Jean-Claude Juncker 'will address UK concerns'

webfact

Jean-Claude Juncker 'will address UK concerns'

LONDON: -- Jean-Claude Juncker has told David Cameron he is "fully committed to finding solutions for the political concerns of the UK", No 10 has said.

The PM called the European Commission president-designate and the pair discussed working together to "make the EU more competitive and more flexible".

"The PM welcomed Mr Juncker's commitment of finding a fair deal for Britain," the No 10 spokesman said.

It comes after Mr Cameron was defeated in an EU vote over the new president.

Mr Cameron tried to block Mr Juncker's appointment by forcing a vote on the selection of the former Luxembourg prime minister, who is seen as a backer of closer political union.

But EU states voted 26-2 to appoint him, in what Mr Cameron described as "a bad day for Europe".

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28081415

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-06-30

solution isnt hard to find: kick em out

Yeah right. And keep all those worthy "contributing" nations from Southern and Eastern Europe. Germany, France and Scandanavian countries can pay.

The EU parliament - now there's a model even Thai politicians must envy,

• Like 2

I say leave the EU. Those who say that we will lose trading access to 500 million people of the EU are misguided. Britain will still be able to access these markets and forge trade deals. It will be harder, yes. and it will take greater expertise, yes, but it is doable.

It takes hard bl##dy work, that's all. The 50% of our export trade to EU countries will not be lost by any means if we decide to leave the club. Sure there may be a temporary dip in trade, but what about putting greater effort into all the other markets worldwide. Part of the problem is that many of our (UK) career politicians have never done a days' work in the real world so don't appear to appreciate what actually makes the world go round. Too many of them have their snouts in the European gravy trough.

There are endless opportunities out there for good quality products from the UK, competitively priced. We don't need to be a member of a trade club to access that business. I am ready to advise as a 30 year hard nosed Exporter but I won't hold my breath.

Indeed Britain originally joined The Common Market.

The politicians had their own agenda and developed it into the EU that exists today, none of which was ever voted for by the people of Britain.

Seems to me it mainly benefits the politicians and those obliged to them for a multitude of jobs.

That is something one can hear again and again. But actually, it was clear right from the beginning of the EU (EEC at the time): the common market is just another step to reach the goal, which is a united Europe.

When Britain joined they did not vote for the common market alone, they voted for the goal as well.

Quote from the Schuman Declaration 09.05.1950:

Europe will not be made all at once, or according to a single plan. It will be built through concrete achievements which first create a de facto solidarity.

I say leave the EU. Those who say that we will lose trading access to 500 million people of the EU are misguided. Britain will still be able to access these markets and forge trade deals. It will be harder, yes. and it will take greater expertise, yes, but it is doable.

It takes hard bl##dy work, that's all. The 50% of our export trade to EU countries will not be lost by any means if we decide to leave the club. Sure there may be a temporary dip in trade, but what about putting greater effort into all the other markets worldwide. Part of the problem is that many of our (UK) career politicians have never done a days' work in the real world so don't appear to appreciate what actually makes the world go round. Too many of them have their snouts in the European gravy trough.

There are endless opportunities out there for good quality products from the UK, competitively priced. We don't need to be a member of a trade club to access that business. I am ready to advise as a 30 year hard nosed Exporter but I won't hold my breath.

Indeed Britain originally joined The Common Market.

The politicians had their own agenda and developed it into the EU that exists today, none of which was ever voted for by the people of Britain.

Seems to me it mainly benefits the politicians and those obliged to them for a multitude of jobs.

That is something one can hear again and again. But actually, it was clear right from the beginning of the EU (EEC at the time): the common market is just another step to reach the goal, which is a united Europe.

When Britain joined they did not vote for the common market alone, they voted for the goal as well.

Quote from the Schuman Declaration 09.05.1950:

Europe will not be made all at once, or according to a single plan. It will be built through concrete achievements which first create a de facto solidarity.

Actually the British people did NOT vote for the EU and was not explained to about the common market becoming a centralised power centre governing all European nations.

In short the British public were railroaded and uninformed as to the depth of that vote. Some tried to tell people of the enormity of it but were rubbished by all those on the gravy train at that time.

I did not follow the news in Britain in 1975. But I remember that there were some doubts in Europe wether the British would confirm their EEC membership. I also remember that the rest of Europe perceived the solid "yes" of that referendum as a yes to Europe and not just yes to a free trade zone. But I was not in Britain at that time, so actually, the majority of the British people may very well have meant something completely different than what other people outside of Britain perceived. Well, the next British referendum will show, I guess.

This demonstrates how out of touch Juncker really is. It is not exclusively about "addressing UK concerns". In the recent EU elections, there was a Europe-wide demonstration of the disatisfaction with Brussels. Part of the difficulty facing the EU now, is it's expansion policy, with a line-up of bankrupt nations wanting to join and push their begging bowls. There are no economically strong nations waiting to join. Sooner or later, the German people will realise that they are being taken for granted by their own politicians. They will come to understand that "Das ist in Ordnung" is no longer acceptable. Of course, so many EU heads of government are fawning on "Mutti", because as the English saying goes, " . . she who pays the piper, calls the tune".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's now much more complicated than in or out, we have a big advantage as not in the Euro, I am in two minds if we should leave or stay, but we need to control the immigration from poor ex Eastern European countries as they are often undercutting our own people and something like a million Poles alone have come to the UK and it's putting a strain on the Hospitals etc. I don't blame them for coming at all, as apart from Germany we are the strongest economy and there not breaking the rules but there seems to be a general feeling from ordinary English people that they are disadvantaged now. Things need to change to restrict incoming cheap labour, but pulling out of the EU opens a whole new can of worms. As usual big business and the political elite win and everyone else seems to not do so well. Hurrah for democracy :-).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand