Thai taxi drivers who reject passengers are susceptible to face legal action

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a German citizen, grew up in Europe my entire life basically. You got me wrong- I do speak basic Thai. I've mentioned it clearly.

But you just stated " I'm really surprised and appalled. I'm actually a Thai native who speaks basic Thai. "... Uh nevermind blink.png

I don't really get your point? I was answering Madcrap.

I was born in Thailand but raised in Europe. Still that does make me a native Thai, because I was born here, have Thai blood and roots. I'm not one of these half-breeds.

Last but not least, I pretty much look like one, like "regular Thai" one with gold-brownish skin. I seldom get the reaction that I'm Farang, for the obvious reason because I'm not white.

The "surprised and appalled" thing was specifically about the peoples experience with the local Taxis. So ethnically, yes, I am Southeast Asian, Thai to be precise who holds German citizenship. Anything more to add to expand your worldview?

Face legal action... bla bla bla.

Just tear up their taxi license and impound the car.

Do this on every corner for a few days and I guarantee this problem will go away right quick!

And once you stop after a few days, I guarantee it'll be back again right quick.

The simple fact is that crackdowns don't work, or at least they only work for the period of the crackdown and they themselves are getting shorter and shorter.

What's needed is consistent application of laws across the board ......for ever. If you need more police, get them. If you need less corrupt police, pay them properly. If you need better police, train them properly.

The money spent will be worth it if you have a properly policed environment, every day of the year. It doesn't mean crime will go away, but it will be controlled.

It'll never happen of course.

Occasionally I meet a taxi driver who will not go to where I request....maybe 5 to 10 % of them

They either say the traffic is too heavy or they have to return the taxi.

I try not to let it bother me while sometimes I remember to say to the driver:

"You are a rich person"......."You do not need money"....You do not need the business"?????

Many years ago my GF told me if you get into a cab and tell the driver where to go and then he refuses to go after you are in the cab and still refuses to go, even if you are asking politely, then get out of the cab but while you are getting out of the cab, say to the cab driver:

I understand ...you are from ISARN...correct?

Kow Jai Loaw,.... Ben Khoon ISARN ...Chai My?

I'm a German citizen, grew up in Europe my entire life basically. You got me wrong- I do speak basic Thai. I've mentioned it clearly.

But you just stated " I'm really surprised and appalled. I'm actually a Thai native who speaks basic Thai. "... Uh nevermind blink.png

I don't really get your point? I was answering Madcrap.

I was born in Thailand but raised in Europe. Still that does make me a native Thai, because I was born here, have Thai blood and roots. I'm not one of these half-breeds.

Last but not least, I pretty much look like one, like "regular Thai" one with gold-brownish skin. I seldom get the reaction that I'm Farang, for the obvious reason because I'm not white.

The "surprised and appalled" thing was specifically about the peoples experience with the local Taxis. So ethnically, yes, I am Southeast Asian, Thai to be precise who holds German citizenship. Anything more to add to expand your worldview?

I was just puzzled 'bout the whole chain of discussion, you just stated of being a native Thai and then in the next reply not being one - no disrespect meant, just the point eluded me to go sort of "whaaat?" laugh.png

I'm sick and tired of these announcements. They sure talk the talk!

Take a close look at the drivers' permits and you will see these are often for someone else...

A friend got ripped off by a rogue taxi at Suvarnabhumi which refused to turn on the meter. We got the car's number and - you guessed it - nothing, nada.

The driver was a peculiar chap - very short etc.

The same thing is's customary at schools. Long meetings, grand proclamations and then no action.

Until Taxis are brought under control of a central Taxi Control board you will be whistling Dixie until they do, with rag tag rules, no penalties, mafia influence, these so called taxi drivers will just do what they like, as for facing legal action just when are they going to face court in 10 years time, get realistic chaps the Taxi Drivers lot is not a happy one.coffee1.gif .

In oz, most of the regulation of taxi drivers is done by the taxi co-operatives who enforce standards of dress and behaviour in order to protect their business. Refusing a fare would normally be reported to the co-op, and the driver would have an mandatory interview with the supervisor. Repeated offences would see loss of accreditation which prevents you logging into that company's computer system.

Their is also Transport Enforcement, a government agency which will stop cabs for random inspections. they will issue fines for breaches of regulations such as unauthorised drivers, failure to display ID plate, EFTPOS not working, and meter set correctly (most now have auto set meters), and check vehicle condition. Recently a Brisbane driver was fined AUD1000 (~THB30,000) for ID not displayed and EFTPOS not working.

Edited by halloween

how about pattaya and chiang mai ???? they got Taxi meter cars driving but they are not alloyed to take any passenger by local mafia. in pataya they only taxi you to bkk airport without meter and in chiang mai they can only take you from airport or if you call them by phone and they never open the meter at all. compared to that is bkk a taxi heaven.... police here is a great topic for itself

Is there any particular discreet phone number that we can report these abuses, as well as of these motorcycle taxi drivers drunk , that even in their parking terminal they are showing off their drinking "capabilities"? Do we need pictures for proof?

Is there any particular discreet phone number that we can report these abuses, as well as of these motorcycle taxi drivers drunk , that even in their parking terminal they are showing off their drinking "capabilities"? Do we need pictures for proof?

Call 1584

Also see here for my story and outcome. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/722829-Do-your-part.--Report-taxi-drivers-who-refuse-you.

ha ha as i did post before on this subject, once again last night , early, at 8pm 4 taxis refused to take me (and yes i am a smart person), i was stood right by 2 cops, i gestured to taxis as one by one they pulled up and refused, and then pointed to the cops, and all i got back was 2 smiles times 4, in reality probably too much hassle, and nothing in it for them, easier to pick up fines from the "NO HELMET" brigade,

Just spent the last two days exploring the sites around the Palace in Bangkok with a relative.

Impossible to get a taxi to take us and put his meter on. Tried dozens. All wanted 150 - 200 baht for a ride to Khow San Rd and very abusive. Metered its 40baht.

This is probably the worst area to haul meter taxi. Should just walk a bit from the buzz of the Palace / Wat Pho toward Sanam Chai or Maha Rat and only there look for a moving taxi.