Thai constitution drafters look to German model of elections

webfact

According to a ruling of the German Constitution Court the Voting Law in Germany is AGAINST the [so called] Constitution [Grundgesetz] !

All elections in Germany since the late 1950s are as such illegal !!!

Germany is surely NOT an example of how to do things [unless you want to be a US colonie what Germany or better the BRD GmbH is !]

Prove me wrong before making any of this funny !

Germany is the prototype of a State-Corporation with private ownership !

Quite frankly, I think you don't know what you are talking about. You are slandering Germany, one of the most democratic states worldwide, and what you are saying is misleading. The German constitutional Court only criticised the system by which additional seats are granted to the bigger parties due to them winning more direct seats (list A) than on the proportional list B. This system has now been properly amended . In short, the principle is that half the members of Parliament are directly elected in constituencies, the other half is elected by a Party list - voters have two votes, one for List A and the other for List B, which is the decisive one. Obviously all directly elected candidates get seats, but if the total of the directly elected members belonging to a party exceeds the percentage that the same party gets on the Party list, the other parties are compensated by additional seats. This is to make sure that the will of the people as a whole is properly represented in Parliament.

I am not saying that the German system is perfect, there is no perfect democratic system. Each system has its drawbacks, but in Germany this system has been working very well since 1949.

I really can't understand your last sentence. What you are saying is most certainly not funny, it is idiotic and slanderous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

According to a ruling of the German Constitution Court the Voting Law in Germany is AGAINST the [so called] Constitution [Grundgesetz] !

All elections in Germany since the late 1950s are as such illegal !!!

Germany is surely NOT an example of how to do things [unless you want to be a US colonie what Germany or better the BRD GmbH is !]

Prove me wrong before making any of this funny !

Germany is the prototype of a State-Corporation with private ownership !

Quite frankly, I think you don't know what you are talking about. You are slandering Germany, one of the most democratic states worldwide, and what you are saying is misleading. The German constitutional Court only criticised the system by which additional seats are granted to the bigger parties due to them winning more direct seats (list A) than on the proportional list B. This system has now been properly amended . In short, the principle is that half the members of Parliament are directly elected in constituencies, the other half is elected by a Party list - voters have two votes, one for List A and the other for List B, which is the decisive one. Obviously all directly elected candidates get seats, but if the total of the directly elected members belonging to a party exceeds the percentage that the same party gets on the Party list, the other parties are compensated by additional seats. This is to make sure that the will of the people as a whole is properly represented in Parliament.

I am not saying that the German system is perfect, there is no perfect democratic system. Each system has its drawbacks, but in Germany this system has been working very well since 1949.

I really can't understand your last sentence. What you are saying is most certainly not funny, it is idiotic and slanderous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The German system was designed to ensure proper representation and to make sure one party could not manipulate the system and gain control of government with a minority vote.

Understandable why such a similar system would be attractive here.

Germany has a federal system. Suggestions that Thailand would benefit from elected provincial governors were poopooed by the previous regime who wanted to install their own people. In the German system the federal states governments play a role through the Bundesrat of the second chamber. Would Thailand be adopting that model too which would then mean a senate, elected or appointed is not required?

The German system works very well in Germany. Extremism and single part domination has been neutered and there are good checks and balances. Institutions like works councils ensure all stakeholders interests are represented in decisions.

However, the German history and culture is very different to Thailand. They cannot simply adopt a model without behavior changes. And that hasn't changed in Thailand for some considerable time.

I can just feel a protest coming up time to get my whistle out and my waving big hand and a few changes of T shirts and take to the streets and up to airport to get back to the Thai way fed up with the German way now give parliament back to the Thais they now best.

Under Germanys proportional representation system, the number of representatives from a political party elected to parliament is based solely on the percentage of votes the party receives in the election.

so how does this jive with MPs not needing to be part of a party?

You are right! It's completely incoherent! And these are the people who will write the charter?

Germany is an immature democracy. Any country that is so constitutionally fragile that it must ban and outlaw not only designated political parties but political opinion and even clothing with political opinions on them is no model for the world. Not to mention banning publications and even speech. Freedom of political speech, no matter how repellant to the majority or the plurality, is the one and only criteria for a strong democracy. Germany doesn't fit that role.

That's odd....i wasn't aware that vote buying, threats made concerning the 'correct' party to vote for etc were part of the German model !

They are looking at the pre 1945 German model!!coffee1.gif

My first thought about the headline too ("Which year German model are they talking about?). I'm surprised it took 3 posts to get there...

Until this junta has reduced corruption, at the very least by a substantial amount, it doesn't matter what constitution or electoral system is used.

Develop a climate where good Law is applied impartially, and the population can be proud of it.

Priorities, dear General. Priorities !

Germany is an immature democracy. Any country that is so constitutionally fragile that it must ban and outlaw not only designated political parties but political opinion and even clothing with political opinions on them is no model for the world. Not to mention banning publications and even speech. Freedom of political speech, no matter how repellant to the majority or the plurality, is the one and only criteria for a strong democracy. Germany doesn't fit that role.

so true. Few politicians have the conviction or strength of character to support this level of freedom. In the face of the next election, moral principles take second place.

"Freedom includes the right to say what others may object to and resent...the essence of citizenship is to be tolerant of strong and provocative words" John Diefenbaker