Resettlement

Dear Scouse et all,

I will be relocating to the UK in the next couple of years with my wife (Thai) & daughter (duel). I have been working in Thailand and will be relocating to the UK to complete my studies & whilst I do this and we save for a house deposit we will be living with my parents.

At time of moving we will have been married about 4 years and will have been in a relationship for about 5 years. We are planning to use my parents as a financial guarantee until we are up and running. Is this possible owing to the fact that we will be living with them? At time of moving my wife will have made aprox 7 visits to UK with me.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Sav

Hi Savage,

Yes, that's perfectly possible. Additionally, if you married in Thailand and have spent at least 4 years as a couple in Thailand, your wife should be granted indefinite leave to enter, rather than the probationary 2 years.

Cheers,

Scouse.

See also Guidance - Husbands, wives and partners, Spouses/civil partners and how they qualify and The maintenance and accommodation requirements.

If the accommodation is not owned by the couple (or one of them), the Rules require that there be adequate accommodation which is for their exclusive use. This need not be as elaborate as a self-contained flat. It is acceptable for a couple to live in an existing household, e.g. that of a parent, uncle, aunt, sibling or friend, as long as they have at least a bedroom for their exclusive use.

If the couple have children with them there must be additional adequate accommodation for them (section below on overcrowding gives a formula for maximum numbers of persons allowed).