What Is The Best Business To Do In Cm?

hong

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Internet - ie, as little contact with the locals as possible. :o Probably get slated for that but that's just me. I'm sure if you have bags of patience and a thick skin you'll do wonders with a conventional business venture here. :D

Staying with food how about a garden style BBQ restaurant where you can see and smell your food cooking. I've been looking for a while but yet to locate but you have been forwarned, you'll have to be good. That said maybe there are already a dozen of these type of restaurants in town but none to my (minimal) knowledge.

Agree with both the previous posts. If you're not web-based and going to work in the bricks-and-mortar (or cement and chicken-wire) world here, you're going to need endless amounts of patience, some good contacts, and a few very helpful locals, unless you've got great Thai language (and personal) skills.

If you want to do F&B, find something that hasn't been done well yet (pizza and Mexican seem to be perennial favorites, but check the boards for more), and hit that hole, do it right, and you might do well, but again, see above re: patience.

DD

Miguel's Fresh Mex has lots of customers, most of the time, even though it's not in the best location and only been open a few months.

However, it is probably the best (most authentic) Mexican restaurant in all of South East Asia and very reasonably priced as well.

Miguel's Fresh Mex has lots of customers, most of the time, even though it's not in the best location and only been open a few months.

However, it is probably the best (most authentic) Mexican restaurant in all of South East Asia and very reasonably priced as well.

excuse my ignorance, wheres Miguels?

> The Duke's is in the worst location that I can think of,

Huh.. why? It's easy to reach by public trasport, or if you drive yourself it's not that hard to park nearby. Also tourists can find the place on their way to the TAT office..

I know a place in Kuala-lampur that would put Miguels to shame... Also, Singapore has a couple of good places. Good Mexican food isn't that hard to make.

Unless you have some experience with F&B I'd avoid it like the plague. It's a great way to lose money.

The farangs I know who do make a bit of cash tend to do "non standard" stuff. Exporting garden pots and ornaments for instance. Motor bike tours.

You could try the second hand book business. There's a few shops here already but they all seem to be hobbies of the owners rather than serious businesses.

As for internet cafe's the place is saturated at 15baht an hour the profit margin has to be low. I notice game shops do a 24 hour business, but if they're making money you'll probably find the gangster element in charge and you not welcome.

Edited by lamphun

It would be a blessing if every poster on these sites always remembered to give directions as to where the places mentioned are situated.

Many, many of us are new in town!! Many, many of us have never heard of obvious places like John's, Laughing Leprechaun etc.

It might be a drag, but if you're new in Chiang Mai maybe you don't know where, for example, Thapae Road is. (Thapae Road is the street going eastwards towards the river Ping, from Thapae Gate, which is the gate at the center of the eastern part of the wall surrounding Chiang Mai old city).

> Many, many of us are new in town!! Many, many of us have never

> heard of obvious places like John's, Laughing Leprechaun etc.

I would agree for names of businesses and landmarks.. For streets however, that's what street names and maps are for. And you can't really describe most road locations without using names of other roads and/or landmarks anyway. Like, try explain to me where Nimmanhaemin Road is witout using the words 'Suthep Road' and 'Rincome Intersection'. :o

So, get a map, they're free. And if there's still confusion then just ask for more specific directions.

You could try the second hand book business. There's a few shops here already but they all seem to be hobbies of the owners rather than serious businesses.

Chiang Mai is swamped with the best used book stores in all of South East Asia.

Anyone who claims otherwise knows nothing about books and - probably - not much of anything else. :o

It would be a blessing if every poster on these sites always remembered to give directions as to where the places mentioned are situated.

Many, many of us are new in town!! Many, many of us have never heard of obvious places like John's, Laughing Leprechaun etc.

It might be a drag, but if you're new in Chiang Mai maybe you don't know where, for example, Thapae Road is. (Thapae Road is the street going eastwards towards the river Ping, from Thapae Gate, which is the gate at the center of the eastern part of the wall surrounding Chiang Mai old city).

Although I see where you're coming from, this is a public forum and not the Tourist Authority of Thailand. It isn't a job that makes it obligatory for every poster to elaborate and we also had to learn all this information for ourselves. If you want to know something specific all you need to do is use the 'search' facility at the top of every page or ask, rather than expect every poster to go into fine detail on a generic post. The smiley box is also a nice feature of TV. :D:D:o:D:D

I know a place in Kuala-lampur that would put Miguels to shame... Also, Singapore has a couple of good places. Good Mexican food isn't that hard to make.

Seem wine and dine is the fav business, plus a great deal of creativity in. If you come to Singapore, I'll host you. Thinking of Singapore local delights, for example like BBQ Stingray, Satay, Laksa, Nasi Lemak, Fried Prawn Mee, Chilli Crab, Black Peper Crab, Butter Crab, Fish head Curry, Hainanese Chicken Rice, Roast Duck...etc

Link: http://www.sbestfood.com/foodchoice.html

http://wineanddine.asiaone.com.sg/

I wonder will it be popular here in CM? Maybe to those who has try before..

OK, best in Thailand, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Please mention names Ajarn. No one has brought them up on the Mexican food threads and I want to try these places! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.