Tip'ing In Thailand

Spellbound

I'm always uncertain about what I should do when there is already a service charge added to the bill, usually 10%. That should be enough to i(e)nsure promptness, shouldn't it? But does it go to the house or to the staff?

Could any of the bro's who have been in the service industry in LOS enlighten me on that one please? :o

> I'm always uncertain about what I should do when there is already

> a service charge added to the bill, usually 10%.

Ah, me complete opposite!! When I find a service charge, and/or added VAT to a bill then the decision on any tip becomes real easy!

(No points for guessing what that decision would be. :o )

(And I don't give a *#&&@ about where the service charge goes either! I'm not running their business; any employee remuneration policies they apply is their business, not mine. )

Also if Service Charge and/or VAT is added to a bill where this wasn't made very clear on the menu beforehand then there will be he|| to pay. (i.e. I'm not paying it)

Fortunately this service charge thing is VERY rare where I live (Chiang Mai), I can only think of S&P (which I avoid like the plague anyway) and perhaps some seriously upmarket hotels. (Regent, Sheraton, etc.)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Agreed, Chanchao. The "plus plus" system of so many "good" restaurants in Bkk really adds to the bill. I try to give them a miss whenever possible, and never tip anything on top of the 10 %.

Thanks to the members who agreed with me about tipping in the toilet. Years ago, before I learned not to get upset by such behavior, I nearly had a fight with the toilet fag in the former Suzie Wong bar in Patpong. His specialty was mopping the floor, showing his great devotion to cleanliness and service. Trouble was, he would only mop while you were peeing, usually mopping right over your shoes. Maybe he thought he was giving a shoeshine. Meanwhile, the toilet stall was absolutely filthy, as if to discourage you from ducking in there to escape him.

I leave around 20 bahts in small restaurants if food is OK and staff efficient. If it is a place I go to regularly, I tip only 1 day upon 2.

As a turist , I also tip the maid who cleans the room, not everyday, but at mid-stay and only once, especially if she is not young and does the job properly, amount depending on how long the stay. At the end I would say I tip the same way in any country, taking care the amount is not an offense ( too much or not enough) for both the donnor and the receiver, not a reflexe or an obligation in any case.

Sorry for my English.

But does it go to the house or to the staff?

Could any of the bro's who have been in the service industry in LOS enlighten me on that one please? :o

All the tip in the main box will be shared amongst all staff.