Phuket Or Bangkok

N47HAN

I see people giving very biased answer here, might be cause this is phuket forum.

I can give you better answer, i know bangkok like my plam lived in many thai nighburhood for years and phuket spend 4 months in total

Tell me what are your inersts and i can give you better answer.

Phuket:

+diving, Climate, beaches, natural scenery, fishing, bike riding.....( i like and do all of them)

Bangkok

+Girls, food, people diversity, purely thai culture, cheaper shopping, better sport facilities, business opportunity ....

I understand that Phuket has what bangkok offers, but they suck in term of quality

If i had one option for lifetime, i would go for Bangkok, i won't regrat

Edited by BKKDUDE

I think answers to this question will be very subjective. Depends what you want to do. Will you be working? or retired? are you a beach person? etc etc.

I faced a similar choice when I first moved back to Thailand (from the UK). I grew up in Bangkok and my parents still live there. I love Bangkok for the eating out, the shopping, nightlife etc. But for me, the traffic and pollution make Bangkok unbearable for anything longer than a few days.

I guess it boils down to whether you want to live in a city or by the beach. Employment options are obviously much better in Bangkok. But if you want to be by the beach and you have to work at the same time, Phuket is probably the best place in Thailand to do that.

i love bangkok. i was based there for about 6 years and had a great time. i made lots of friends, and found it to be very convenient.

for the past few months i have been living on phuket. i love the beach (but dont get to go there too often as i work 6 days a week), it has lots of good food etc.

i guess at the moment i am a little torn. i miss my friends in bangkok and at the moment am a tad lonely because i have just moved house into a new neighborhood, but i guess that will pass. but i love the air down here, the beauty of the island, and i am slowly getting to know people.

not a real answer to your question, but its honest at least....

I have lived in both and while I generally prefer Phuket I do sometimes miss the greater variety of entertainment options that Bangkok offers.

I would give Phuket the edge overall from a lifesyle perspective but personally I would be happy enough to live in either place.

Phuket is increasingly overdeveloped, terrible roadworks (that are going to last at least another 1.5 years!), poor selection of import beers, limited selection of shops, beaches can be nice but overcrowded.

All that said not a bad place to live if you choose the right location.

People are nice here, lots of bars, some parts of the island still feel tropical, great if you want to make money in property development.

Phuket is increasingly overdeveloped, terrible roadworks (that are going to last at least another 1.5 years!), poor selection of import beers, limited selection of shops, beaches can be nice but overcrowded.

All that said not a bad place to live if you choose the right location.

People are nice here, lots of bars, some parts of the island still feel tropical, great if you want to make money in property development.

Depends on where you are. Some beaches are crowded, others are almost deserted. Some parts are very developed, others not at all. That's one of the reasons I like it in that there is pretty much something for everyone.

I'm based in the north of the island and haven't noticed any major traffic works now that the bypass road has been widened, Where is it that you are refering to?

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

I spent the last couple of years in BKK and time before that in HuaHin ...

After watching people get sick and sick and sick from the air quality etc in BKK ... Phuket was an easy choice. Hua Hin was OK ... but honestly it was boring! Phuket has far more options! Plus is cooler ... has fresh air ... is still green! etc etc

Edited by jdinasia

I'm based in the north of the island and haven't noticed any major traffic works now that the bypass road has been widened, Where is it that you are refering to?

Virtually the entire south of the island. Jaofa West, Rawai Road are awaful and will take over a year to complete. There are also plenty of other "plans" for road developments.

The north should be okay for roads but be aware that there are many, many developments planned up there now. They are really going to start aiming at the North East of the island now as everywhere else has been built on, the North West is already getting pretty crowded and the South is jam packed.

You are right though, there are places to go if you are in the know but the amount of developments are a concern. I know people who were here five or ten years ago who can hardly recognise the island.

Virtually the entire south of the island. Jaofa West, Rawai Road are awaful and will take over a year to complete. There are also plenty of other "plans" for road developments.

The north should be okay for roads but be aware that there are many, many developments planned up there now. They are really going to start aiming at the North East of the island now as everywhere else has been built on, the North West is already getting pretty crowded and the South is jam packed.

You are right though, there are places to go if you are in the know but the amount of developments are a concern. I know people who were here five or ten years ago who can hardly recognise the island.

Haven't been down to the Southern end for a long time now. Do you know if it is a continuation of the widening that has been done on the bypass road or something else entirely?

I agree that there are a lot of new developments but provided that they are done tastefully, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if it brings new and better facilities. Most new developments up north seem to be high end and not too intrusive. I love going to Nai Thon, Nai Yang and Mai Khao beaches and they are still very quiet and I think that they will remain so for the forseeable future.

If i had to choose anywhere beside bangkok, then

1- Chiang mai (better scenery, development and people)

2- Koh Samui+ panghan & Tao (better scenery, cheaper, Not many old men with little wee girls, yuk :o )

3-Phuket or Krabi (heard many moved from phuket to krabi, never been there, not sure how good it is )

Edited by BKKDUDE

Well Pattaya would be number 1 choice - has everything you need and more. However between BKK/Phuket - def Phuket. :o

I have been phuket thrice, and after going to samui for first time, i can say in term of development and services samui is as good as phuket, while less prostitution and more younger Genuine class of

tourist.

I like phuket surronding like surin, phangna,... and closer kamala, bang tao...

I will give walking street in pattaya higher ranking than Patong :

Edited by BKKDUDE

Well Pattaya would be number 1 choice - has everything you need and more. However between BKK/Phuket - def Phuket. :o

I have been phuket thrice, and after going to samui for first time, i can say in term of development and services samui is as good as phuket, while less prostitution and more younger Genuine class of

tourist.

I like phuket surronding like surin, phangna,... and closer kamala, bang tao...

I will give walking street in pattaya higher ranking than Patong :

As for Patters - don't need be in the central area unless thats what you want, but I certainly think it would satisfy his requirements for high speed internet, relatively cheap, beach and expat scene.

I have lived in Bangkok, Phuket and now Koh Samui. They all have their plusses and minuses and depends on your lifestyle choices. To me the only real problems with Bangkok are the polution and the traffic at peak times. Bangkok is relatively cheaper to live than either Phuket and Samui - for rent, food, clothes, taxis (especially compared to Samui), it has better overall entertainment opportunities (not just girls, but also live music, shows etc), has better variety of life and yet is still within relatively short distance (within 3 hour drive) to beaches etc if that is what you want.

Phuket missess out on the "big city" advantages but makes up for it in my opinion in having nearly all of the facilities needed (decent shops, restaurants, schools, bars etc) while still allowing you to live in a quiet coconut grove or near a beach etc. It has one huge advantage over Koh Samui in that is the bridge to the mainland allowing you the freedom of driving off the Island - when I get a day off in Samui I still cannot get away from the place without flying or queuing for a ferry, so there is a potential tendencey to get Island fever. Now that I have a mariage visa I also miss the opportunity to do a visa run (sad but true). Phuket also has better roads than Samui and I believe the Phuket indiginous people are generally more friendly toward farangs than Samui indiginous people.

I like the beaches so the choice is between Samui and Phuket (only been to Pattaya once and that was at Loi Kratong so really cannot comment but when I get time I would like to go and look around more) and while I currently live in Samui, I am making plans to some back to Phuket as my first choice location.

... I believe the Phuket indiginous people are generally more friendly toward farangs than Samui indiginous people.

Fully agree with this, people on Samui are now so unfriendly. It used to be my favourite place in Thailand up to about 6 years ago. When the bungalows started getting replaced by the boutique resorts and all the reggae bars turned into Adidas and Nike shops, things really took a turn for the worst. Now the locals in Samui are the most unfriendly bunch i have ever come across in Thailand - and I am Thai, so its not a communication issue.

Phuket for all its development is still a pretty friendly place.

I think the difference between Phuket and Samui is that Phuket is not just about the tourist areas. Phuket Town is a decent sized town/city with a lot of commerce and activities, much of which existed long before tourism and is not dependent on it. Na Thon on Samui, although growing, is much smaller and doesn't have much going for it apart from being the main ferry port for the island.

If you want to compare beaches, Phuket wins every time. :o

The only thing Samui has got that Phuket doesn't is two high seasons, which i must admit is a big advantage.

I agree that phuket is less dependant on tourist than samui, because phuket surrounding is much larger area and connected to whole thailand from northern part through land road, while i was surprsied to see so many shops and business in such small island like samui, and No. business/No. tourists ratio isn't what expected, and that's cause unfriendliness toward outsiders.

I remember once a travel agent is samui told me this because i tried to bargain on ticket fair back

to bangkok: You are such a low class person :D:o

I didn't take this to my heart, and i could understand that their business must be suffering really bad because most come to samui in hope of making some earning :D

As for Patters - don't need be in the central area unless thats what you want, but I certainly think it would satisfy his requirements for high speed internet, relatively cheap, beach and expat scene .

Should that not have read, high speed internet, Beach and cheap expat scene?

Bangkok get's my vote everytime.

Ive spent time in CM and BKK and Ive travelled around most of Thailand, again its all down to what you like, for me Issan is the Thailand the Thai's know , thats why most of the peeple you ask come from there, in BKK. CM and Phuket. I live in Phuket now I feel it has most of what you need, yes it can be expensive but you can go out to the beach or the bar!! try that in Issan... :D and the beach in BKK yes you have the bars there but god the heat on a still day !

Well Pattaya would be number 1 choice - has everything you need and more. However between BKK/Phuket - def Phuket. :D

Ive spent time in CM and BKK and Ive travelled around most of Thailand, again its all down to what you like, for me Issan is the Thailand the Thai's know , thats why most of the peeple you ask come from there, in BKK. CM and Phuket. I live in Phuket now I feel it has most of what you need, yes it can be expensive but you can go out to the beach or the bar!! try that in Issan... :D and the beach in BKK yes you have the bars there but god the heat on a still day !

Girls smile in bangkok and all over isaarn pierce a deep hole through my heart, where you get that

sensation with worn out leechy women in phuket or samui :o

Edited by BKKDUDE

Well Pattaya would be number 1 choice - has everything you need and more. However between BKK/Phuket - def Phuket. :D

Girls smile in bangkok and all over isaarn pierce a deep hole through my heart, where you get that

sensation with worn out leechy women in phuket or samui :o

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but I personally find women from Phuket and elsewhere in Southern Thailand to be the most attractive of all. Having said that a large percentage of the women (and men of course) that you meet in Phuket are from other areas of Thailand (including Isaan and Bangkok) so I'm not sure why you find them 'leechy' or worn out.

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly but I personally find women from Phuket and elsewhere in Southern Thailand to be the most attractive of all.

You're not wrong there colonel. Hat Yai girls are my favourite.

BKKDUDE - Whats a worn out leechy woman anyway - an old woman covered in leeches?

Anyway, old worn out woman need loving too. Which reminds me of a line from one of the Carry On films.

Matron: "Young chickens may be soft and tender but the older birds have more on them."

Sid James: "Yes. And take a lot more stuffing."

:o

ohhh, matron!!

I spent a large part of my life living and working in Bangkok. Once the kid got old enough I decided to move out. The air was terrible and it just became a big chore to get anywhere or really do anything mildly different.

I moved out to the country and have had no regrets. The air, the nature, the people are just of a better quality.

I have spent some time in Phuket and I was quietly impressed. It is fresh, it has a holiday feel about it. It must be healthier for the mind body and soul to live in Phuket.

Pity so many one month tourists go there.

BKKDude's 3 trips to Phuket have given him great insight <bah>

I'm talking about girls you find around patong or where else farang hang out.

Let's put "tiger or safari clubs in Phuket" as example. Girls avarge age is 30 yo, too hard to find

anything less than 26 yo, and most given birth to 1-2 child and very needy. I found some of them

like to be dominant in their relation with poor sex hungry dumb shit farang. Girls i have seen in RCA

or ratchadaphesik HW are byond compare with phuket girls in sence of beauty and intellect.

Yes, Girls coming from bangkok for holiday in phuket, but eventuly go back to bangkok

BKKDude's 3 trips to Phuket have given him great insight <bah>

I'm talking about girls you find around patong or where else farang hang out.

Let's put "tiger or safari clubs in Phuket" as example. Girls avarge age is 30 yo, too hard to find

anything less than 26 yo, and most given birth to 1-2 child and very needy. I found some of them

like to be dominant in their relation with poor sex hungry dumb shit farang. Girls i have seen in RCA

or ratchadaphesik HW are byond compare with phuket girls in sence of beauty and intellect.

Yes, Girls coming from bangkok for holiday in phuket, but eventuly go back to bangkok

LOL ... like I said ... your three trips here have given you so much insight!

Comparing Bangla to RCA or Ratchada ? 55555