Buying A Live Wire Finder or Wire Detector in Chiang Mai

Beng

I intend to put up some pictures. In order not to nail into a live wire or water pipe, I'm looking for a device that can detect wires inside walls. Any suggestions ?

Hmmm easy to find these in the West but Ive not seen one here as yet. Its an electrical current and metal detector also known as a stud locator. I was going to suggest Global House but I dont recall seeing them there come to think of it. Amorn Electronics dont have them either.

I`ll check out a few places when Im next up town.... there is a place outside the North East corner of the moat, near a fresh market that may have them. I`ll report back once Ive been there

Hmmm easy to find these in the West but Ive not seen one here as yet. Its an electrical current and metal detector also known as a stud locator. I was going to suggest Global House but I dont recall seeing them there come to think of it. Amorn Electronics dont have them either.

I`ll check out a few places when Im next up town.... there is a place outside the North East corner of the moat, near a fresh market that may have them. I`ll report back once Ive been there

Thanks for that

Amorn group in Bangkok has one, cheap Chinese brand "Uni-T".

The shop where I bought one is in the Ban Mor area in the bazar down to the chanal.

It is between is between Thanon Ban Mo and Thanon Atsadang.

If you want a more professional type (like Fluke), there are two shops in Thanon Atsadang;

one is near the corner at the bazar, the other a little down the road.

If you try a local Amorn shop, ask for a "voltage detector".

The shop where I bought one is in the Ban Mor area in the bazar down to the chanal.

If you want a more professional type (like Fluke), there are two shops in Thanon Atsadang;

Cheers, I gonna try an Amorn shop here in CNX

Uni-T and Fluke do make voltage detectors but they are for laying on or very close to a wire to indicate voltage present. They will most likely not indicate lower than 110Vac and will not go to any depth inside a wall. It would not be worth paying extra for a Fluke VoltAlert as neither is designed for the this purpose. What you need is something like the Chinese Mastech 6818 or the American Triplett Fox & Hound but sadly I have not seen either in CNX, except in my toolbox and sadly I am not in CNX at present.

Bunnings in Oz has a Bosch unit that detects different materials and live wire to 50mm. It works very well and for me was worth the price as I am doing a restoration job on our place. It isn't cheap though at $88. B&D do a much cheaper one for about $40 - you can get them on EBay. Also on EBay are a lot of even cheaper options but I'm not sure I would trust them. I would have thought it possible to get something from any decent hardware place in CM.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, after a bit of looking around I have located a stud/electrical current/metal detector. The one I saw is in Home Mall which is a little ways out of town, think Mae Jo and youre getting close. If you need better directions let me know

Its a Bosch bit of kit and they are normally pretty good. Model GMS120

A bit expensive at 3795 baht (Approx. US$116) but still quality is seldom cheap.

Ok, after a bit of looking around I have located a stud/electrical current/metal detector. The one I saw is in Home Mall which is a little ways out of town, think Mae Jo and youre getting close. If you need better directions let me know

Its a Bosch bit of kit and they are normally pretty good. Model GMS120

A bit expensive at 3795 baht (Approx. US$116) but still quality is seldom cheap.

Cheers for that Kiwi