Phuket colleges sign up to give driving lessons

webfact

Phuket colleges sign up to give driving lessons
Suthicha Sirirat

PHUKET: -- The Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) has signed agreements with four colleges who will provide practical lessons on campus for learner-drivers, as part of a national drive to boost driving standards.

The four colleges, Rajabhat University Phuket, Phuket Technical College, Phuket Polytechnic College and Phuket Skill Development Centre, have all agreed to provide lessons, and are ready to start immediately.

To qualify for the new test, applicants must have logged four hours of training at the wheel (or handlebars). At the end of it they will receive a certificate that is valid for six months.

The four hours will be increased incrementally to 15 hours of lessons by 2017.

In addition, a new written test has now been introduced, containing 50 questions – 30 more than the old test – and with a minimum passing score of 90 per cent (50 per cent for the old test).

In the future the Transportation Department will introduce a compulsory two-to-three-hour course on vehicle maintenance, which will later also become part of the driving test.

Teerayut Prasertphol, Director of the PLTO, told The Phuket News that there was a rush of people applying for their tests before the new more stringent version came in today (June 2).

For more information call 076-214930 ext 102, 076-211019 ext 102, or 076-214929

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-colleges-sign-up-to-give-driving-lessons-46609.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-02

PHUKET: -- The Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) has signed agreements with four colleges who will provide practical lessons on campus for learner-drivers, as part of a national drive to boost driving standards.

The four colleges, Rajabhat University Phuket, Phuket Technical College, Phuket Polytechnic College and Phuket Skill Development Centre, have all agreed to provide lessons, and are ready to start immediately.

Can I ask what qualification these trainers will have to teach driving? Are they getting any extra training so they know how to develop safe driving skills in the students? Just because they can teach maths or social science, how does that make them a good enough driver to teach the skills of safe driving?

I am a retired Uk D.O.T. A.D.I. (Dept. of transport approved driving instructor) I had my own driving school in UK.. To suggest that 4 hours tuition is anywhere near adequate is ridiculous. The reason the standard of driving here is so bad, is not because Thais are less capable than anyone else, they are just not taught properly. I would guarantee that .if asked the significance of all the European style road markings and signs 49 out of 50 Thai traffic police would not fully understand. they must firstly introduce provisional licenses and L plates, and provide a highway code book as in Europe

I am a retired Uk D.O.T. A.D.I. (Dept. of transport approved driving instructor) I had my own driving school in UK.. To suggest that 4 hours tuition is anywhere near adequate is ridiculous. The reason the standard of driving here is so bad, is not because Thais are less capable than anyone else, they are just not taught properly. I would guarantee that .if asked the significance of all the European style road markings and signs 49 out of 50 Thai traffic police would not fully understand. they must firstly introduce provisional licenses and L plates, and provide a highway code book as in Europe

Must have been a long time ago QDG. DOT ADI title disappeared in 1990 when the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) took over the ADI registry. DSA is also history as of earlier this year. Title now is DVSA ADI. (Driver and Vehicle Standards Authority).

However quite agree that just 4 hrs on quiet college campus roads is ridiculous.

I think there is an equivalent of a HWC. Its linked to fairly recently in the Thaivisa motoring forum.