Any Ideas ?

properperson

Hope someone can help me....

Have my desktop connected to my tv (via HDMI lead) for a year or so - no problems...

Have today moved house, connected the hdmi lead into the TV and the resolution has gone to pot...

ive right clicked onto properties and monitor 1 shows 4 colours andwont allow me to move the slider to change the resolution - ive clicked on monitor 2 and i can adjust the colours to 32 and slide the resolution, but it doesnt then acknowledge it..

any ideas ?

i tried to click on the CCC but the resolution is so bad, i can hardly see it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm no expert, but assuming your video settings etc on your laptop are unchanged, then it sounds like there must be a compatibility issue with the different TV.

Try cruising around the TV video settings and see if there are any resolution settings etc that can be applied to the HDMI when connected to a PC.

Otherwise, look at the video settings on your laptop - you can change the video image settings in Control Panel. Not sure what needs to be altered but your video card should have a range of options for setting up and altering a remote screen/TV.

I was going to say it might be a driver issue, but not sure where you'd start.

What make of laptop/TV?

its a compaq desktop...was working perfectly with mt samsung LED (and samsung Plasma before)..

The one in the new house is a sony plasma....

like i said earlier, right click onto properties i cant adjust the resolution / colour (currently shows 4 !) when i go onto number 2 monitor, i can adjust the resolution and the colours to 32, but when i press ok, it just foes back to number 1 monitor....

Edited by properperson

Make sure the TV's input you connect your pc to is set to something like "PC DISPLAY" - it sorts out overscan and resolution problems for TV's that have it.

Also, is the Sony a lower physical resolution than your old tv ? 720p HD Ready perhaps? As opposed to Full HD 1080p....

Make sure the TV's input you connect your pc to is set to something like "PC DISPLAY" - it sorts out overscan and resolution problems for TV's that have it.

Also, is the Sony a lower physical resolution than your old tv ? 720p HD Ready perhaps? As opposed to Full HD 1080p....

the settings say hdmi whick is what i clicked on..

yes the new tv isnt as swanky as the old one (last one was samsung series 8 - the new tv is a 2 yr old sony plasma - that said, i had a 3 yr old samsung plasma before and the computer played through it, no problem)..

the plot thickens.....

rebooted...

get message - screen resolution is very low...

then another...

CCC is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics driver..

please up date your amd graphics driver or enable your amd adaptor usings the displays manager...

because the resolution is so low, cant see much on the ccc display..

any ideas on how to increasde the resolution on the display settings ? thats certainly got to help...

at the moment its showing 4 bit colours, whereas before it was 32..

Oh good lord, ATI/AMD.

I had a problem on my HTPC where it was running at underscan mode - had to hack the registry in the end.

And regarding my comment above about "PC DISPLAY" on the input, it does not matter if hdmi/dvi whatever, it's the mode of the TV - like movie/sport/pc/game

What model Sony TV?

Does your Desktop PC have TWO physical Video Display outputs? Only ONE HDMI port?

The way the HDMI specifications are written, the HDMI source device reads the E-EDID data of the HDMI sink device (destination) to discover what audio/video formats it supports.

Some TVs don't work well with PC HDMI video output and require special PC drivers (if available) be installed to display.

Also, there may be an issue with the TV's HDMI port memorized configuration. Resetting the TV may help.

Instructions
  1. Turn on the television and disconnect all input devices. Power down the television and leave it off for at least 5 minutes. This creates a "soft clear" for the system, allowing hardware to reset if the HDMI isn't working.
  2. Turn on the TV and wait for it to initialize before trying to use the HDMI connection again.
    Hold the "Up" direction arrow on the remote, and press "Power" on the television. This executes a hardware reset on the TV, which loses your display and channel settings but should reset HDMI settings as well.
  3. Wait for the TV to initialize again, then test the HDMI cable. If neither method works, the mainboard may be faulty; this requires the attention of the manufacturer. This type of hardware error is covered under your warranty.

Also... plucked and plundered from a popular Aussie forum:

[...] I have tried fiddling with every possible resolution in both the graphics card settings and the windows settings but to no avail. I am now brought to believe that the graphics card is not up to scratch for outputting HD quality of this size, but before I give up all hope, can anyone offer any optimism or even a solution? Thanks in advance :)

-- -- -- --

My apologies to everyone but the problem has now been solved.

As [two previous posters] assumed it was the TV settings. I find it quite disturbing to think the TV's auto settings aren't "the best" settings.
For anyone stumbling upon this forum in the future, go to the Sony Bravia's home menu, then Settings and Display. Click on Picture Mode and change to "Custom". Worked for me anyway :)