Shooting Cobra (or Not)?

dippyrick

I LIVED IN THE NORTH EAST WITH MY WIFE AND FAMILY FOR 5 YEARS NOW.

AND O.K. OUT IN THE STICKS YOU EXPECT TO HAVE THE OCCASIONAL UNWELCOME VISITOR.

WHEN (approx. 2 or 3 times per year) I HAVE SEEN COBRA'S PREVIOUSLY I ENJOY THIS CLOSENESS TO NATURE WITH A DAVID ATTENBOROUGH/STEVE IRWIN KIND OF WONDER.

HOWEVER WHEN ONE OF THE SERPENTS DECIDES TO LIVE IN THE TAPIOCCA FIELD AJACENT TO MY HOUSE . 5 SIGHTINGS IN THE LAST WEEK (i.e. porch/garrage/back yard etc.)

I THINK ACTION NEEDS TO BE TAKEN.

I NO NOTHING ABOUT GUNS WHATSOEVER .WILL A AIRGUN DO THE JOB??AND CAN A FARRANG (legally)PURCHASE SUCH A THING???

THE LOCAL'S ADVISE THE USE OF A BIG STICK .BUT THAT'S NOT FOR ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN SOME SHARPSHOOTER SHARE THE KNOWLEDGE.THANX.

Don’t forget that Cobra’s shoot back, normally a blast of venom straight in you’re eyes,

Dippyrick,

Go see your local cop and promise him a box of beers if he comes around and takes out the varmint. Had something like this happen in the village house years back where the cobra got under the huge reefer we had for the shop. Wife's Mama's cat clued in my wife that it was under there (hissing at the reefer and would not go away even when wife gave it a kick). Wife looks under the fridge, spots the cobra, runs away screaming. Thai village guys come along and dispatch the thing with sticks and sharpened 'hoe', and yes, they cooked it and ate it later. Also had one get up in our ceiling once. Never saw it, but it left it's shed skin up there. Big one if the skin was anything to go by. Certain times of the year they are much more active and moving about day and night. Breeding season now? I can't remember when it is.

Cent

Edited by Cent

I had the same problem last year and killed a Indo Chinese Spitting Cobra that was in Grandma's bathroom. I regret doing it because the snake was not aggressive at all, even grandma said I shouldn't have killed it. Normaly I wouldn't have but my wife was 5 months pregnant and I was a paranoid father to be. We have had 2 more since and I have shooed them away. Just use a long stick and be sure to wear glasses because some are spitters. Keep in mind in India people let them live in their houses to keep rats away and I have never heard of anyone in the village being bitten. Also be wary of offering money or beer to locals for snake removal, so enterprising Thai might get the idea to plant cobras at your house on a regular bases for a weekly salary :o

post-30049-1156052935_thumb.jpg

Just put the word out amongst the Thai guys and you will find there will be a mob of them willing and eager to get rid of the snake.

I find the best snake killing implement to be the thai style long handled shovell. Just keep wacking it on the back of the neck untill there are no more signs of life.

good advice so far but can you take a bit more.

I realise you are a relative newcomer to Forums, so a can I give you some advice?

When you post in Capitals thats the equivilent of shouting.

good luck here

i agree good advice so far (in lower case)

have presently got some workers in clearing rubble ajacent to my land and choppin down all kinds of greenary(shame because i like the green--but needs must)

breeding season aye .................intresting.

when it starts raining they come out .......

not sure that chopping too much down is gonna help as they live in holes ...... but having clear areas to play in and walk around are good ....

always good to sweep up loose leaf matter etc too ...

good advice so far but can you take a bit more.

I realise you are a relative newcomer to Forums, so a can I give you some advice?

When you post in Capitals thats the equivilent of shouting.

good luck here

i agree good advice so far (in lower case)

have presently got some workers in clearing rubble ajacent to my land and choppin down all kinds of greenary(shame because i like the green--but needs must)

breeding season aye .................intresting.

:o

i feel bad doing so, but when my neighbour got panicky about a 6ft king cobra last year, being the hunter gather type ,thought I'd be the hero. my dog found it hiding in the garage behind some junk when i started poking around it came at me, obviously being as cool as i was i leapt into the air screaming, the snake missed and turned around , which is when I threw my trusty prawn spear , bang on target but in the middle of its body still trashing around. to cut a long story short the locals came and nicked it.so there was no new shoes or anything.

but the moral of the story is unless its living too close and you or your kids are likely to tread on it, they'll keep well away from you. otherwise they arnt too difficult to kill.

I really dont think out here anyone is going to come with a bag and release it into a new habitat. they'll just eat it anyway.

no you cant legally own an airgun in thailand unless it is registered, and i believe it is not usually possible for frangs to register and own one.

you can however buy crossbows, or you could try a catapult/slingshot - get one with surgical latex bands and fire ball bearings or marlbes - has a lot more power than an airgun, although not so much accuracy.

It is pretty easy to remove snakes yourself if you want. Get a hollow bamboo, metal, or stiff pvc tube about, say, 5-6 feet long, and then thread some thin rope through it and back again so that a noose sticks out of one end. You can then put the noose around the snake's neck at a safe distance and then pull the rope to tighten the noose around the snake just behind the head. What you do with it then is up to you!

Edited by qualtrough