Taxi drivers likely refuse to turn on meters in 8 spots across Bangkok

webfact

This makes me happy I have been refused many times at MBK because they are trolling for Farang vacationers so they can over charge

Stick it to the cabbies

Its illegal to refuse passengers. take his taxi number and his identification badge number and report them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 years ago I took a taxi from Silom to Thewet. When we left, the driver turned on the meter, but during a moment of inattention while driving, he has turned off the meter. Upon arrival, I had to pay 600 baht. It was a good lesson.

Almost all taxi's overcharge that are parked in front of a hotel. They also have to pay upfront money to join thhe taxi gang in front of the hotel, plus the hotel gets normally 500 Baht per taxi from the driver per month. Sukhumvit is a prime example.

It does have a lot to do with the hotel though, I checked out of a good Sukhumvit Rd hotel the other week. Reception asked if I needed taxi, I said yes but they must use the meter. The doorman proceeded to go to the drive entrance and flag down passing taxi's, completely ignoring the 3 parked outside.

It took him 4 taxi's to finally get 1 to agree to the destination and using the meter.

Who would want to be a taxi driver in Bangkok though? Stuck in traffic jams all day, it must be excruciating for them.

I wouldn't pick up a passenger if they wanted to take me right back into an area where I'd just spent 2 hours trying to get out of, all for like 40 baht! No <deleted> way.

Bums who thought it would be more lucrative than being a drunk or thief in Buriram.

Soi 11 is worst than any place in BKK. I volunteer to be one of the UNDERCOVER FOREIGN OPERATIVES as I am sure every member of TVF would also. Let us help fix all the broken parts. We live here and could be of so much help.

agree with you there mate tried about 5 taxis last week in soi 11 the end i gave up, and paid the asking price as i had a plane to catch

The question is, how long will this enforcement of the rules last? Just today I saw a motorbike taxi with a high school girl on the back run through a red light dodging traffic at a major BKK intersection, and the policeman there did nothing .... nothing ... and he saw it!

I have faith in the intentions of the military government but little faith in the police.

Last night saw police and soldiers together, driving motorbikes, police without helmets and the soldiers with "combat" helmets...good intentions or propaganda?

I must almost always try and get in at one of those 8 places then..............

if the POLICE REALLY want to make arrest's let them hang around soi Nana by the dynasty hotel and the nana hotel. in fact the whole street! the taxi drivers know that the "tourists" have to go to the airport and after being turned down three or fout times all they want to do is get out of dodge!

This makes me happy I have been refused many times at MBK because they are trolling for Farang vacationers so they can over charge

Stick it to the cabbies

Its illegal to refuse passengers. take his taxi number and his identification badge number and report them.

to whom? evr tried to call the Thai police hot line and get anyone who speaks english? try it sometime!

The Taxi's on Koh Samui Never use the meters... When is someone coming to Samui to put a Stop to the Taxi Mafia????

Stop them in Suthep's backyard?

Samui is Not Sutheps back yard and Suthep has nothing to do with the Mafia Taxi's on samui

This is very good to hear as I have been the victum of cab driver turning on meter at airport and turn it off as soon as they leave the area and how about stopping them from carrying guns and other weapons.

Edited by keith7777

Almost all taxi's overcharge that are parked in front of a hotel. They also have to pay upfront money to join thhe taxi gang in front of the hotel, plus the hotel gets normally 500 Baht per taxi from the driver per month. Sukhumvit is a prime example.

Though to be fair some hotels have signs up saying that any taxis parked on the road outside have absolutely nothing to do with the hotel.

My Thai GF was telling one of these Taxis from MBK tonight that I was reading online that the military where going to stop Taxis not using the meter outside MBK and others and he burst out in laughter and said Taxi Don't care police military.

He was using the meter but only as my GF stopped him and I said I can take the taxis number and call the number to complain and he had a great laugh again.cheesy.gif

Stick it to the cabbies

to whom? evr tried to call the Thai police hot line and get anyone who speaks english? try it sometime!

Phd Thai di, ever thought of learning Thai

Edited by Thongkorn

Has anyone as a passenger tried to press the button themselves to turn on the meter?

I would think that interfering with anything to do with the operation of the taxi might cause problems. best to establish whether the meter will be used before accepting the ride. always leave the door ajar until you are comfortable with the driver's intentions.

Most people prefer to sit in the rear seats so turning the meter on is not an option for the passenger.

Some violent taxi drivers have killed people. Better to lose face than lose your face.

• Like 1

The only time i ever had trouble with an unmetered taxi was day 1, carrying a massive snowboard bag (dont ask) and a couple of other bags, arriving in bangkok after midnight, having no idea where i was going, and having no other realistic option except sucking up the bullshit at the airport.

I paid 700 baht. I gave him a 100 extra as a tip. I just wanted to get in my hotel. Plus it was funny money back then. &lt;deleted&gt;, i spent almost 400 i think it was on an atrocious fake Paul Smith belt from one of the market hawkers in those first naive weeks.

Since that day though, every taxi driver bar none has put the meter on at my request. Id always ask them beforehand though and if they said no, id just wait for the next taxi.

• 1 month later...