Import Tax

amazedat

I am considering buying a 'luxury' watch from a USA website. Does anyone know what percentage of tax will be loaded on the declared cost when the item arrives in Thailand? To the best of my knowledge this particular model is not available here as it was part of a limited edition.

I am considering buying a 'luxury' watch from a USA website. Does anyone know what percentage of tax will be loaded on the declared cost when the item arrives in Thailand? To the best of my knowledge this particular model is not available here as it was part of a limited edition.

This is the website for Thai Customs:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/indexEng.jsp

Although the value of your watch will be defined by Thai Customs - not by how much it's insured for, or even if you produce a receipt showing how much you paid for it.

They are likely to estimate a value much higher than you paid.

If I recall correctly, tax on most luxury watches is 5%; however given size would make more sense to get someone to bring it over for you and that would ensure delivery; my father's rolex was flogged in the mail; I think they know it is an easy item to grab.

Out of interest, is it new or second hand? USA is not really renowned as the greatest place to buy new luxury watches; you know that you can negotiate heavily on most brands here, except for Rolex which tends to be a bit stricter. Singapore is a popular place for buying luxury watches too; if you got in touch with Hourglass, Cortina Watches or Pendulum they should be able to source it for you; they recently were holding a watch event with limited edition pieces from the boutique watch manufacturers which were numbered in the 10s or 20s worldwide, rather than the more dodgy Patek style limited editions of which there are a mere 5,000 :-)

Chances are you will be heavily charged on duty on a high assessed price; in which case it may be worth it to wait for someone coming this way to bring it over for you.

My wife left her NZD$40 watch in NZ on a trip home. Her mum mailed it up..Dum dum....wrong move thanks mum.

Customs wanted 1000 baht for the duties. (ie NZD$40). We told the courier company to shove the customs bill where the sun don't shine.

Dealing with Thai customs is pain in the ass, once they wanted to charge me 500USD for shipment of less then 500USD...ended up paying 100USD...The other time paid nothing for the same kind of shipment, what you say? Amazing Thailand !