Child Benefit - Uk

Hi Folks

Hope this is the right place for this question.

My wife and I have just had our first child in the UK and are now receiving child benefit for him.

We are planning to return to SE Asia soon and wonder if we would have any difficulties continuing the claim. I'm aware that we are not entitled to it. (Seems ironic that people now coming from places such as Greece or Poland to the UK can claim benefits for themselves AND child benefit for children at home in their respective countries - I'd like to make it clear that I do not resent this in any way but I am dissappointed that we're not entitled because we're not in in Europe)

I'm just wondering if anybody from the UK has any advice or personal experience in this matter.

I think you have answered your own question.

Whilst it is possible that the DSS (or who-ever) would continue to pay Child Benefit being unaware that you are not entitled to it you will be comitting fraud.

And that is your choice.

Child Benefit is now dealt with by the Inland Revenue...ie the TAX MAN :D

Bit of info if u go abroad.....

I want go to live abroad or visit? :D

You must tell us straight away if you, your child, children or all of you leave the UK permanently or for an absence that is likely to last for more than a year when you leave.

If you are going abroad permanently but your child is staying in the UK and living with someone else, the person they are staying with should get in touch with us and claim Child Benefit.

If you go abroad temporarily you can continue to get Child Benefit...

for up to 8 weeks, whatever the reason for your absence

for the first 12 weeks you are abroad if you go or stay abroad because you are, or a member of your family is, receiving treatment for an illness or disability or because a member of your family has died.

You must tell us if you are going abroad longer than this.

If you left the UK after the 6 April 2003, you will be treated as being abroad temporarily if your absence is unlikely to last for more than a year when you leave.

If your right to stay in the UK is under a limit or condition and you have been getting Child Benefit since before 7 October 1996 you may lose the right to get Child Benefit again if you stay abroad for more than 8 weeks.

If you want to know more about this, get in touch with the Child Benefit Office.

If your child goes abroad temporarily you can continue to get Child Benefit for them for up to 12 weeks.

You must tell us if your child is leaving the UK for more than 12 weeks.

If your child is temporarily abroad for more than 12 weeks you may still get Child Benefit if they are abroad only for one of the following reasons:

to receive full-time education in an EEA country or Switzerland

to make an educational or foreign visit that is approved in writing by their school

to get medical treatment for an illness that began before the child left the UK. :o