Thai operator dtac launches LTE with Ericsson

webfact

Thai operator dtac launches LTE with Ericsson

swe_th_dtac.jpg

BANGKOK: -- To meet the needs of a data-hungry new generation of users in densely populated areas, dtac TriNet Co., Ltd, a subsidiary of Thailand’s second-largest mobile operator dtac, has assigned long-time partner Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) to deploy a 4G/LTE network.swe_th_dtac

The 4G/LTE on 2100MHz rollout began in February 2014 and once completed consumers can expect a superior user experience when browsing the internet on their smartphones or downloading movies at much faster speeds. By deploying 4G/LTE on 2100MHz, dtac TriNet will ensure improved network capacity and enhanced performance in Bangkok. dtac will also have a cost-effective network ready for continued data-traffic growth.

Panya Vechbanyongratana, Senior Vice President, Network Operations Division, dtac, says: “Our vision of Internet for All, equality of access to all Thais, is to enable all Thai people to access the internet for a better quality of life. Enhancing customer experience in data services. We are pleased to roll out 4G services and we’re convinced it will lead to many advantages not only for our users, who will enjoy better and faster access to information through our high-speed mobile broadband network. It will also foster entrepreneurship and active development among mobile operators, vendors, application developers and content producers.”

Camilla Vautier, Head of Ericsson Thailand, says: “This confirms our long-standing partnership with dtac and is important, not only for Ericsson but also in terms of realizing the Networked Society. Through this network rollout, we are enabling Thai citizens to access faster mobile broadband services that can enrich their everyday lives.”

Ericsson is the market leader in LTE. Today, 50 percent of the world’s LTE smartphone traffic is served by Ericsson networks, which is more than double the traffic of our closest competitor. More than 180 LTE RAN and Evolved Packet Core networks have been delivered worldwide, of which more than 120 have gone live commercially. Ericsson is present today in all high-traffic LTE markets including the US, Japan, South Korea, Australia and Canada, and has been selected by the top 10 LTE operators, as ranked by LTE subscriptions worldwide.

Source: http://scandasia.com/thai-operator-dtac-launches-lte-with-ericsson/

-- ScandAsia 2014-04-03

Good to see that Thailand is getting LTE, but .. how does LTE really improve the mobile experience?

It might drop the latency and increase the speeds compared to HSPA. 100Mbps speed compared to 42Mbps of current HSPA is an upgrade, but is that really noticeable on mobile device? If the LTE connection is used to provide home network access (tethering), replacing ADSL, then the current high speed quotas are far too low for daily usage.

3GB high speed quota using the 100Mbps full speed connection, is used in less than 11 minutes.

Panya Vechbanyongratana, Senior Vice President, Network Operations Division, dtac, says: “Our vision of Internet for All, equality of access to all Thais, is to enable all Thai people to access the internet for a better quality of life

Well I guess that answers why my Dtac 3G connection goes down 5 times a day, and I have to manually reset it myself at least another 3 times daily.

It is because I'm not Thai

In Australia I have 18 4g WiFi connectors for my mobile team of health professionals. The increase in connection, speed, and reliability over our remaining 63g devices is extreme. Next month when,our last remaining contracts on the 3g ends we will replace all to 4g LTE as it is also called.

Extremely noticeably better

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702727-dtac-trinet-to-kick-off-4g-service-in-april/

There should be an 1800 MHz auction in ~ 6 months; operators plan to deploy LTE on that spectrum. DTAC has the most spectrum (850/1800/2100) so they can "experiment" with LTE now on some of their 2100 MHz (Band 1) spectrum.

While LTE does deliver decent bandwidth at the edge, the primary benefit for operators is increased capacity. I'd expect DTAC to offer this service to their post-paid customers only; and you'll need an LTE/Band 1-compatible device - there's not too many (in relative terms) in the customer base here. LTE can also be demanding on battery consumption. Net-net, it may be~ 5 years or so before LTE is a "requirement" here.

Mobile health professionals here use a bicycle, pen and paper.

They will most probably do what True did:

1- massive marketing campaign extolling the virtues of 4G

2- deploy it initially in Malls and major 'cities' i.e. BKK only for the first 6 months, where you don't need it because wifi is there

3- increase the package rates to match the nouveau craze; they will initially start you with a low tempting offer then ease you into the more expensive tariff

4- throttle down the speed to under 2G after they discover they have not or can't afford to buy more equipments needed to maintain the speed for the million stupid subscribers who do not know any better

5- by the time they iron few wrinkles out of hundreds existing ones, start working on 5G advertising campaign and the cycle would recommence.