Exchange

8l0ndey

Sorry if this sounds silly, as we have never travelled internationally before. We arrived in Thailand Sunday, with the exchange rate being around 30.25 - 30.05 bht per 1 aud. However as we had just landed and it was Sunday we couldn't exchange our money,

yesterday we went to grand super rich and before we left our condo the exchange was 30.05, but when we arrived it had changed to 29.95 bht per 1 aud so we converted a small amount in hopes it would go up again.

Anyway today it has dropped even further to 29.75 bht per 1 aud. I know a small amount won't make much of a difference but when converting $16,000 it makes a large difference.

Does the exchange rise around the end of the week?

If it's dropped 3 times, is their a high chance it will keep dropping?

Should we wait for it to rise or are the chances of it rising again not very good?

We'll suppose all I can do is hope it goes up, not down further. What makes it change so fast? Is it the days economy earnings which make it fluctuate so quickly? Example on Sunday it was 30.05 as a lot of shops would have been closed, then after Monday the economy is being stimulated again so the value of the bht had risen?

I'm just a little annoyed, I had been planning this trip for months now, and had been watching the rate exchange closely, and the lowest I saw the Aud drop to was 29.99 bht per 1 aud.... Then we arrive in the country and it drops instantly upon our arrival... It's very frustrating lol

Currency fluctuation is somewhat complex and is not tied to the day of the week, as you ask. Many factors play into it, including differences in interest rates between countries, inflation rates, trade deficits, government debt, and overall political stability of a country (among other things). My guess is that the baht is beginning to strengthen a bit now that the shock of the coup is beginning to wane.

The THB/AUD exchange rate as I type this is 29.85, down from your reference point of 30.05 in the OP. That's really not much in the way of fluctuation in the grand scheme of things, barely more than half a percentage point.

Edited by Diplomatico

Sods law says if you change it all now the rate will go up and if you leave it till later the rate will go down. Best thing you can do is shop around.

The rate can vary quite a bit from place to place.

I've been watching this rate for weeks and it was last above 30 around 2 to 3 weeks ago. Since then it's even around 29.8. This week it has been around 29.7. Rates don't change on Sundays (I think). Make sure when checking the rates that you read the correct one. Some kiosks reverse the order and show buy before sell or vice versa. Others show a travellers cheques rate next to the notes rate. I made that mistake

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Look, dude, your going to lose some money in the exchange no matter what. You make up for it in the relatively low cost of goods and services here in Thailand.

I wouldn't spend my holiday time running from place to place comparing rates and fretting over a few dollars.

'nuff said

~

Look, dude, your going to lose some money in the exchange no matter what. You make up for it in the relatively low cost of goods and services here in Thailand.

I wouldn't spend my holiday time running from place to place comparing rates and fretting over a few dollars.

'nuff said

~

Agree wouldn't waste too much time on hols checking out rates. There's plenty places on Suk to compare without wasting too much time but looking around can save some money. 16,000 x 0.5 bht = 8,000, quite a lot of money. People on here quibble about getting ripped off for 100 bht.

ToneG