Airport Link operator mulls commercial development of land around stations

webfact

Airport Link operator mulls commercial development of land around stations

BANGKOK, 23 October 2014 (NNT) - Airport Link operator State Railway of Thailand Electrified Train (SRTET) is pushing ahead with the planned commercial development of plots of land around rail link stations.

The operator, which is a subsidiary of SRT, is considering developing these plots jointly with the private sector under the Public-Private Partnership Act.

As a major landlord, the SRT may develop its land as parking space and other commercial projects. Feasibility studies are being carried out to finalize details of the projects.

The operator also revealed that it is planning to scrap the baggage check-in service for passengers as the number of passengers using the service has consistently been low.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-24 footer_n.gif

Maybe they should try fixing their trains and make a plan for scheduled maintenance . . . or actually learn how to run a rail system BEFORE thinking about frivolous things.

They aren't thinking about frivolous things. These 'frivolous' things, as you put it, are being seriously mulled. And mulling is good, it shows maturity. Had the Airport Rail Link been mulled beforehand, it would be running more efficiently. I think all projects should be thoroughly mulled before construction.

• Like 1

Maybe they should try fixing their trains and make a plan for scheduled maintenance . . . or actually learn how to run a rail system BEFORE thinking about frivolous things.

They aren't thinking about frivolous things. These 'frivolous' things, as you put it, are being seriously mulled. And mulling is good, it shows maturity. Had the Airport Rail Link been mulled beforehand, it would be running more efficiently. I think all projects should be thoroughly mulled before construction.

Had the ARL been properly mulled, they never would have built the Makassan station as an airport transfer hub and never would have launched the Express Rail service. ARL is an essential part of the BKK mass transit system. There's no other mass transport for the large residential communities being built near Prawet and Lat Krabang. The City Link trains are only 3 cars long, and can't even run every 15 minutes anymore. There's no point developing commercial space next to the stations unless they have commenced a satisfactory plan for improving the actual rail service. The system is already operating at its current maximum capacity, because there was no planning for the demand from the rapidly expanding East Bangkok population.

• Like 2

went to Bangkok last week and traveled back to the airport to miss the traffic jams well what a joke I understand that they have 2 types of trains fast through to airport and one that stops at every station on the way ,but on this occasion only the train that stops at each station was available ok that is not so bad but the train was full if you had lugage there would be no chance to get on .On arriving at the station a sign where you purchase the ticket NO FAST TRAINS OUT OF SERVICE.Money could be well spent on improving this service ,what a great way to start your vacation and your first impression of Thailand and you know what they say about frst impresions.

went to Bangkok last week and traveled back to the airport to miss the traffic jams well what a joke I understand that they have 2 types of trains fast through to airport and one that stops at every station on the way ,but on this occasion only the train that stops at each station was available ok that is not so bad but the train was full if you had lugage there would be no chance to get on .On arriving at the station a sign where you purchase the ticket NO FAST TRAINS OUT OF SERVICE.Money could be well spent on improving this service ,what a great way to start your vacation and your first impression of Thailand and you know what they say about frst impresions.

The express train has now been stopped. I used to catch it all the time and it was quick and there was always loads of room to sit. That was the problem. Hardly anyone used it so it wasn't commercially viable. Like you said, they need to improve the standard service. Add on a couple of carraiges and provide space for luggage. The problem when you arrive in Makasan is the lack of a taxi rank.

There has already been one shopping arcade built alongside and attached to the Rhamkhamheng ARL station. Construction is pretty much completed but most retail spaces still vacant. It will be interesting to see how well it matures as a shopping destination.

Part of the construction is a long needed footbridge spanning Soi Rhamkhamheng, providing a direct link to the Nasa Vegas Hotel. I believe they have also installed a "DOWN" escalator from the train platform to street level; a most welcome addition.

In the light of the recent train servicing fiasco, i should think they should worry and concentrate more on that!

Agreed. If they have money to develop land, why is that money not being spent on train maintainence FIRST.

There is more tea in buildings than in rolling stocks and steel.

'The operator also revealed that it is planning to scrap the baggage check-in service for passengers as the number of passengers using the service has consistently been low.' Surprise, surprise! At least, apparently to the SRTET. Not, I imagine, to anyone fearing loss of their baggage before it even reaches the airport.else.

I trust they will develop plots utilising the expertise of those who know, rather than relying on that of those who cannot even competently run the actual service.