Will be coming to Thailand for few months, please advise a city to live

3xpat

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spend quite a bit of time in Chiang Mai. The City is rather busy but the villages outside of the City are fab! and you won't be too isolated that you start to feel & look like Doug McClure in " The People that time forgot " ( a cool movie...)

I found rooms from just 1000 baht a month to about 3,500 baht per month for a house with garden!

( In and around the City studios from 3,500 to 4,000 furnished ikea style )

Kind respect to " the late and the great Doug McClure " clap2.gif

• Like 1

Jomtien Beach, just 2k south of Pattaya. Mostly a nice sea breeze, studio (with kitchen) for 10,000-20,000 baht a month, foreign restaurants.

I have been in many places in Thailand, but for me this is the best. Everything you need is nearby around Pattaya: restaurants, shopping malls, cinema's and lot's of places for a day trip (just google).

You can find girls 'for money', but - like everywhere - also there are many 'normal working' girls around who like to date a good looking, not too old guy !

You could also try a Thai dating site for that.

Jomtien Beach, just 2k south of Pattaya. Mostly a nice sea breeze, studio (with kitchen) for 10,000-20,000 baht a month, foreign restaurants.

I have been in many places in Thailand, but for me this is the best. Everything you need is nearby around Pattaya: restaurants, shopping malls, cinema's and lot's of places for a day trip (just google).

You can find girls 'for money', but - like everywhere - also there are many 'normal working' girls around who like to date a good looking, not too old guy !

Jomtien is a nice area but 10,000 baht a month is absolutely ridiculously expensive! I was in Jomtien a couple of months back and found a nice complex ( very large ) with pools and everything and very quiet too! it was at the end of Jomtien beach and a good 15 minute walk from the beach! The rooms were massive with large balconies but they were looking for 8,000 baht a month rent! Nobody was renting them at that price and within a few minutes dropped the price to around 6,000 per month! I am sure i could of pinned them down to 5,000 baht a month in the end!

F.J x

Everything on your list is in Pattaya plus only 1.5 hours to Bangkok. If you also like adult "entertainment" then Pattaya is the ONLY place !

To be honest I never pay for sex or gfe and would rather take a girl to a restaurant. Also I prefer girls that are intelligent, have office job or business, so they are genuinely interested in a farang as a source of wit and pleasure, not money or family :)

Get off your high horse. No one is interested in how you conduct your life.....same to be said of me....but for one difference, being, I dont aspire to be a people regulator.

Jomtien is a nice area but 10,000 baht a month is absolutely ridiculously expensive! I was in Jomtien a couple of months back and found a nice complex ( very large ) with pools and everything and very quiet too! it was at the end of Jomtien beach and a good 15 minute walk from the beach! The rooms were massive with large balconies but they were looking for 8,000 baht a month rent! Nobody was renting them at that price and within a few minutes dropped the price to around 6,000 per month! I am sure i could of pinned them down to 5,000 baht a month in the end!

F.J x

Geezus.....your pretty good for a bloke in another forum posted on and on about living on 6000 baht per month.

You also mentioned VERY easy to live on 300 a day.

Back to the OP. The member that mentioned Bang Saen and Cha am...good places. Personally I like Koh Chang, could easy spend few months there. White sands beach etc. The huts are comfortable and very cheap. I rent one on cliff over water. Only 350/night. There are many places that would do you good monthly rate. Still better spend each month in different place

Edited by jacksam

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

F.J x

10.000 baht or 8000 or 6000 baht... is 2-4000 baht the difference between 'absolutely ridiculously expensive' and cheap???
Indeed, I know a place for 7000 baht a month, excluded el/w.... but the OP likes a nice view.
I live in a studio, right at the beach, with a stunning view. For me that is worth to pay 15,000 instead of 8000. Plus the convenience to just need to walk 2-5 minutes to reach shops, market, restaurants, 10-baht taxis to Pattaya...

It is up to the OP (and his budget): bury himself far away in maybe a boring place, or pay a bit more and live in a nice place !???

Prices also depend on the season: in my building in low season prices might be around 15,000... but 25,000 in high season.

(And for 3 months: don't buy a motorbike, rent it! But be sure it is fully insured !)

Edited by Kees5555

Ok simple choice then You can rent studio apt. everything included for about 3,500 baht a month poddy tat cheap, western food in mall south of beach street, plenty bars for fresh slightly used ladies. bike rental cheap. close enough to BKK but far enough not to be bothered. The King has palace there so be repectful while there Meaning if King gets on road to go someplace you get off. People friendly low drama.But if have to go to BKK short van ride drops you off at victory next to steps to BTS.

Everything on your list is in Pattaya plus only 1.5 hours to Bangkok. If you also like adult "entertainment" then Pattaya is the ONLY place !

To be honest I never pay for sex or gfe and would rather take a girl to a restaurant. Also I prefer girls that are intelligent, have office job or business, so they are genuinely interested in a farang as a source of wit and pleasure, not money or family smile.png

You looking for the wrong country !!

No money for - for - for - 5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

F.J x

10.000 baht or 8000 or 6000 baht... is 2-4000 baht the difference between 'absolutely ridiculously expensive' and cheap???

Indeed, I know a place for 7000 baht a month, excluded el/w.... but the OP likes a nice view.

I live in a studio, right at the beach, with a stunning view. For me that is worth to pay 15,000 instead of 8000. Plus the convenience to just need to walk 2-5 minutes to reach shops, market, restaurants, 10-baht taxis to Pattaya...

It is up to the OP (and his budget): bury himself far away in maybe a boring place, or pay a bit more and live in a nice place !???

Prices also depend on the season: in my building in low season prices might be around 15,000... but 25,000 in high season.

(And for 3 months: don't buy a motorbike, rent it! But be sure it is fully insured !)

Motorbike!!?? Why waste money on one of those things when you can buy a seriously cool bicycle ( with basket & bell ) for just 1,500 baht in Big C .Much better for you and we have the perfect weather for bike rides!

Are you a bit lazy viewers....?

Farang Jaidee x

I would like to recommend a little fishing village south of Pattaya/Jomtien called "Bangsaree", opposite Nong Nooch tropical gardens and just south of the new Cartoon Network fun park. It has a growing expat community with new condos and housing estates going up everywhere there. There are accommodations available for almost any Budget I think. Restaurants and take out food for every taste. The village is still an active fishing village with fishing boats and harbor. Two of Thailand's most famous fish restaurants lie just by the fishing boat pier with excellent seafood for good prices. Always full in the weekends with Thais.

It is far enough away from Pattaya and Jomtien but not so far as being inconveniently far, easy ride up to Pattaya/Jomtien for shopping or anything else like tourist attractions/tours and other stuff.

And on the end you will spend even more money with them !

No money - no honey !! This is Thailand !

And young educated inelectual Thais not look to any farong,

they piss on you !!

Thats Thailand today !!

I would like to recommend a little fishing village south of Pattaya/Jomtien called "Bangsaree", opposite Nong Nooch tropical gardens and just south of the new Cartoon Network fun park. It has a growing expat community with new condos and housing estates going up everywhere there. There are accommodations available for almost any Budget I think. Restaurants and take out food for every taste. The village is still an active fishing village with fishing boats and harbor. Two of Thailand's most famous fish restaurants lie just by the fishing boat pier with excellent seafood for good prices. Always full in the weekends with Thais.

It is far enough away from Pattaya and Jomtien but not so far as being inconveniently far, easy ride up to Pattaya/Jomtien for shopping or anything else like tourist attractions/tours and other stuff.

I totally agree its a fab place and has the most gorgeous beach for soaking up the sun most afternoons but the rents are very expensive! Although lots of new empty condos there so I guess with a bit footwork you should be able to get a one bedroom down to about 5,000 on a yearly contract ! ( not 8,000 as I have seen! lol )

F.J x

To be honest I never pay for sex or gfe and would rather take a girl to a restaurant. Also I prefer girls that are intelligent, have office job or business, so they are genuinely interested in a farang as a source of wit and pleasure, not money or family smile.png

you always "pay" for sex- one way or another

Only " our more gullible farang " pays for sex in Thailand ....I don't know of anybody who lives here in Thailand and pays for sex or live in maid service. I only read about it here on Thai Visa ! Greetings to you all viewers!

Farang Jaidee x

you always "pay" for sex- one way or another

I would be OK to pay for sex, because it wold be cheaper, but sex sucks usually when you pay for it, so it's a dead end. But tipping a Thai girl afterwards is a smart move I recon..... They see it as a sign of respect

A freelance project? Do you have a "B" VISA along with a Work Permit?

working over internet

Hence SinCityGr8One's question.

Gotta a feeling the OP won't have enough time if he thinks Thailand is a turnkey operation. Or he will have a lot more time than he wanted.

I totally agree its a fab place and has the most gorgeous beach for soaking up the sun most afternoons but the rents are very expensive! Although lots of new empty condos there so I guess with a bit footwork you should be able to get a one bedroom down to about 5,000 on a yearly contract ! ( not 8,000 as I have seen! lol )

F.J x

Hells bells,.... Get over yourself canarysun.

All your posts in most forums lecture about how you live your life.....walk 15 km every day...and live on 6000/month. You seem to have traveled a lot in Thailand on that budget (which I do not believe) I don't suggest anyone should do this or that, or live a certain way.

. Bang Saray is a good suggestion.

Leave it at that. Your pep talks about walking and buying your fruit for lunch for 15baht are just plain boring.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

A freelance project? Do you have a "B" VISA along with a Work Permit?

working over internet

Hence SinCityGr8One's question.

Gotta a feeling the OP won't have enough time if he thinks Thailand is a turnkey operation. Or he will have a lot more time than he wanted.

I am working on a project already, I just need internet and apartment. This project has nothing to do with Thailand, I can live anywhere. But I've been to Thailand several times and I love it, only I never stayed more than few weeks. I am quitting my job as a programmer in Singapore to relocate to some nice and cheap place (or places)

The reason I want to keep costs low for the moment is I need some stability and then we shall see. So 3000-5000 for an apartments sounds good and I have a feeling that I can get a condo studio with a small kitchen or even a small house outside of CM for this price.

I am not a big of a drinker, so I don't really need nightlife, more some meetups with other expats, some nice restaurants and ladies who understand that a farang can give much more than just money :)

OP , unless I missed it , you haven't outlined a monthly budget to have this nice view and couple of beers. Not to mention the ...." Money for nothing and chicks for free.."

You must have a wad behind you if you were a programmer in Singa. ....geez if I didn't drink and chase ladies I would have to donate to charities.

When you find the joint in Thailand where in all possible ways you don't pay for sex......let us know.

Mind you in your own words ...you enjoy witty, intelligent convo........ Heck that sounds boring.

I am working on a project already, I just need internet and apartment. This project has nothing to do with Thailand, I can live anywhere. But I've been to Thailand several times and I love it, only I never stayed more than few weeks. I am quitting my job as a programmer in Singapore to relocate to some nice and cheap place (or places)

The reason I want to keep costs low for the moment is I need some stability and then we shall see. So 3000-5000 for an apartments sounds good and I have a feeling that I can get a condo studio with a small kitchen or even a small house outside of CM for this price.

I am not a big of a drinker, so I don't really need nightlife, more some meetups with other expats, some nice restaurants and ladies who understand that a farang can give much more than just money smile.png

Do a search about working online in Thailand.

You may be surprised what "work" can mean.

It could mean you keep your head down and keep quiet about what you are doing and all will be good, or it could mean your arrest and deportation.

Up to you what you, do but at least make yourself aware of what working can be defined as.

One of your ladies might just take offence at the tip you give her, or lack thereof, and report you

I am not a big of a drinker, so I don't really need nightlife, more some meetups with other expats, some nice restaurants and ladies who understand that a farang can give much more than just money smile.png

Do a search about working online in Thailand.

You may be surprised what "work" can mean.

It could mean you keep your head down and keep quiet about what you are doing and all will be good, or it could mean your arrest and deportation.

Up to you what you, do but at least make yourself aware of what working can be defined as.

One of your ladies might just take offence at the tip you give her, or lack thereof, and report you

thanks, got it