeat

• Like 2

Sure, I did miss that, the Thais living in Buriram, Sisaket and Surin have a lot of Khmer ancestry, in fact i recently read that in Buriram about 40% could speak Khmer, so with that information I would venture to say that 60-70% are of ethnic Khmers

Sure, I did miss that, the Thais living in Buriram, Sisaket and Surin have a lot of Khmer ancestry, in fact i recently read that in Buriram about 40% could speak Khmer, so with that information I would venture to say that 60-70% are of ethnic Khmers

You can find many only Khmer speaking people for example in Kantharalak, Sisaket province. Then the "Lamduan Festival, held in Sisaket on each second weekend of March.shows a lot about the ancient history.(Khmer, Lao and Sauy).

You'll even find only Khmer speaking people near Uthumphon Phisai/ Sisaket area on the way to Surin.That on the other hand explains so many Cambodian influence.

People in Surin are well -known for chasing elephants in Cambodia. People in the north east only speak "Lao", especially in Sisaket, Ubon, area. which doesn't make them to people from Laos.

http://www.thai.nu/sisaket#.UxLHgeOSzTo

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

You can find many only Khmer speaking people for example in Kantharalak, Sisaket province. Then the "Lamduan Festival, held in Sisaket on each second weekend of March.shows a lot about the ancient history.(Khmer, Lao and Sauy).

You'll even find only Khmer speaking people near Uthumphon Phisai/ Sisaket area on the way to Surin.

People in Surin are well -known for chasing elephants in Cambodia. People in the north east only speak "Lao", which doesn't make them to people from Laos.

http://www.thai.nu/sisaket#.UxLHgeOSzTo

Yes, it doesn't make them "to people from Laos'' but modern day Laos as we know it was a French creation, before that the independent Kingdom of Lan Xang was the fore barer to the modern Lao nation and its territory covered the majority of modern Isan and BOTH sides of the Mekong river...they may not be "Lao proper" in the sense that they live in Laos, but yes they are very much "Lao people" one must remember that only 3 million Lao people live in Laos, but 18 million Lao people live in Thailand. Historians generally agree also that if if weren't for the french taking the right bank of the Mekong river in an agreement with King Chulalongkorn, modern Laos would most likely be part of Modern day Thailand, and independent Laos would not exist

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 2

Many of the people working in unskilled labouring jobs who are from Burma / Laos / Cambodia, they do the jobs which Thai people don't really want to do, or at least not for the money being offered.

In rural Thailand, many of the prostitutes are Lao girls instead of Thai girls, as the Thai girls are away in Phuket/Pattaya with rich foreigners, while the Lao girls entertain farmer Somchai.

As a result of the above, Thai people look down on Burmese / Laotian / Khmer people because they only see the bottom of the barrel, they don't see the educated people.

Also as pointed out previously, often Thai people do look down on most of their neighbours. Which in all fairness, is sorta justified. As compared to it's neighbours, Thailand is a wealthy country with less corruption, more tourists and more sporting achievements than it's neighbours. They have a lot of things to be proud of, after all many of us are living here in Thailand, rather than Laos/Cambodia/Burma for exactly those same reasons.

In general national pride is simply instilled in Thai people from birth, singing your national anthem every day, waiting the flag being raised etc. Also since they primarily watch/read news which is generated in Thailand (Since they'd need to understand English to read international news), they often get very focused on Thai issues, and see things from a Thai perspective rather than a potentially more unbiased international opinion.

At least that's my 2c as to why it might be anyway.

A great post, Sly. Just wondering how this country will be in December 2015 and afterwards. ASEAN will be THE wake-up call.-coffee1.gif

Many of the people working in unskilled labouring jobs who are from Burma / Laos / Cambodia, they do the jobs which Thai people don't really want to do, or at least not for the money being offered.

In rural Thailand, many of the prostitutes are Lao girls instead of Thai girls, as the Thai girls are away in Phuket/Pattaya with rich foreigners, while the Lao girls entertain farmer Somchai.

As a result of the above, Thai people look down on Burmese / Laotian / Khmer people because they only see the bottom of the barrel, they don't see the educated people.

Also as pointed out previously, often Thai people do look down on most of their neighbours. Which in all fairness, is sorta justified. As compared to it's neighbours, Thailand is a wealthy country with less corruption, more tourists and more sporting achievements than it's neighbours. They have a lot of things to be proud of, after all many of us are living here in Thailand, rather than Laos/Cambodia/Burma for exactly those same reasons.

In general national pride is simply instilled in Thai people from birth, singing your national anthem every day, waiting the flag being raised etc. Also since they primarily watch/read news which is generated in Thailand (Since they'd need to understand English to read international news), they often get very focused on Thai issues, and see things from a Thai perspective rather than a potentially more unbiased international opinion.

At least that's my 2c as to why it might be anyway.

A great post, Sly. Just wondering how this country will be in December 2015 and afterwards. ASEAN will be THE wake-up call.-coffee1.gif

Absolutely..most poignantly when they realize their level of education is crap considering that Thailand is THE MOST developed nation in Indochina....I'd be embarrassed, but alas I am not Thai, so it is ultimately not my problem

http://thaishortnews.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/world-economic-forum-findings-confirms-yet-again-thailands-dismal-education-system/

Edited by Smurkster

simply explained:

lao poor

bpama poor

khmen poor

>> poor = i look down on you

farang rich

>> rich = i envy you

domestically same story, rich looking down on poor:

me 450 THB long trousers + 175 THB fake lacoste polo + 100 THB fake crocks, you 95 THB camouflage shorts + 150 THB glock polo + 45 THB flipflops.

me big, you small. me talk, you obey... khrap!

SIMPLY explained for all TV members to understand...

Edited by stickylies
  • Like 1

The Laos are probably a happier people too. Just spend a day watching Laostar tv and then a day watching any Thai music channel. Their music is something other than cheating or a bad life.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Another point I was trying to make and see if anyone had any insights into it. Why with Lao being such a poor country, do the people seem to have a more worldy view on things..( I am not talking about poor farmer Lao') but for instance the Rich "educated" Lao I know are much more familiar with many things international while the rich "educated" not so much

The Laos are probably a happier people too. Just spend a day watching Laostar tv and then a day watching any Thai music channel. Their music is something other than cheating or a bad life.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I feel that in general the Lao seem to be happier people than the Thais are..but in the last year that I have been making visits to Vientiane, I have seen that being gradually less and less the case and the Lao people taking on more Thai like qualities and a little bit less friendly than they had been in the past...

• Like 1

what about falang= Rich= causes jealousy/envy= I will look my nose down at you for that reason

if they look down on you (if you're a rich farang) it's because u don't behave the way they would behave if they were rich.

for starters u should stay away from dark-skinned women (ruler nr 1) + wear a fake lacoste polo (ruler nr 2) and not chiang wifebeater.

Another point I was trying to make and see if anyone had any insights into it. Why with Lao being such a poor country, do the people seem to have a more worldy view on things..( I am not talking about poor farmer Lao') but for instance the Rich "educated" Lao I know are much more familiar with many things international while the rich "educated" not so much

In Lao (at least Vientiane where most of the rich/educated are) the only rich who are also 'educated and worldly' were/are being sent overseas for their education/training. They are a pretty small percentage of the whole population. Not so different in that respect from Thailand and its elite.

Edited by laobali

My View For What It's Worth

I agree that people from different countries back grounds cultures whatever can present themselves in different ways some good some bad some outgoing some shy, now I will put my hand up to say that I have often judged people in not such a kind way because maybe they did not respond to my smile my hi how are you whatever.

But as age wears on the wine gets cheaper I become more mellow I now think we should just take people AS PEOPLE we are all different heaven help us if we were all the same ( could you imagine all males like me handsome funny well dressed just the whole package ) what a shame that would be.

We all have off days sometimes we may not always smile like we normally do but next the day we are fine, spare a thought for those not as fortunate as we expats are we come to live in asian countries and I am sure locals look at us and think rich man we may not be rich but in their eyes we are and I am talking wealth they cannot even understand, we are all in this position sometimes.

Lets accept people for what they are JUST LIKE US not for what they do where they come from we all do what we have to do to survive it's human nature.

So people are people we all laught we all cry we all have our own problems but we are people.

We all BREATH we all BLEED and sometimes we all need a hug no matter how big and tough we are, so next time if someone does not respond to you the way you would have liked STOP think how are they feeling today it won't hurt you to do it it's free and maybe JUST MAYBE you will continue your journey with a smile ON YOUR FACE.

Well the wine is calling the day is winding down it's time to go........I am NOT GETTING any anyone who have posted on this topic it's just my point of view....have a pleasant evening ( and damn I miss my kids )

Where I live in Issan the Thais are of Khmer descent not Laotians. Putting that aside the Thais are accused of looking down on the Laotians, Cambodians, Burmese, Malaysians, Northern, Northeastern, Central, Eastern, Southern, Red Shirts, Yellow Shirts. If I missed any one I'm sorry, Trying not to discriminate.whistling.gif

"They are accused of looking down on...." because they do and it's true. Unfortunately there is no reason for; Thai are so proud of being "Thai" ...but what does this mean??? Thai are lazy, not smart, corrupt...mostly don't speak any other language...and think they are the center of the world, or even stronger: besides T'land there is no world....I feel sorry...but this is "real" untill the contrary will be showed.

In our village the Thai speaking look down on the Lao speaking, and the Lao speaking look down on the Khmer speaking, I know my place.

Farang just below dog but above rat.

Gee, now I know why fiancée is building a house with a kennel out the back and we don't have a dog. (Hope it is rat proof) goof.gif

• Like 2

Where I live in Issan the Thais are of Khmer descent not Laotians. Putting that aside the Thais are accused of looking down on the Laotians, Cambodians, Burmese, Malaysians, Northern, Northeastern, Central, Eastern, Southern, Red Shirts, Yellow Shirts. If I missed any one I'm sorry, Trying not to discriminate.whistling.gif

Many Lao people are also of Khmer decent or Chinese too. And there are Thais who have Burmese or even Malay blood too.

The issue has really nothing to do with ethnicity. Thailand has managed to create a social structure that makes the ability to speak Thai a badge of status along with white skin. The ability to speak polite Thai puts you up a few notches along with extra white skin (helps if you have a Chinese grandfather).

I experienced the linguistic aspect when I visited Issaan with a Lao speaking Westerner. He could be well understood by everyone but no one would speak to him in Lao/IIsaan in public. Isaan people use Thai in their public dealings, especially with people they do not know. Their Lao/Isaan has become a language of intimacy, to be used in the home among family members, with children or lovers/spouses or parents.

When Thais go to Laos, they look down at the fact that the Lao speak Lao all the time and in public.

Of course, the Thais who think that Lao cannot speak any other language are uninformed because any young person and no so young person in Laos where they can receive Thai TV will at least learn to understand Thai. Every kid learns Thai in school too. Many Lao with some education will speak Thai.

• Like 1

• cuz thai people are jealous period... and lao is better at english everything. better girls. they will stay with you if they love you. not like thais.. 6 month and leave for only money...loa women love you for you, not just money, here in thailand its only abt the money. good luck to you all

You're missing one huge factor here: the Thaification of the North East. Google that.

As a few posters have correctly pointed out a large percentage of the Isaan region is not of Lao descent but Khmer. You'll also find many of the Korat population (more so the city dwellers) are of a more central Thai orgin, even though they technically live in Isaan; Thais refer to them as Thai-Korat: there is also a specific dialect. Then you have the central Isaan, think Roi Et, Kalasin, Ubon Ratchathani, etc; where you are more likely to find a purer Lao Descent, although you'll also find many people of mixed Lao and Chinese heritage.

Anyway, those of Lao descent in the region were subject to Thaification, which many critics have more apt terms for that I can't mention here for obvious reasons. Thaification was so strong that even those who still speak Lao and know their ancestry is Laotian have been rewired to conveniently forget the truth and embrace Thaihood to the point that they look down on Lao people.

In an attempt to prevent the development of a sex trade industry similar to that of Thailand, sexual contact between a Lao national and foreigners is illegal unless the two have been married in accordance with Lao family law. In some cases, the Lao government may not recognize a legal marriage certificate from foreign countries, therefore it is prudent to register the marriage with the Lao embassy prior to entering Laos.

Foreigners who enter into a sexual relationship with a Lao national may be interrogated, detained, arrested and/or jailed. The Lao national can be jailed without trial. Lao police have confiscated passports and imposed fines of up to $5000 USD. As an attempt to enforce this rule, foreigners are not permitted to invite Lao nationals of the opposite sex into their hotel rooms.

maybe why you didn't see a red light district