Pet Cremation here in Hua Hin or Cha Am?

Pundi6446

First, sorry for your loss. It can be tough to lose a pet that has been with you for a while as they become a member of the family.

My wife just arranged a cremation for our dog at Wat Samo Phrong up in the hills from the Canal Road earlier this month. I don't remember the name of the road but it was the one that splits at a 7/11 immediately after you cross the bridge over the canal. You take the right hand road at the split and go quite a way until it ends at a Wat.

She arranged to have a short ceremony with four monks blessing our dog into his next life and then he was cremated. I think they are one of the few Wats that will do it and since they only have one cremation facility (for humans), it is done the old way on a pyre of wood they prepared beforehand in a field behind the Wat. Our dog passed away in the night and she went there first thing in the morning and was able to arrange the funeral for that same afternoon, which allowed her time to get the necessary items together for the ceremony. We took a small urn and wanted to go collect the ashes the next day, but I guess they didn't fully understand and what we picked up was a few bits of unburned bones and no ash.

My wife spoke with them, since they do this and have done for others, about a more formal cremation facility for pets and they would like to have one but do not have the money for it. She and some friends are actually thinking about trying to raise money to build this for them. We did give a 5k baht donation and the usual package of gifts for each of the 4 monks at the ceremony.

If someone in your family speaks Thai have them go up there and talk to them about arranging a ceremony. I've attached a google map showing Wat Samo Phrong at the left hand side.

post-10734-0-37616100-1403557365_thumb.p

Edited by hhfarang

• 1 year later...

First, sorry for your loss. It can be tough to lose a pet that has been with you for a while as they become a member of the family.

My wife just arranged a cremation for our dog at Wat Samo Phrong up in the hills from the Canal Road earlier this month. I don't remember the name of the road but it was the one that splits at a 7/11 immediately after you cross the bridge over the canal. You take the right hand road at the split and go quite a way until it ends at a Wat.

She arranged to have a short ceremony with four monks blessing our dog into his next life and then he was cremated. I think they are one of the few Wats that will do it and since they only have one cremation facility (for humans), it is done the old way on a pyre of wood they prepared beforehand in a field behind the Wat. Our dog passed away in the night and she went there first thing in the morning and was able to arrange the funeral for that same afternoon, which allowed her time to get the necessary items together for the ceremony. We took a small urn and wanted to go collect the ashes the next day, but I guess they didn't fully understand and what we picked up was a few bits of unburned bones and no ash.

My wife spoke with them, since they do this and have done for others, about a more formal cremation facility for pets and they would like to have one but do not have the money for it. She and some friends are actually thinking about trying to raise money to build this for them. We did give a 5k baht donation and the usual package of gifts for each of the 4 monks at the ceremony.

If someone in your family speaks Thai have them go up there and talk to them about arranging a ceremony. I've attached a google map showing Wat Samo Phrong at the left hand side.

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2014-06-24 04:00:47.png

Where do you get the urn in Hua Hin and has there been any other Wats that do the ceremony in the Cha-am/Hua Hin area? Our dog is not doing well and we do not know if he will even make it past the Cat Scan on Wednesday. Any help from you or anyone else would be appreciated.