Eight dead after Florida shooting

webfact

Florida shooting claims eight lives in Bell, Gilchrist County

SIX children and two adults have reportedly been shot dead at a home in a Florida city in another mass shooting in the United States.

The Gainseville Sun website is reporting sources who say the shootings occurred north of the town of Bell on Thursday local time.

No further details involving the deaths were immediately available, but Gilchrist County Sheriff Robert Schultz has scheduled a news conference for 8pm Thursday (10am AEST).

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/florida-shooting-claims-eight-lives-in-bell-gilchrist-county/story-fnh81jut-1227063776445

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-09-19

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Florida man kills his daughter and her six children

(BBC) A grandfather shot dead his daughter and her six children before taking his own life at a home in Bell, Florida, police have said.

The children range in age from 3 months to 10 years old, said Sheriff Robert Schultz of Gilchrist County Police.

The authorities have identified the gunman as Don Charles Spirit, 51.

Police have said they received a call from Spirit making threats to his family and himself before he committed suicide.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29266609

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-19

No new news here these events will continue to happen. The NRA will insist "guns don't kill people, people kill people."

Just a right of Americans to kill Americans and then face the justice system.

No gun control would prevent this kind of insanity. When children are the victims, he could have used other equally effective methods to end their lives. Very sad. As a US citizen, I'm a strong believer in gun ownership, but also a strong believer in the regulation of firearms so that only defensive firearms are sold, with sales only to people who pass stringent background checks. I think gun education and target practice are worthy investments. I enjoyed going to police firing ranges growing up, as it was similar to archery practice. No reason to bash the US or its people. It's just something that needs to be solved in the political process, like immigration. But, good luck with that, as the media has intensified the voices of extremists on both sides of these issues.

However I am sure you will agree that any mention of controls no matter how minor is met with the response, "they are trying to take our guns away". Go to Alex Jones's channel and I daresay by now he is already claiming it is a plot by Obama to take the guns away.

Idiotic statement from the NRA "We need a good guy with a gun to kill the bad guy with a gun"

Question to the NRA - Where was the good guy on this occasion? Seems unfortunately the good guy and bad guy are not on the same page.

When will the yanks ever learn with their "Rights to defend ourselves" from your own people? when will these senseless killings end when will you ever end this "Gun Culture"?

No gun control would prevent this kind of insanity. When children are the victims, he could have used other equally effective methods to end their lives. Very sad. As a US citizen, I'm a strong believer in gun ownership, but also a strong believer in the regulation of firearms so that only defensive firearms are sold, with sales only to people who pass stringent background checks. I think gun education and target practice are worthy investments. I enjoyed going to police firing ranges growing up, as it was similar to archery practice. No reason to bash the US or its people. It's just something that needs to be solved in the political process, like immigration. But, good luck with that, as the media has intensified the voices of extremists on both sides of these issues.

However I am sure you will agree that any mention of controls no matter how minor is met with the response, "they are trying to take our guns away". Go to Alex Jones's channel and I daresay by now he is already claiming it is a plot by Obama to take the guns away.

Alex Jones seems to be a real nut job:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Jones_%28radio_host%29

Alexander Emerick "Alex" Jones (born February 11, 1974) is an American radio host, author, conspiracy theorist,[1][2] and documentary filmmaker.[3] His syndicated news/talk show The Alex Jones Show, based in Austin, Texas, airs via the Genesis Communications Network on 118 AM and FM radio stations[4] and WWCR Radio shortwave [5] across the United States, and on the Internet. His websites include Infowars.com and PrisonPlanet.com.[6][7]

Jones has been the center of many controversies, including his controversial statements about gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.[8] He has accused the U.S. government of being involved in the Oklahoma City bombing,[9] the September 11 attacks[10] and the filming of fake Moon landings to hide NASA's secret technology.[11][12] He believes that government and big business have colluded to create a New World Order through "manufactured economic crises, sophisticated surveillance tech and—above all—inside-job terror attacks that fuel exploitable hysteria".[13] Jones describes himself as a libertarian and a paleoconservative.

Another mass shooting in the U.S tell the poor innocent children murder that the U.S doesn't need gun control. How many more innocent children have to die before the U.S grows up and implements strict gun control.

Guns don't kill people,,,,,,Same with Cars, Knives ,Axes,Pencil, Mop bucket,Plastic fork,BBQ skewer,,,,,It's the Idiots that uses them,,,,Do we take all the Items what people use everyday Away????

• Like 2

The focus here is on a nut case who went postal on his family, he could have done it with anything really, the gun for once isn't the issue here, get off your soapboxes.

Oz

Oz you are right ! I own five guns for over 40 years and they have not even killed an animal must less a human. Doctors and hammers kill more people than guns and then there are knifes.

I learned to use fire arms in the military and enjoy putting holes in the middle of a paper target. None of mine are assault weapons.

Yet another tragedy. Please don't let this turn into a US bashing thread.

Why is pointing out the stupidity of what they bring upon themselves "bashing"? The truth hurts, but it is still the truth.

I believe the original commentator was talking about singling out the US, when unfortunately these types of tragedies occur in all countries and cultures around the globe. With higher degrees of press freedom and larger populations, we may think they are more frequent in one place than another, but the reality is the human brain is equally fragile and can snap without preference to race, culture, social status or country borders.

No one is 100% immune or less likely to experience such tragedies than anyone else. And as far as the gun being the instrument of his insanity, it could just as easily been hooking up a pipe to the hose of his cars exhaust and sealing the windows of the house to have the same results.

• Like 1

Oh I get it , guns are the only way to kill people, so we ban them and know they use knives, oh we ban that and they start using forks!.... It's not the instrument of murder, it is who commits the murder

It's not the instrument of murder, it is who commits the murder

Yes but only if the instrument is available.

• Like 2

Oh I get it , guns are the only way to kill people, so we ban them and know they use knives, oh we ban that and they start using forks!.... It's not the instrument of murder, it is who commits the murder

I think your reply really sum up the situation in the USA and why it is impossible to have a sensible debate. I don't think I have ever read one post on here which has ever suggested banning guns. There have been many that have proposed sensible controls but the debate never gets of the starting block because of that sort of response.

Edited by pitrevie
  • Like 2

Another mass shooting in the U.S tell the poor innocent children murder that the U.S doesn't need gun control. How many more innocent children have to die before the U.S grows up and implements strict gun control.

Guns don't kill people,,,,,,Same with Cars, Knives ,Axes,Pencil, Mop bucket,Plastic fork,BBQ skewer,,,,,It's the Idiots that uses them,,,,Do we take all the Items what people use everyday Away????

Nuclear bombs and other weapons of mass destruction don't kill people, it's the idiots who use them, right? Every country... wait, every individual should be able to get those easily to protect themselves then, because, you know, bad people may get them too! facepalm.gif

Edited by GuyL

I wish I could view the world in such a simplistic way

• Like 1

The focus here is on a nut case who went postal on his family, he could have done it with anything really, the gun for once isn't the issue here, get off your soapboxes.

Oz

Oz you are right ! I own five guns for over 40 years and they have not even killed an animal must less a human. Doctors and hammers kill more people than guns and then there are knifes.

I learned to use fire arms in the military and enjoy putting holes in the middle of a paper target. None of mine are assault weapons.

All the other objects and tools that can be used to kill people have other primary purposes.

Guns have one purpose--to punch holes through things.

• Like 2

Didn't Australia have a recent mass shooting just last week?

http://www.news.com.au/national/lockhart-shooting-wagga-wagga-community-reeling-after-hunt-family-tragedy/story-fncynjr2-1227053811861

So, how is strict gun control working out down there?

Personally I think this incident is a reason to have guns for protection. If you disagree, then that's your opinion. You probably also beleive security guards should not have guns either.

What laws countries want to implement is up to them, but I've never seen America tell other countries what their gun laws should be, so why should American make guns laws based on what you want?

I remember when i lived in Nevada -one of the more friendly gun ownership states - and owned a firearm, there was very little aggressive behaviour and definitely no violence that i ever saw. This was unlike my own experience in Sydney when every weekend seemed like drunken fight night in the town center. So maybe strict gun laws work well in Australia because people are naturally agressive, but doesn't mean that eslewhere people can't responsibly own firearms

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

http://www.news.com.au/national/lockhart-shooting-wagga-wagga-community-reeling-after-hunt-family-tragedy/story-fncynjr2-1227053811861

Personally I think this incident is a reason to have guns for protection. If you disagree, then that's your opinion. You probably also beleive security guards should not have guns either.

What laws countries want to implement is up to them, but I've never seen America tell other countries what their gun laws should be, so why should American make guns laws based on what you want?

I remember when i lived in Nevada -one of the more friendly gun ownership states - and owned a firearm, there was very little aggressive behaviour and definitely no violence that i ever saw. This was unlike my own experience in Sydney when every weekend seemed like drunken fight night in the town center. So maybe strict gun laws work well in Australia because people are naturally agressive, but doesn't mean that eslewhere people can't responsibly own firearms

Security guards don't carry firearms (Cash in Transit excepted) Australians aren't Naturally Aggressive and thousands of Aussies own firearms, people aren't forbidden from owning a gun. Australia has just implements stricter provisions. Background checks, classes, licences and a legitimate reason for requiring a gun. Protection is not a legitimate reason.

• Like 2

We need knife control! http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761488-bangkok-teen-boy-stabbed-to-death-for-not-helping-out-in-kitchen/?utm_source=newsletter-20140919-0738&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

We need hoe control!! http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761604-koh-tao-killers-will-be-caught/?utm_source=newsletter-20140919-0738&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

We need bath tub control!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates

According to this article....http://thoughtcatalog.com/jim-goad/2014/04/20-moms-who-killed-their-kids/

We need:

1 - rope control

2 - microwave control

3 - plastic bag control

4 - gun control

5 - more rope control

6 - bare hands control

7 - more knife control

8 - guns again

9 - more knife control

10 - toy airplane control

11 - more knife control

12 - more bar hands control

13 - gun control

14 - gasoline & matches control

15 - more knife control

18 - car control

19 - pillow/plastic bag/bare hands control

20 - bath tub control (referenced above already)

85% of those last 20 did NOT involve a gun, but when a gun IS used, AAAHHHHH! We have to ban guns!!!!!

Why do you want to ban them?

Security guards don't carry firearms (Cash in Transit excepted) Australians aren't Naturally Aggressive and thousands of Aussies own firearms, people aren't forbidden from owning a gun. Australia has just implements stricter provisions. Background checks, classes, licences and a legitimate reason for requiring a gun. Protection is not a legitimate reason.

incidentally, I just read that the Florida shooter was a convicted felon - not legally allowed to possess any firearm. So please tell me how gun control would have worked when the guy was already forbidden to own them?

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

We need knife control! http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761488-bangkok-teen-boy-stabbed-to-death-for-not-helping-out-in-kitchen/?utm_source=newsletter-20140919-0738&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

We need hoe control!! http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761604-koh-tao-killers-will-be-caught/?utm_source=newsletter-20140919-0738&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

We need bath tub control!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Yates

According to this article....http://thoughtcatalog.com/jim-goad/2014/04/20-moms-who-killed-their-kids/

We need:

1 - rope control

2 - microwave control

3 - plastic bag control

4 - gun control

5 - more rope control

6 - bare hands control

7 - more knife control

8 - guns again

9 - more knife control

10 - toy airplane control

11 - more knife control

12 - more bar hands control

13 - gun control

14 - gasoline & matches control

15 - more knife control

18 - car control

19 - pillow/plastic bag/bare hands control

20 - bath tub control (referenced above already)

85% of those last 20 did NOT involve a gun, but when a gun IS used, AAAHHHHH! We have to ban guns!!!!!

Why do you want to ban them?

I was being sarcastic shock1.gif

• Like 1

incidentally, I just read that the Florida shooter was a convicted felon - not legally allowed to possess any firearm. So please tell me how gun control would have worked when the guy was already forbidden to own them?

At least, gun control might have prevented the tragic events mentioned in one of my previous posts: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/761445-56-year-old-man-shot-5-times-in-restaurant-confrontation/#entry8405986

I don't often read news about 'normal' individuals (not involved professionaly in law enforcement, army, security, etc.) killing in self-defence a criminal who attacked them, but I have noticed that mass killings and lethal accidents with guns committed by previously non-convicted individuals are (apparently) much more frequent, especially in countries where there is no effective gun control in place.

Edited by GuyL