ToT Internet

Dirk_brijs

The UPS is great. I've had it for 2 years now. Keeps my PC on even when the power is cut and protects all the electronic stuff from getting zapped during lightning storms.

From what this guy said, it got zapped. And probably saved my modem. Unfortunately, it's out of action now! At least for the phone line part.

Mod Rimmer has had his modem zapped a few times. One time, you could actually see black marks where the phone line went into the modem!

BTW you don't need the phone line for the UPS to work :)

The UPS is great. I've had it for 2 years now. Keeps my PC on even when the power is cut and protects all the electronic stuff from getting zapped during lightning storms.

From what this guy said, it got zapped. And probably saved my modem. Unfortunately, it's out of action now! At least for the phone line part.

Mod Rimmer has had his modem zapped a few times. One time, you could actually see black marks where the phone line went into the modem!

BTW you don't need the phone line for the UPS to work smile.png

I'll get one of these.

What happens with me is that when we get a power cut, or simply a one or two second power trip, my computer goes off (obviously) but also the phone and internet connection does not come back for maybe 15 minutes or so. When I pick up the phone after one of these short 'trips' it has the engaged tone. Two days ago we had 3 of these trips. Pretty annoying as you have to re-boot and wait for phone line.

I'm no electrical guru but I always understood phones continued to work without electricity.

Anyway, thanks for advice.

Yes, aware of how the UPS works. I've had one for years even back in the US and also had the phone line plugged into it for protection. But new to me that it's possible for it to get fried! 5555

I have my PC, monitor and modem plugged into the UPS. When the power goes out....which is often, I don't have a "hard" shutdown for these devices. And from what I understand, it's common during these events for power to spike. Something electronics don't like! I also have my TV plugged into one. But not my house alarm, which the technician just told me got fried due to these spikes. Need to find one just for it some day....

Many times when the power goes off, so does the phone connection. Not all the time, but sometimes. So even if the modem is connected to the UPS, you might not have a phone connection. My guess is some piece of their equipment got shut down somewhere along the line?

This is spooky!. Today (15th) my internet is working perfectly but the phone line is dead. How can that be?. I have a TOT line in and a 'splitter' to serve the computer and phone. I've checked my phone in a second line I have in the bedroom and it still does not work.

Obviously, I recognise the phone apparatus itself could be defective but, is it possible to have the internet working but the phone not? Usually, it's the other way round.

Signed

Confused darkside facepalm.gif

This is spooky!. Today (15th) my internet is working perfectly but the phone line is dead. How can that be?. I have a TOT line in and a 'splitter' to serve the computer and phone. I've checked my phone in a second line I have in the bedroom and it still does not work.

Obviously, I recognise the phone apparatus itself could be defective but, is it possible to have the internet working but the phone not? Usually, it's the other way round.

Signed

Yes, it's possible. The phone signal comes from the TOT office and the internet signal comes from a DSLAM box mounted on a pole. It happens to me all the time. A call to TOT (1100) takes care of it. But one time I did have a failure with a telephone instrument.

Signed

Yes, it's possible. The phone signal comes from the TOT office and the internet signal comes from a DSLAM box mounted on a pole. It happens to me all the time. A call to TOT (1100) takes care of it. But one time I did have a failure with a telephone instrument.

Thanks a lot BB. My LCD display on the phone still works but the line is dead. You've answered the question for me, that one can work without the other. I'll wait a couple of days (holiday etc) and see what happens. Not a great inconvenience.thumbsup.gif