E-tickets

libya 115

I have just booked and paid for a flight online. It is an 'e-ticket'. The airline company said they would send me an email with flight details and advice of payment etc.

They did not; so I called them and they said use their web page and retrieve the booking with my six digit 'Amadeus' code.

I did that and printed it off. Is that enough for me to present at Check-in?

How do e-tickets work? Surely paperless tickets is not rocket science and should have been done years ago?

Why are paper (hard) tickets still issued? Are they of monetary value? Are there any pitfalls regarding e-tickets?

http://www.airfares.com.sg/FAQ/e_ticket.htm

Introduction of E-Ticket

For some flight bookings, you will be given an Electronic Ticket (E-Ticket), which is a new form of Ticketless Travel introduced by the airlines. With Ticketless travel, you will not have any traditional Physical or Manual Air Ticket, and instead you will be given a printout copy of an E-Ticket Receipt and a copy of your Flight Itinerary.

How to check in with E-Ticket?

At the airport check-in counter, you will be required to present your Passport to receive your Boarding Pass. We do, however, recommend that you bring along your Electronic Ticket (E-Ticket) Receipt and your Flight Itinerary when you travel ticketless, in case the immigration authorities require proof of purchase.

Example -E ticket

eg_of_eticket.jpg

Example of an Itinerary

eg_itinerary.jpg

I have just booked and paid for a flight online. It is an 'e-ticket'. The airline company said they would send me an email with flight details and advice of payment etc.

They did not; so I called them and they said use their web page and retrieve the booking with my six digit 'Amadeus' code.

How do e-tickets work? Surely paperless tickets is not rocket science and should have been done years ago?

Why are paper (hard) tickets still issued? Are they of monetary value? Are there any pitfalls regarding e-tickets?

Paperless for whom ? If airlines still require you to carry a print of your reservation/receipt, why not carry the good old ticket ?

e-ticket is good for the airlines as it nearly forces you to use one airline all the way and make it more cumbersome to switch airlines compared to an OPEN caarier OPEN dated paper ticket.

Make sure you have a copy as if the computer does not work on departure.....

Actually, you do not have to print out the e-ticket. At check in the booking reference number is sufficient. You have to give this number, which is shown on the e-ticket, and present the same credit card used for booking.

OK, I do print out that thing in order I have something in my hands with all details, ETD, ETA etc.

Guess the advantage is more on the airline/travel agent side, they don't have to print a ticket anymore, you do it. They don't have to send a messenger to deliver the ticket (or you do not have to go to pick it up), it's in your computer.

Finally, for the airline it's less paperwork. They don't have to collect the individual ticket portions, send it in for their accounting etc. Everything for them is paperless.

I've used it a few times, I use the print out too because as Axel points out, it is handy to have it all written down in one spot. Normally you just need your passport to check in.

Also you don't run the risk of losing the return half of the ticket. I did this some years ago with a return leg Geneva/London, and although they had all the details in their computer they still charged me 120CHF (3600 baht) to print a new ticket..

Hi Libya115

Hard IATA tickets where issued so that the passenger was aware of the conditions of carriage, all carriers subscribe to one convention or another be it Warsaw, Hague or Montreal etc. These lay down the amount of compensation one would be entitled to in the event of an incident and formed part of the ticket

Insurers like this as it enables them to to limit their liability. However I have yet to come across anyone who has ever actually read the wording.

Moving with the times I suppose the shift to E ticketing was inevitable.

TBWG :o

Also you can usually x refer with your FF and CCs.

Many Airports check youself in on their machine where you can usually pick your seat /meals as well.

(Thai in domestic @ Don.M-KLM @ London City)..etc..)

One day it will be all ..almost ....automatic.... :o

For a non international flight in Oz, you no longer need to check in unless you have too much luggage.

Arrive at departures, key in your name or booking number at an ATM (automatic ticketing machine), choose your seat by selection on screen, recieve boarding pass from machine and go to boarding gate.

I have never had to wait at ATM.

Give me E-ticket every time.

Thanks to all replies. BambinA explained with attachments well.

So, I have a print out from the airline website: but this just has my 6 figure reference number and flight details: hope that is enough?

As I said they did not as promised email a proper receipt for the money paid by VISA plus another thing, on <checkmytrip.net> the 6 figure code is unrecognised.

Anyway, it looks like I won't be refused if I have my print-out from the airline website and of course my passport.

I have commonly encountered situations where the printed e-ticket itinerary was demanded (such as at a security station). One time I had a hard time finding it and asked if this is really required. They said it was. I also have heard if you are bumped off a plane for whatever reason (airline goes bust) having a retro paper ticket puts you at an advantage. Still, I really like e-tickets because you don't have to worry about losing it. If you did lose the printout, you can always print another one from the website.

Edited by Thaiquila

I have commonly encountered situations where the printed e-ticket itinerary was demanded (such as at a security station). One time I had a hard time finding it and asked if this is really required. They said it was. I also have heard if you are bumped off a plane for whatever reason (airline goes bust) having a retro paper ticket puts you at an advantage. Still, I really like e-tickets because you don't have to worry about losing it. If you did lose the printout, you can always print another one from the website.

I agree, e-tickets are great. Almost too good to be true, but as you said better to have a printed itinery in hand.

Little chance of Emirates airlines going bust, inchallah.

Rinrada: C/C are credit cards what are F/F?

E-tickets are certainly not as great for the punter as they appear. It is amazing how many people make mistakes with something like return dates on a non changeble ticket. On an electronic ticket these can not be changed unless revalidating which has to be done through a consolidator or airline and then being a non changeble ticket can not be changed.

On a paper ticket an agent can put on a reval sticker to show the new dates ( a little dodgy but has been happening for years.

What is in it for the airlines. Paper tickets have been costing the airlines millions of $$$$ each year. The main reason being is that on electronic tickets the records are never lost and regardless of whether the passenger flies or not the airlines will always get their money. With online agreements such as Thai and lufthasia who codeshare (meaning you have paid for a lufthansia ticket from bkk to zrh bangkok to zurich and your flight from Bkk to fra is actually on thai. Thai will only get their money from that service and agreement after that flight sector or segment has finished and the coupon collected. If a passanger decides not to travel on the return leg and not utilise the service, the coupon is never redeemed and the money stays with whoever the ticket was plated with (in this case Lufthansia).

One more example. On a round the world ticket star alliance for example 26,000 miles. must have a minimum 3 stops and maximum 5 stops on the whole trip. In the past an agent may have accidently not checked the minimum stops and only had 2 not 3. The airline or consolidator can not ticket due to not meeting requirments. An agent (in the past) could easily make a stop at the last transfer point for lets say 2 days now giving the ticket the required 3 stops. all gets ticketed. Once the ticket has been issued a reval sticker is placed on the ticket back to the original date wanted back to 2 stops again. By the time the passanger gets to the last transfer point all the other coupons have been pulled out of the ticket and the check in staff have no idea how many stops have been taken. Dodgy yes but did it happen alot yes!

Electronic tickets are a dream for airlines. They love it. Everything is black and white and no dodgeyness can take place from tavel agents. Overall E-tickets are for the better of the industry but for travel agents they are certainly alot more restrictive.

I would rather have an E ticket but....Every and I do mean every flight we have taken between the US and Thailand we where required to have a hard ticket no E tickets allowed.

It really does depend on the airline and airport you are travelling to and from.

It is being phased in with airlines but costs money and time.

In The Rai!