Armchair estimates: Soluna hit by motorbike

Seems reasonable, finish? Well that may be another thing but it seems you're not all that concerned with finish at the moment, and getting repaired will slow any further damage like with rust so I'd go for it.

Ermm based on the part he has masked (which IMO is not enough masking there is going to be quite a bit of over spray on old paint, especially on the roof and hood) why is he seemingly painting the back door only a few inches over and not the whole thing? He should be going all the way to the next door opening gap and doing both doors entirely gap to gap and also not masking the bottom of the rear door so the paint blends from panel to panel if he stops in the middle of the door it will not blend as well and the new paint will be far more obvious next to the old paint especially with uneven edges. On another note this old guy looks like the same guy that painted 2 of my previous cars though. That guy did a decent job for the money but he didn't listen when I asked him NOT to paint the lower air dam as I had spent hours prepping it for a special flexible paint made for that part of the bumper cover and it wasn't to be glossy but matt, silly too because not only did he do more work by not paying full attention but he used more paint then if he had understood properly in spite of him saying he did and ultimately he ruined my prep and end resulting finish too.

I can see seals exposed all over the place too, going to be a fair bit of overspray on the seals, get a hold of some WD40 and a few single edged razor blades to remove it, you're going to need it. If you use the WD40 quickly while the paint is fresh it'll come off pretty easily but you may need to use the single edged razor blades to gently rub off the thicker parts.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Looks a decent job to me. He has removed the lock and handle, many wouldn't and would just mask around them. He has wet the ground to stop the spray action drawing dust up as it would otherwise.

Warpy if he paints the rear door to the next panel gap there will be an obvious distinction between the new and old paint. In this case obviously he plans to feather it, an established practice. Once flatted, buffed and polish it should be much less noticeable. Anyway lets see how it looks when finished. I think Claire will be pleased

I understand feathering, but I disagree, it never looks as good feathering as it does going to a gap, there is always going to be difference but it is less catching to the eye to go to a gap instead. I can spot feathering in a heart beat whereas painting and then feathering in a sense, to a gap, is nearly impossible to detect if one does it correctly

Well I'm really not that picky.. and the guy did come recommended by 2-3 people whose opinions I trust. I just hated to spend the money, and care more about how the door/window works, particularly the door seal, than the details of the look. It should be done in a day or two, and I'll post some pics.

Next step will be changing the tint on the drivers door window, and maybe the passenger side as well.

I understand feathering, but I disagree, it never looks as good feathering as it does going to a gap, there is always going to be difference but it is less catching to the eye to go to a gap instead. I can spot feathering in a heart beat whereas painting and then feathering in a sense, to a gap, is nearly impossible to detect if one does it correctly

Ummm, it is a budget slap happy repair on a vehicle that is worth zero. Why pay the extra to do the job properly ?

they blend the paint into the adjoining panel for a reason versus painting to an edge (have a look at silver (extremely hard colour to match) cars that have only had a door painted rather than blended into the adjoining panels).

No disputing, for the money it looks far better then the big dent and hole in it, but difficult to tell from that angle with that light just how good the blend is. But for your purposes it's an obvious improvement and also looks as if they did a good job cleaning up too unless, you also did a bit of your own?

Don, going to an edge just looks like a shadow especially if the edge is uneven like a door edge, very hard to tell otherwise, where as an experienced eye can tell a blend immediately on any paint color and as it ages at different rates it gets even more obvious.

No disputing, for the money it looks far better then the big dent and hole in it, but difficult to tell from that angle with that light just how good the blend is. But for your purposes it's an obvious improvement and also looks as if they did a good job cleaning up too unless, you also did a bit of your own?

Don, going to an edge just looks like a shadow especially if the edge is uneven like a door edge, very hard to tell otherwise, where as an experienced eye can tell a blend immediately on any paint color and as it ages at different rates it gets even more obvious.

As you can clearly see when looking at the repaired door to the front fender.... the paint match is a bit off.... if it was blended into the fender (like the rear door) this mis-match would not be as noticeable.

3500 is a decent price for the repair though and not to be sneezed at.

Edited by Don Mega