Used/new Rolex in MBK

Grindting

Ended up buying new in siam paragon

Official rolex shop on the ground floor. Explorer 1 39mm they had 1 in stock, 214,000 retail, they sold it to me at 192,000 incl tax.

Brand new, box, all the paperwork, tags, odds and sods, sized and links put in the box, 2 year warrantee activated on the system for me right there, the works. Definitely worth the uplift. And even got a cup of tea...

This is still cheaper than a used mint explorer 1 39mm in the UK, or close. Lots of ebay sellers have for sale at £3750. So my purchase price of approx £3400 means if I get bored some day in years to come I'll either break even or make a profit.

Shame I can't claim the 12,000 baht VAT refund as we're taking the train out to Cambodia tomorrow!!! Would have been another £250 odd saved. But no bother, still absolutely chuffed with the product and the price

I think you made the right decision. If you are prepared to spend that kind of money anyway, then definitely worth paying the extra to make sure it is 100% genuine.

Just don't go showing your new watch off in Cambodia smile.png

Or for that matter Pattaya the ladyboys would have a field day selling it smile.png

MBK is a place for experts whether you're looking for genuine or fake. You need to have done your homework, know what you're doing and where to go otherwise you might end up paying for something that isn't exactly as it seems. If you are not confident it might just be safer going somewhere else. I'm not saying all goods are dodgy or fake but you're not necessarily going to get a bargain walking in off the BTS. Most of the customers at the high end dealers appeared to be other dealers.

This of course is not restricted to watches and MBK but true for so many things in Thailand - caveat emptor.

Sorry can't resist

The world of Thai women is a place for experts whether you're looking for genuine or fake. You need to have done your homework, know what you're doing and where to go otherwise you might end up paying for something that isn't exactly as it seems. If you are not confident it might just be safer going somewhere else. I'm not saying all goods are dodgy or fake but you're not necessarily going to get a bargain walking in off the BTS. Most of the customers at the high end dealers appeared to be other dealers.

Just for fun

...just what I was alluding to with a little dig at the 'experts' on TV from a so-called expert ?

Edited to get back on topic.

I bought a used Rolex in MBK and it's got a large engraving on the case back. I think it's genuine because it appears to be a Thai Chinese symbol. Should I be worried? ?

Edited by tahaan

I don't think any have claimed to be experts on here regarding wrist watches. Although as I pointed out the guy I stating watches in MBk are fake is obviously wrong, as there are a number of legit resellers.

Never the less, it would be prudent unless you really were an expert (and could open it up to inspect the movement then and there) to have the watch opened up at the rolex service centre (on wireless road) and have it checked for anything untoward (finding out parts have been taken out of a wristwatch to use on something else and or parts replaced with inferior non-factory parts seems to be a common complaint from enthusiasts buying used)

So if one does not do the above, however real they think the watch is from the outside is the real fool. As no one outside Bangkok would touch it if it's been messed about with other than a dealer, who will give you bugger-all for the watch. It is a risk, so better to be prudent and take the proper precautions

Or like me, can't be bothered to do all that as a tourist, and pay the slight uplift for a fresh brand new one with all the trimmings, still £900 under retail in the UK and could still make a profit moving it on (not the intention, I intend to keep this badboy forever, it is a timeless piece)

Edited by Grindting

I think you've actually reaffirmed the point that the average citizen (no play on words intended) would be best advised to avoid MBK if they were shopping for something like a Rolex. It may or may not be that genuine Rolex can be purchased in MBK, that's not the point. The point is that a sensible person wouldn't take the risk of buying one there, simply because MBK is renowned for being the centre of fake everything - a local person or a street savvy long term expat might be the exception.

• 1 month later...

^or someone who is willing to go through the hassle of getting them to open it up and inspect for any foul play, a serious watch expert who will know if anything has been switched out.

There was a great AP RO in solid gold which was to die for., needed a good service to remove scratches and had no papers. He wouldn't budge on the price and also wasn't willing to absolutely confirm entire authenticity in terms of the movement being tampered with at some point. He probably has no clue which is why I think a lot of them are 'sold as seen'. So someone might get lucky, or an expert will snap it up if it's all above board. For me, it's too much money to flush down the pan if it all went pear shaped at the AP service centre and they wanted 3 or 4+ grand to get it up to spec again.

In a market in Chiang Mai 3 years ago, I bought an used Omega Seamaster Automatic, no papers but looked original in any way. Because was just 700THB I took the risk. Works perfectly, and I do not use it very much because it is very heavy. An Omega dealer find out that is fake, a very good copy, but fake. Amazingly, all friends, even some "experts", cannot find indications that it is not real. Are Chinese also faking the papers? Who knows?

I had an expensive fake rolex and a friend of mine who is official rolex dealer in Farangland told me the that he can't see that it is fake, beside that Rolex never put that engine into that housing. But both looked 100% rolex.

In a market in Chiang Mai 3 years ago, I bought an used Omega Seamaster Automatic, no papers but looked original in any way. Because was just 700THB I took the risk. Works perfectly, and I do not use it very much because it is very heavy. An Omega dealer find out that is fake, a very good copy, but fake. Amazingly, all friends, even some "experts", cannot find indications that it is not real. Are Chinese also faking the papers? Who knows?

I had an expensive fake rolex and a friend of mine who is official rolex dealer in Farangland told me the that he can't see that it is fake, beside that Rolex never put that engine into that housing. But both looked 100% rolex.

The movement will still be a piece of shit inside though. It's easy to tell a fake when it's running at 1 BPS like most if not all of them are, even the $400 'good' fakes. Anything that is running at more will be quartz inside. I've never understood why someone would buy a fake, even a 'top end' one. I'd feel ashamed wearing it. Im not ashamed of wearing a £10 casio though. It is what it is

• 1 year later...

I looked at some pateks here, but was not comfortable enough to lay down that sort of cash in an asian shop.

If i do make such a purchase it will be in the states which is my home country or perhaps singapore, just for the piece of mind. At least there i could expect some type of recourse if things did not turn out as expected, also would have credit card purchase protection etc. why probably does not apply to international purchases, of course you can always try to charge back the purchase.

I would venture to say that if you had to return something in thailand it would likely not be honored.

Why? Because they have no way of knowing whether it was you who tampered with the watch after purchase. Makes sense right, it's an expensive item and they have no way of knowing where the watch has been once you took it.

Consider having the watched checked by rolex while still held by the dealer at your expense. Sometimes they will send it in to make the purchase if you agree to a good will deposit so they know your a serious buyer.

Edited by fey