Sexual assault suspect beaten to death in Thai prison

webfact

I am not sure if the child sex offenders get a beating from the other inmates but I do know that you can pay the prison staff to give a certain prisoner regular beatings. I know this because a Thai friend of mine's daughter was raped by a guy so after the conviction, the father transferred 2,500 a month to a guard's account and the rapist got the sh**t beaten out oh him twice a week.

• Like 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this is a good news or bad news. I really encourage farang opinion on this one. Honest opinion please.

It's a bit like the old capital punishment debate - given the absence of appropriate punishment for rape offenders in this country, I guess this is good news - IF this guy is guilty.  I am opposed to the death penalty but the idea of 5 years jail for rapists is absurd.  I honestly don't have much faith in the Thai legal system for determining whether these accused are guilty or not.  If they are guilty the penalty makes a joke out of the right for women to be safe.

Don't encourage Suiya he's a well known Troll that was originally Indian and all of a sudden is Thai.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Charged but not yet convicted. This is not conclusive evidence of guilt.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Prasin Nunkaew, 41, was arrested yesterday and charged with raping his stepdaughter on 6 July at a rubber farm in Trang district. Mr. Prasin's wife filed the complaint with police.
That's pretty conclusive to me. Justice was dished out. It's over.

Wow. Scary. This is different from the recent train episode however. The rubber farm suspect kept denying the charges and the case is not yet processed. Could be an angry wife with trumped up charges? Who knows (of course other than the poor girl)? But the train suspect actually confessed and they linked the dna evidence. This is where the idea of immediate death penalty for all rapists needs to be carefully thought out. Due process with solid evidence.
  • Like 1

Can Thaivisa please advise what, if any, follow-up is taking place in this matter?   i.e. . Has an investigaton into his murder resulted in charges against the perpetrators?  If so, who has been charged and with what?  If not, why not? ;  Is any action being contemplated with regard to the conditions that allowed this murder to occur?  Has anything further been disclosed as to what evidence in total exists to support the charge against Mr. Nonkhaew?  Or are his relatives (mother,father,sister, brother, whoever they might be) as well as we, the public, now to just let this matter fade from our memory?  Yesterday';s news!  Until the next time...when the victim apparently might be you or me?  I don't know how such things work in Thailand....I've only lived here for a couple of years....but I have difficulty in believing that Thais are so passive as to allow such an event go unchallenged. Am I just a naive Falang?   If Mr. Nonkhaew were my brother/son/cousin, I would be "screaming" for an enquiry that addressed all of the above issues.  Where are you, the 4th Estate, in this?

• Like 1

Charged but not yet convicted. This is not conclusive evidence of guilt.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Prasin Nunkaew, 41, was arrested yesterday and charged with raping his stepdaughter on 6 July at a rubber farm in Trang district. Mr. Prasin's wife filed the complaint with police.
That's pretty conclusive to me. Justice was dished out. It's over.

Not to beat a dead horse, although it appears from continuing remarks in a similar vein to yours, that I am.....You state:

"Mr.Prasin's wife filed the complaint with police." .......justice was dished out. It's over."  

With respect, Ozemade, I truly hope that you are wrong,  The mere fact that a complaint was filed should not, in a civilized society, translate into an automatic pre-trial conviction and sentence of death!!  Why have courts, judges, prosecutors, defence attorneys?   i.e. Why have a judicial system at all except to set out the offence.  Based upon your remarks, it would appear that I could then "file a complaint" with the police stating that you, Ozemade, sexually assaulted my niece.  Maybe they questioned my niece, we don't know.  If she was, .did she confirm the assault, we don't know?  You claiim your innocence and deny having committed the charge!!  You end up in remand anyway, and are beaten to death, just like Mr. Nonkaew.  Based upon your remarks, it would be proper for everyone to say  "What does it matter?  " ..XXX filed the complaint with police....it's over" 

Ya just gots to be kiddin, Oze!!"

• Like 1

I am not sure if the child sex offenders get a beating from the other inmates but I do know that you can pay the prison staff to give a certain prisoner regular beatings. I know this because a Thai friend of mine's daughter was raped by a guy so after the conviction, the father transferred 2,500 a month to a guard's account and the rapist got the sh**t beaten out oh him twice a week.

That's why justice is a mind boggling game, who can be sure even in case of guilty confession? Perhaps there are reason to raise a fake culprit, justice will never touch the true, can only be close but not in touch. A quick judicial response can mask the true forever, especially in case of maximum charge with death penalty.
The survivors will have their life touched, who will take care of them? A woman raped can go backward 5 min before the crime? No. She will remain with her lifelong idea of the man violence, even in absence of men or violence or both. It is a shame for all humanity because violence will call more violence and this is well known by everyone.
Thais have a trait unique in this world, governed by Christian-Muslim-Jew single God's religions, their faith in harmony and nature's good behaviour. I have heard Muslims to say that brotherhood is in the fighting no matter if the enemy has same father, Christians making war 'for democracy', Jews claiming their own land as written in their books. I never heard similar berserk ideas here.
I wish that Thailand will deploy its system without interferences from the outside world. Oasis.

• 3 weeks later...

Never thought of this....call me Tingtong instead of Tingtau!   I was calling upon the news media....meaning journalist and the like..to cry out for an investigation into blatant issues arising from the murder of Mr. Nunkaew shortly after his arrest and subsequent detention at the Trang Remand Prison.   Couldn't for the life of me understand why there had been no hue and cry from the media.  Well, MK1 in another thread gave the answer.  He replied to a poster:

"Investigative journalism is virtually non-existent or discouraged in Thai because of the liable/defamation laws. Journo’s have to rely on what is fed to them by Police at first until their investigation is complete."

All that is required, therefore, is for the investigation in this case to remain open.  And even if the police do advise that the investigation is closed, what journalist is going to risk being charged with libel/defamation by posing questions should he/she feel that the results are questionable. Scary!!

Guilty or Innocent of the charge against him??  At this point in time, I can only say that I truly hope that he was guilty!  Why?   Well, because my thoughts now turn to the mental well-being of his seven year old step-daughter.  She is a true victim in either case.  Better she be his victim, sad to say.  The alternative, for her, is too horrific to contemplate in this writer's mind!   Unfortunately, because of what occurred in Trang Remand Prison on or about July 10-11th 2014,  we, the public will never know.  Only she and her mother do!

I'm still interested in what will or has resulted from the investigation into his murder.  There was/is an investigation....????....wasn't/isn't there??!!  Hello.....hello!

"Never thought of this....call me Tingtong instead of Tingtau!"

I saw this 'tingtau' word.  What does it mean in comparison to tingtong?  

My autocorrection favors tingtong but redlines tingtau.  It wants to correct it to 

Tsingtao.  Going to that lists only a Chinese brewery.  

So, is this a made-up word that you coined? 

My curious mind would like to know.  

"Pol.Cpt. Methee claimed that the fight was not related to Mr. Prasin's rape charge, but failed to provide an explanation for the beating."

So, he doesn't an explanation, but he knows what didn't cause it ...

Right.

Anyone who think it's right to convict someone before trial (especially in child abuse cases), should see go to see this movie (it's a really good movie):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106476/

Edited by kriswillems

"Never thought of this....call me Tingtong instead of Tingtau!"

I saw this 'tingtau' word.  What does it mean in comparison to tingtong?  

My autocorrection favors tingtong but redlines tingtau.  It wants to correct it to 

Tsingtao.  Going to that lists only a Chinese brewery.  

So, is this a made-up word that you coined? 

My curious mind would like to know.  

555.....Just a nickname, GoNavy..  Did the autocorrection define "tingtong"?  If not, it's a Thai expression (couldn't find in dictionary though, so must be local) for "silly" or "foolish".  My girl friend's nn is Ting and my favourite animals encountered in the ocean are turtles, dolphins and whales....so it was a choice between the Thai words, tau, pla-lo-maa, or pla-waan...naturally tau won!   So if I do a "duuhh!!" thing...just call me "tingtong" instead of "Tingtau". :-)

• Like 1