Looking for tips about Khao Kalok

pinkpanther99

Hi there

I'm planning a trip out of Hua Hin on Sunday as was thinking of visiting Khao Kalok.

I've never been before but was just looking for any general info on how to get there, good restaurants, how good is the beach etc?

I've found a bit of info via Google but always enjoy reading first hand info for stuff like this.

Any info greatly appreciated

I would rather visit another place than Khao Lak, maybe Ko Samui ?

Khao Lak an artificial place, created mainly for elderly German and Scandi tourists, nothing to do but some beach time on mainly service and comfort - free beaches. Scuba Diving is an ( expensive ) option.

Prices are extremely high for that what you get ( even higher than in Hua Hin ) and good food is hard to find.

Don't waste your time and money, go somewhere else and have fun :)

HI there - previous poster I think has misread. Seems to be talking about another island whereas Khao Kalok is south of where you are visiting ie Hua HIn

We live in the area. In terms of the beach -it's pretty nice. Thai ambience (not many foreigners here). A popular spot for the Bangkok buses of co workers and weekenders Lots of stalls selling street food behind the beach. Beach is generally fairly clean but if there has been a big event on the beach for the Bangkok visitors the night before, unfortunately little if any clearing up done.

Lovely temple here (small but very different to most), long beach (hardly any one on it - even with the Bangkok visitors who get off the bus, have a look, perhaps have a lunch at most and then retreat out of the sun). Some nice resorts along the beach.

Excellent restaurants. If you travel up the coast from KK there's Nid's Bar and restaurant: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g667502-d7383901-Reviews-Nid_s_Bar_and_Restaurant-Pran_Buri_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html which is a lovely beachside restaurant and she cleans her beach. There is a kite school right next door

If you like seafood worth a trip further up the coast to Ox Sea food http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g667502-d3229741-Reviews-OX_seafood-Pran_Buri_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html.

Plus oodles of other restaurants, Thai and Farang or a mixture

When I say travel up the coast I am talking a short scooter or car ride. Note that the road at the far end is under reconstruction so a detour left and then right is required

We live here as overall it is like Thailand was about 20 years ago - not to everyone's taste perhaps but that's the best way I can describe it

Have fun if you come down here

• Like 1

I would rather visit another place than Khao Lak, maybe Ko Samui ?

Khao Lak an artificial place, created mainly for elderly German and Scandi tourists, nothing to do but some beach time on mainly service and comfort - free beaches. Scuba Diving is an ( expensive ) option.

Prices are extremely high for that what you get ( even higher than in Hua Hin ) and good food is hard to find.

Don't waste your time and money, go somewhere else and have fun smile.png

pinkpanther99 was inquiring about Khao Kalok not Khao Lak. Khao Kalok is at the southern end of the long beach from Paknampran stretching all the way to Khao Kalok. It makes for a nice excursion from Hua Hin for a day or just a few hours. The beach is quite pleasant with white sand and I think there are some caves in the Khao Kalok Rock to visit. Weekends get a bit busy with Thai travelers mostly from Bangkok, but it should not be really crowded except maybe on a long holiday weekend. There is a new colourful temple following the road on the other side of the rock, and from the next beach you will already see Dolphin bay with its beautiful small rocky islands. There are plenty of restaurants, unfortunately the one right on the beach after the temple I mentioned and facing Dolphin Bay is not as good as it used to be.

I agree with carolineess.

I live in Hua Hin and I am often there.

I have never seen crowds there.

Lots of resorts – bit pricey though.

Restaurants on the beach are lovely.

Best to come with your own car.

If you go to eat in Paknampran see in the Udom Potchana restaurant (before Ox Seefood). It lies direct at the beach with nice places to sit and quick service, and whenever you order a meal the owner serves you a dish free of charge.

Apart from a small stretch the road from Praknampran to Khao Kalok has just been finished. Fantastic ride now all along the beach for miles. Stop for a swim anywhere in between, you rarely see anybody around.

Due to the Evason hotel on the way there are shops around (massage, restaurants, motorbike rentals, taxis, even an Indian tailor!)

Go further down to Khao Kalok, much nicer there. Small street food stalls in front of the rock. Weekend trippers on the beach. Sometimes school classes. Beach chair is 20 Baht. See the temple (as mentioned), very unusually style. Go little bit further and sit in a restaurant at the corner of the next endless beach. Small fishing boats lying around. Area behind the beach is rural Thailand, sleepy villages, coconut plantations, small ponds, grazing cattle.

All very lovely

• Like 1