Internet Streaming Radio (uk Commercial Stations)

bulmercke

http://www.kurthanson.com/archive/news/031706/index.asp - INFO.

ALSO -http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/

From the 31st of March, many of the UK's commercial radio stations have restricted live stream access to users from the United Kingdom only. This comes as a response to PPL's announcement that they will be granting radio stations the webcasting rights to stream to audiences within the UK only, or to face additional costs. As a result, visitors from abroad will no longer be able to access these streams.

I used to listen to Classic Gold Digital (Dunstable) and Splash FM (Worthing) via the internet, but as of the last few weeks, both stations are unavailable to me through the internet listening in BKK.

Has anyone else had similar problems with any other stations?

A mean, shameful piece of legislation.

An on-line questionnaire related to this matter: Please complete: http://www.clyde1.com/article.asp?id=13209

Edited by bulmercke

Same problem with Radio 5 live during most live football matches and, surprisingly, BBC world service during Saturday sports report.

Used to be able to get around it using a UK proxy but for the last year I haven't been able to get this to work.

Same problem with Radio 5 live during most live football matches and, surprisingly, BBC world service during Saturday sports report.

Used to be able to get around it using a UK proxy but for the last year I haven't been able to get this to work.

Hi briley - this surprises me about the BBC - and I quote - "the BBC, with unique rights considerations, is not party -- thus is not expected to be affected -- to this PPL license".

Therefore, all BBC radio stations should be unaffected.

With regard to Splash FM - I am able to get a connection through 'live-radio.net' at the moment.

Edited by bulmercke

I now notice that capitol radio has a pop up saying I appear to be outside the UK, but asks me to enter a UK postcode which I do (my mums) this then gives me access, maybe this is a loophole they are exploiting.

However at the end of the day I too agree its a very very sad and mean piece of legislation

bulmercke - BBC says @due to contractual rights the current programme on Radio 4/ world service is not available on the internet'

They have the rights to broadcast live football, F1, forget what else on radio to the UK, but this has now been deemed to mean only the UK, so they can't stream it live on the internet.

Note this is only for the LIVE sports content, all other programmes are streamed.

I beleive they know you are outside the UK if you IP address is outside the UK, but this must cause problems for all AOL users as their IP address is in the US regardless of where they connect from.

I am sure there must be a way around this problem but a year of research has got me nowhere.

So even the BBC is affected!

This new legislation is really going to (and is now) disappoint a hel_l of a lot listeners based outside of the UK. And there must be many, many more who don't realise at this moment in time that their favorite radio station in the UK is going to be off limits some time this year.

Also, it appears that the radio stations themselves are particularly unhappy about this - as they realise that they're goin' to lose ALL their overseas listeners - although these listeners presumably to date have been unable to contribute to the profitability of the stations. Classic Gold Digital is eliciting comments on this matter through their web-site.

BigL radio with Mike Read I also suspect will resist this new legislation as Mike Read who is a major shareholder in the station particularly despises petty officialdom and all the new rules and regulations that seem to plague Britain now.

The legislation has only been in effect two months so I suspect that in the not too distant future a site (or sites) will spring up that circumvent this problem - UK based proxy servers!

This new legislation is really going to (and is now) disappoint a hel_l of a lot listeners based outside of the UK. And there must be many, many more who don't realise at this moment in time that their favorite radio station in the UK is going to be off limits some time this year.

Also, it appears that the radio stations themselves are particularly unhappy about this - as they realise that they're goin' to lose ALL their overseas listeners - although these listeners presumably to date have been unable to contribute to the profitability of the stations. Classic Gold Digital is eliciting comments on this matter through their web-site.

BigL radio with Mike Read I also suspect will resist this new legislation as Mike Read who is a major shareholder in the station particularly despises petty officialdom and all the new rules and regulations that seem to plague Britain now.

The legislation has only been in effect two months so I suspect that in the not too distant future a site (or sites) will spring up that circumvent this problem - UK based proxy servers!

Does anyone know if maybe an Austrailian or American online station will broadcast world cup matches live. Had hoped to have radio 5 on the internet and watch the match on the tv