Cajun & Mexican Food

JJDinsay

The best Mexican Food I have ever had anywhere outside of the US was at a place in Pattya called Tequila Reef on Soi 6. I can recommend it without qualification.

As for Bangkok, well, Doug Harrison has a Mexican buffet at Bourbon Street on Tuesdays, I think. The food is plentiful, but not really great. And there used to be a Senior Pico in the Rembrandt Hotel, although I'm not certain it's still there. If it isn't, good riddance. It was terrible and very expensive.

That's about it.

Bourbon Street is okay for Cajun food. The Mexican food in Bangkok sucks. If you are from Mexico or a US border state like California or Texas, you will want to vomit if you eat the crap that passes for Mexican food in Bangkok. If you want something other than Thai food, I suggest Japanese (very cheap at the ever present Fuji Restaurant chain), Middle Eastern (several places in the Sukhumvit Soi 3, 5 area), Indian food, Italian food, etc.

Guest chingy
The Mexican food in Bangkok sucks. If you are from Mexico or a US border state like California or Texas, you will want to vomit if you eat the crap that passes for Mexican food in Bangkok

i been searching for a good mexican rest. a few week back till now i been to 3-4 mexican rest. in bangkok and all of them taste like crap, still haven't found a good one yet

as was discussed last year on a similar thread, in order to have good LA style mex food you have to kidnap mexican chefs, their wives and children and pack into a container with cornmeal and limestone for corn tortillas...later to arrive on savage asian shores to bring proper cuisine to the world...including 50 different types of chiles, chocolate and turkey farms for pavo en mole, carnitas, birria and the famous plate of grease as the numero uno for hangover cure.

Until then BKK shall remain a provincial town with absurd pretentions to international cuisine...

Anybody know of a good place for Cajun or Mexican Food in BKK?  Thai food is getting to me so I need a break.  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaze!

Can't even get good cajun food in the states out side of Louisiana or S.E. Texas. I doubt you will find good mexican or cajun food in BKK. My advice to you is, eat in better quality restaurants or find a Thai gf that knows how to cook. Have you tried Isaan cooking? many regional specialties in LOS, can't believe you're bored with Thai food already.

Guest chingy

i have done a little research of my own, to open a mexican rest in bangkok, i even go as far as hire a real mexican chief in southern Cali, from what i understand on my research that Thai people do not like Mexican food, if you think im wrong than feel free to do your own research.

chingy...sod the locals and their gastronomical preferences...could you see a carnitas burrito liberally dosed with nam pla and chiles such that you coudn't eat it? Even the sour cream would play ###### with asian lactose intolerance. So...sod them...falang food for falangs, anyone that could offer reasonably authentic LA style mex food would have plenty of falang clientele and not to worry about our disapproving asian friends...(no...you must eat it with your fingers mr kon thai...)

Guest chingy

very true tutsiwarrior, i have thought of that, falang clientele only would not make me rich, i also notice that even tho thailand have almost all the ingredient to make mexican food but somehow it does not taste the same, for instand the beef smell really bad and tought like jerky.

If someone reading this will open the restaurant I will cook the food. I cook my own Mexican food at home here in Bangers. Just like a German hankering bock and sausages, it's a little reminder of home. Mexican food is about the only thing I really miss about California.

Chingy,

for instand the beef smell really bad and tought like jerky.

I don't know how much time you have spent in Mexico, But where in mexico [except the border where they sell USDA beef] did you find good flavored,tender beef? I will admit tho that mexican beef doesn't stink as bad as thai beef ,and the flavor is better.

Does anyone know what the Thai do to the beef to make it so repulsive? I have eaten brahma beef in the states and mexico and some had a good flavor and was good beef if fed right.if not then it was tough.

when you see the miserable emaciated cattle grazing by the roadside in rural thailand one thinks that they are not raised for human consumption (maybe for fertilizer???). At the local market here I tried to get a pork vendor to put a cut of beef through his grinder and he refused presumably to not contaminate his equipment with unsuitable flesh. So, yeah...no ground beef for tacos and the like but there is excellent pork loin for carnitas and one could go down south and enslave some muslims to take their goats for birria and other dishes...

this does put a damper on possible arrangements that require beef (those that like beef 'fajitas...(what?)' please go to McDonalds as no such dish exists in mexico). The expense of importing aussie beef would nullify one wonderful aspect of mexican food...that it is cheap as well as tasty...

mexican bandits...'oye, dicen que alla en thailandia tienen que conseguir el bife de otras partes por afuera y que es caro como el oro...'

derisive tubercular laughter

chief bandit Alfonso Bedoya: 'estos gringos ignorantes no saben nada...si no hay carne hay que hacer un barbacoa de un ninocito nomas...'

bandit hilarity...

TUTSI; We buy ground beef at MARKO in Phitsanulok sometimes and it ain't to bad,you can use it to make chili,I got some chili powder from a friend in the states, in fact he sent me a big box of asst. spices.

I use the beef to make chili with pintos that I get from Pataya,use it in spagetti sauce,stuffed bell peppers and once in a meat loaf, But I look at the meat and smell it before I have it ground,,I did buy some ground beef in CARREFORE in CM once,and it was run so tight that it was just red slime and had a hard time even gettin the dog to eat it.

We have bought a few fillets of beef here,but even after washing in salt/vinegar water and storing in the reefer for a week,they are charcoal broiled and even with a maranade and a lot of spice,they still so nasty tasting I can't eat em.

So I have figured that anymore beef will have to come from SIAM FOODS in BKK and be american beef at a cost of about 1500 baht a kilo. They say they will pack with dry ice in a cooler and ship Blue bus from BKK.

Guest chingy
I don't know how much time you have spent in Mexico, But where in mexico [except the border where they sell USDA beef]did you find good flavored,tender beef? I will admit tho that mexican beef doesn't stink as bad as thai beef ,and the flavor is better.

i live next to the border of Tijuana down in sanDiego about an 1hr drive, mostly the family head down there for some sea food and mexican food, we travel pretty deep down (maybe half way) by boat or by car along the gulf of mexico.

I think now aday im affraid of those mad cow disease so i temp to cook my meat a little well done, usually i like my meat medium cook.

As for the smell the thai beef does smell, maybe its just me, i really miss those american beef(drooling)

CHINGY, I lived in ensenada for a couple of years,but I bought a lot of beef and other meat wholesale over in chula vista at a wholesale house,but all the beef that was sold in ensenada at GIGANTE and the other big markets was american slaughter house meat,but when i lived down at Guerro Negro and over on the mainland in colima,Guadalajara and manzanillo all we got was mex grassbelly beef.

Same kinda cows here,so I don't know why the meat stinks so bad,don't smell good even after we get it home and my wife washes it well in salt/vinegar water and rinses it,and still stinks up the fridge and tasts awful. Coarse she does the same with the pork loins we buy as the Thai ain't to handy with a knife and gut cut em,and without washing the gut juice off when fresh,it does tend to flavor the meat.

I did kill a woodland moose late in the year once that had been eating nothing but alder twigs and bark,which they do in the rockys when the snow gets deep and it tasted about the same as thai beef,TERRIBLE.